Ants Screaming

A forum dedicated to the creative expressions, inspirations, hopes and dreams of fellow Karateka.
Jackie Olsen

Ants Screaming

Post by Jackie Olsen »

According to the mythology on the "father of karate" ... Bodhidharma ... discovered during his travels a monastery of monks in very poor physical condition due to their hours of motionless meditation.

The story goes on that upon discovering this, Bodhidharma retreated to the cave and sat in silent meditation for a full nine years -- listening to the ants scream. During this time, it is said he devised and perfected both his Zen Buddhism, the yoga system, breathing exercises, and physical exercises (kata?).

As 2002 dawns, I wish that you all are able to hear the ants scream during your Sanchin kata. What wonderful techniques and insights we may discover!

In Beauty,

Jackie

[This message has been edited by Jackie Olsen (edited December 30, 2001).]
candan

Ants Screaming

Post by candan »

Hearing "The Dragon Whisper"

[This message has been edited by candan (edited December 30, 2001).]
david

Ants Screaming

Post by david »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
I wish that you all are able to hear the ants scream during your Sanchin kata.
My wish is that I can ignore the "ants in the pants" and settle down to hear the whisper of the wind. Image

From where does the wind arise and to where does it fade?

Peace and wonder.

david
Alan K

Ants Screaming

Post by Alan K »

Jackie and the group,

I wish I could full incorporate Mooshin in my Sanchin.

I was told, many years ago, that Bohdidharma, after traveling from India to China to teach Zen Bhudhism, did movements and breathing techniques, to keep the attention of his audience. Those movements and techniques were the foundation for Sanchin.

How true this is may be the subject of historical debate.

I can remember that I was visiting the Metropolitan Museum in Manhattan, circa 1973, and saw a minature display in a long glass show case, a scene entitled "Bohdidharma crossing the Yangtze River" (I hope I am correct in the river).

I dervied from that scene, reading his acreditation as a source or antecedent to martial arts in many styles, set forth in many publications, my belief in the importance of this man.

Alan K

Return to “Creative Heart & Soul Forum”