"We are all one..."

A forum dedicated to the creative expressions, inspirations, hopes and dreams of fellow Karateka.
david

"We are all one..."

Post by david »

Going to the post office on the edge of Chinatown, I saw an old Chinese lady trying to cross the intersection. She stepped off the curb and badly twisted her ankle on the slushy snow. She likely broke it entirely given the weird angle in which the foot was hanging. Fortunately, a Black male right behind the old woman caught her from behind just before she hit the snow. He singularly dragged/carried her back onto the side walk by the time I got/slid across the snow covered street. He held her up while I ran to the nearest newspaper box and appropriated a stack of newspapers for 50 cents. I went back and put the papers down on top of the snow and we sat her down.

Not many folks were around given the pace of the falling snow. Fortunately, a business man (suit, tie and all,) driving by, stopped when he saw us. With his cell phone, he called the ambulance and took off. The Black guy asked me for my name and number and said he had to go. I asked why he needed my info. He said to verify to his supervisor why he's late back from lunch. I gave him the info and thanked him for helping the old lady. He replied, "No need, Man. We're all One..." He took off. I was left kneeling -- huddling -- over the sitting woman with an umbrella against the wind and snow. Took about 15 or 20 minutes for the ambulance to arrive. In the meantime a number of people passed by, looked at us and went on without a question. However, several passerbyers -- a White Woman, a Black Woman, a Chinese guy and a Hispanic guy -- came by and asked whether we needed help. I told them an ambulance had been called and thanked them for their concern.

When the ambulance came, the old Chinese woman asked me for my Chinese surname and thanked me for helping. In the standard Chinese reply I said, "No need... No need." Because, in my mind, I was thinking about what the initial Samaritan, the Black guy, had said before he left, "We are all one..."

david

[This message has been edited by david (edited January 25, 2000).]
student

"We are all one..."

Post by student »

Beautiful, David.
And true. Amen, Selah.

student
lori macleod-doyle

"We are all one..."

Post by lori macleod-doyle »

If only there were more people in this world with the same attitude!

Lori M-D
mugaku

"We are all one..."

Post by mugaku »

david, how fortunate you are to experience what you have believed
Jackie Olsen

"We are all one..."

Post by Jackie Olsen »

David,

How beautiful to hear of connections of the human spirit. Thanks for sharing ...

Jackie
david

"We are all one..."

Post by david »

In the middle of a busy day, I got a call from an unknown woman. Turned out to be the daughter of the older woman. She spoke in broken English, trying her best to communicate. I generally answer my calls in English since I generally don't deal directly with the constituency and probably led her to think I was "jook sing" -- American born, English speaking only Chinese. She struggled to thank me and to tell me the status of her mother. I heard some talking in the background and the mother got on the phone. The mother expressed her thanks. She said she had an operation the previous day to repair a complete break in one of her bones (I couldn't understand precisely as my Chinese is not that great anymore.)

I asked how she was doing. She said as well as can be (for someone her age), thanked me again and got off the phone. I wished I could have thanked the others as well, though they probably didn't expect it anyway since they acted from their hearts...

david

[This message has been edited by david (edited January 27, 2000).]
Allen M.

"We are all one..."

Post by Allen M. »

An event to cherish forever. You have a great personality and a heart of gold.

------------------
Allen, now at his new website http://www.ury2k.com/pulse/index.htm
Jackie Olsen

"We are all one..."

Post by Jackie Olsen »

I second, that, Allen, In Lak'ech

"I am another yourself."

------------------
In Beauty,

Jackie
Van Canna

"We are all one..."

Post by Van Canna »

David-san

What you and the other Samaritans displayed in common, was the graceful ornament of virtue grounded in nobility, much like a gem in a fine setting!

In my book, you belong to the eternal grounds of distinction!

Peace,

------------------
Van Canna
gmattson
Site Admin

"We are all one..."

Post by gmattson »

I'll defer to Van sensei's eloquence and merely state: I second that!!!

I really enjoy situations where the good guy wins! Wish there were more people like David in the world!

------------------
GEM
david

"We are all one..."

Post by david »

Ahem... A little embarassing here.

I fluctuate between my dispair regarding some of the indifference/evil that are shown and committed towards others, and other times I am amazed and uplifted by the compassion and selfless actions of some on behalf of others.

david

Return to “Creative Heart & Soul Forum”