Who's teaching what?????

Here's the place to offer suggestions for future SummerFests & WinterFests, talk about past events, post pictures and videos or share experiences from past Fests.

Moderator: gmattson

Raffi Derderian

Who's teaching what?????

Post by Raffi Derderian »

I though with camp just two weeks away some of the teachers might want to give a preview of what they were going to present to everyone.
I will focus on flow drills a lot. Mostly with the knife because that seems to be what everyone likes the most. These drills will smooth out your hands like nothing else. They will enhance your martial art whether it is Uechi, Kenpo, Name-your-ryu, etc.
I am also going to teach Espada e Daga, or stick and knife method of fighting. Using the stick in one hand with the knife in the other. Don't know how popular this will be, but it is fun. And of course, there will be a double stick and single stick class. If time permits, I like to do a Jun Fan JKD class.
I would love to teach a class on the fundementals of Muay Thai. However, I did this at Winterfest and I don't think it went over too well. If anyone wants this, they should post here or on my forum.
Lastly, of course, is the Killshot competition. Because we don't have many signed up for it yet, I don't want to use up my class slot for just this. What I'd like to do is maybe on Friday night, have a workshop before or after dinner and just go over it with everybody. We want to give a good show for Sat evening for sure.
Can't wait to see everyone. Lots of classes I am dying to take. (Dave Elkins, you have a cane for me I hope...)
Raf

[This message has been edited by Raffi Derderian (edited July 29, 2000).]
mikemurphy

Who's teaching what?????

Post by mikemurphy »

Good idea Raf!

This year, I'm going to take time off from the Nihon Jujitsu, as there are many people coming with some very good backgrounds to teach it (plus the Kyushu camp). So, this year, I am going to teach some seminars on how to PRESENT kata, bunkai, kumite, and sparring to those who are looking at tests in the near future. Considering the problems we have experienced at the tests and the attempt at standardization, it seems to be an appropriate topic for a few seminars.

mike murphy
RACastanet

Who's teaching what?????

Post by RACastanet »

Murphy sensei: Sounds like something I might be interested in as I am looking at testing in November.

Raffi sensei: I think there is more interest in the KS tournament than appears on the forum. There are no doubt a few lurkers who just do not post, a few who have not followed the posts to know about it and a few who are waiting to see who shows up for it. Do a morning announcement for a lunchtime or dinner gathering on Friday to get the info out and a get group assembled. I'm sure Bill G. sensei will jump in as well as many others. You may have to limit entries!

Regards, Rich
gmattson
Site Admin

Who's teaching what?????

Post by gmattson »

I believe you are correct Rich. Most people will just "show up"! Be prepared for a big crowd.

------------------
GEM
RACastanet

Who's teaching what?????

Post by RACastanet »

GEM: Yes, Raffi has a good following. I looked at the Friday schedule again, the updated July 28 version, and I cannot find a 3 to 4 pm column. My old computer may be stuck on an old cache though. Mike or Raffi, take a look to see if I'm maybe just missing the forest for the trees.

Raffi: You may need to have divisions set up to accommodate everyone. How is this kind of tournament structured?

Mike and GEM again: I would like to be current in what is expected of a dan candidate. What would you two recommend, a few hours with Mike or staying close to the candidates for the Friday test in the morning to see what they are taught? As always, my concern is to maximize the value of camp including Raffi, David and his cane, Roy Bedard, test brush up, Blauer......... Aieeeeeeee!!!!!

So little time.

Thanks, Rich C.
gmattson
Site Admin

Who's teaching what?????

Post by gmattson »

Rich:
The Seniors had a fantastic meeting today and have resolved many of the questions and concerns regarding the dan test.

Mike and Gene will be sending out a detailed report concerning this meeting on IUKF eGroup. Many of us will be conducting seminars at camp concerning test standards for those who were unable to attend this morning's meeting.

------------------
GEM
RACastanet

Who's teaching what?????

Post by RACastanet »

Thanks. I'm looking forward to the report and camp sessions.
Rich
mikemurphy

Who's teaching what?????

Post by mikemurphy »

I see that Mattson sensei has me scheduled for some grappling seminars. That's cool. Since we are moving to a more real scenario of fighting, since there will be a good number of grapplers there, I will again teach the kubatan to those who wish to learn it. We will work sequence technique and get as "real" as we can. Sound like fun?!?!?!?

Cya there!

mike
gmattson
Site Admin

Who's teaching what?????

Post by gmattson »

Mike:
I believe you asked me to set up a kind of specialized seminar, which included takedowns. I put your name in the generic category of "grappling". You are free to do whatever you had in mind. I just couldn't find your e-mail when creating the schedule.

Whatever you do, I'm sure participants will enjoy the experience.

------------------
GEM

Return to “Fests_News”