For The Grace Of...

A forum dedicated to the creative expressions, inspirations, hopes and dreams of fellow Karateka.
david

For The Grace Of...

Post by david »

My friend and training partner, Debbie, was supposed to be at the Uechi tournament to watch. I was surprised she didn’t show. Unusual for her, especially since she did some good training rounds with me the week before. She was excited about watching the tournament again and was going to bring one of her TKD friends along. I noted her absence at the tournament but was too caught up with my own stuff. Then I headed out to Maine for the remainder of the week…

I got a call today that Debbie was in the hospital. She’s been in the neurosurgical ICU for over a week. Last Saturday, the day of the tourney, she had been in TKD class when she was struck by a spell of dizziness and nausea. She sat out the rest of the class, hoping to get over whatever overcame her. Instead, she ended up in the bathroom vomiting. Thinking it was a bout of food poisoning, she went home to bed. The dizziness, vomiting, headache and pressure on the back of her neck persisted into the next day. She skipped a family dinner and stayed in bed. He mother called and persistently told her to get to the hospital to treat the “food poisoning.” (You have to know, Deb… She’s a tough one and likes to “tough” things out.) She finally agreed to do so to appease her mother So, Deb drove herself to the hospital. The hospital staff did some preliminary stuff around possible food poisoning but her symptoms were not “normal” for that. More tests and then a spinal tap which found blood. This led to a CAT scan that showed she had an aneurysm. An artery bursted and miraculously closed on its own. To ensure that the artery does not open again, the doctors inserted some wire device through her artery and cauterized the weakened area. Deb’s other option would have been more traditional – that is to open her skull and cauterize the afflicted artery.

So, Deb sounded okay today… As good as can be expected. She’s wondering, why her. She keeps herself fit, watches what she eats, etc., etc. Despite the seriousness of what happened to her, she was fortunate, very fortunate… As the doctors said, less than 5% of folks stricken with what she had are not left dead or permanently incapacitated.

While she ponders and questions the “Why?” as any would do in her situation, in time, I hope she comes to appreciate fully, as I do, that she is still here. For the Grace of...I am grateful that I still have a friend and a training partner around for however long…

david

[This message has been edited by david (edited May 30, 2001).]
gmattson
Site Admin

For The Grace Of...

Post by gmattson »

David:

I almost want to congratulate Debbie. . . Sort of like winning the lottery of life!

Live every day like it is your last. Enjoy every minute. As my sister told me last week.. "Live until you die!"

Please send Debbie my best regard and tell her we will all be looking for her at Camp!

------------------
GEM

[This message has been edited by gmattson (edited May 30, 2001).]
Jackie Olsen

For The Grace Of...

Post by Jackie Olsen »

Yes, it is hard to understand sometimes why "bad things happen to good people". You never know what can happen from one minute to the next.

I am happy that your partner and friend will recover, David. Prayers are being sent for a complete healing.

------------------
In Beauty,

Jackie
david

For The Grace Of...

Post by david »

Jackie,

Thanks for the well wishes.

George,

I conveyed your wishes. Deb appreciated them. She was surprised that you remember her. I told her that you were old but not senile yet... Image She had an angiogram yesterday. Looked good and no swelling in the brain. She's out of ICU and into the regular neurosurgical unit. She's itching to get out having been in bed for almost 2 weeks. Hopefully, she'll make summer camp again this year. Image

david
student

For The Grace Of...

Post by student »

David:

Best wishes and prayers to Debbie for a R'fuah Sh'leymah (Complete recovery)!

As I am one of those superstitious types who believe in the power of prayer, could you post her full name and/or picture to aid our concentration/wishes/etc.?

student,
who is going to his TKD association's summer camp this weekend.

Sigh.
More, more, and more training....

[This message has been edited by student (edited June 01, 2001).]

Return to “Creative Heart & Soul Forum”