Are we all wearing purple?

A forum dedicated to the creative expressions, inspirations, hopes and dreams of fellow Karateka.
natalie lane

Post by natalie lane »

A friend gave me this last year, I don't know the who the author is.

When I am an old woman, I shall wear purple

With a red hat which doesn’t go

And doesn’t suit me

And I shall spend my pension on

Brandy and summer gloves

And satin sandals, and say we have

No money for butter

And I shall sit down on the pavement

When I’m tired

And gobble up samples in shops

And press alarm bells

And make up for the sobriety of

My youth

I shall go out in my slippers

In the rain

And pick the flowers in other

Peoples’ gardens

And learn to spit

But maybe I ought to practice a

Little now

So people who know me are not too

Shocked and surprised

When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple
Jackie Olsen

Post by Jackie Olsen »

First the Baby Boomer quiz ... now this! Actually, Natalie, that is from a book by the same name. I remember reading it over ten years ago, and didn't really get it.

Now, 10 years older (and wiser, I hope), it sure makes a lot of sense. Only, in my case, instead of purple, I now started wearing what moves me or expresses my nature today. I've seem to have given up "power" dressing (for the time being at least, unless I fall back into the corporate world). People tell me I can get away with "dress casual" because I'm one of those "creatives," which suits me fine.

Yes, woudn't it be wonderful if we all danced to our inner tune? However, I heard this from a Greek philsopher, I think: "As a child constructs and orders his world, the adult learns to deconstruct it as he ages."

Thanks for sharing...Jackie

[This message has been edited by Jackie Olsen (edited 12-02-98).]
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

There is also a great poster with this poem and a neat picture of an older woman wearing purple and a fabulous smile. Bought it for my Mom who had the class to not kick me and actually hung it in her dining room.

Why wait till we're old to wear purple or whatever moves us? Carpe Diem!!!!!!!!!

JohnC
natalie lane

Post by natalie lane »

Jackie and John-

Thanks for your replies. When my friend gave me the poem, he said it reminded him of me when he read it. He said I was already wearing purple often (figuratively-I mostly wear neutrals, haha), and I wasn't sure if he was saying I was strange or it was a compliment. But I didn't really care, I liked the poem, and the message behind it, so I took it as a great compliment. I'm trying to be sure that my youth isn't too sober.

Natalie
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

Purple? Hmm......Nope, how about you all joining me and Glasheen sensei in wearing green gis to summer camp next year?
Rich
moulton

Post by moulton »

What happened to them last summer?
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

Last summer. Well, I did wear it in the morning, and have a few nice photos with Uechi sensei, Khoury sensei a few others with myself showing the nice green gi . As you recall it was very warm, and the gi isof grappling weight so it was too uncomfortable to wear in the afternoon sun.
BTW, no obvious grass stains despite rolling around on the ground.

Rich
moulton

Post by moulton »

Hello Rich. I wonder if beacuse they absorb heat and are heavy is why they didn't become popular at the summer camp several years ago. I was thinking fishnet gis would be cooler and still wouldn't gather many grass stains. -- Allen
Lori

Post by Lori »

Allen-san!

Fishnet!! GASP! What a suggestion!

Rich,

Saw your green gi - it made an interesting fashion statement though I understand the practicality of it! Kind of like dressing kids in dark colors so the dirt doesn't show!

Natalie,

You are so right! I live in kind of a "good ole' boys" part of the country - aside from the teenage rebellious fashion choices - any deviations from the norm get strange looks - even wearing a hat! Don't wait 'til you're old to express your inner spirit!

Return to “Creative Heart & Soul Forum”