Dealing with Pain

Martial Artist get sick, have accidents, become disabled. This forum will focus on how these individuals cope with their condition while staying active in the martial arts and while living life to the fullest. Administered by Sensei Bill Bauknecht. He's been there and doing great! (You don't need to register in order to post here!)

Moderator: Available

Bill Bauknecht

Dealing with Pain

Post by Bill Bauknecht »

First of all,I spent the day in Boston going through all the test again. This happens every 2 mos. So far so good, some test won't be known for two weeks. I feel too good for anything to be wrong. I'm getting into the pain thing because they dsecribed my pelvic bone as being "mutilated" by the tumor. Of course there is pain and they offer me meds. but I dont take nor do I need it. I always have dealt, handled pain o.k., and there has been some bad experiences, believe me. My training had definitely continued my improvement for handling pain. We have all had injuries, both serious and the ones we pick up in the dojo. We have all taken that shot, knowing it was a heavy hit, but without even a winch, continued on. Next day maybe we know a little more about it. Right? One thing, maybe a warning, some injuries or pains need attention. Don't ignore what you dont know. I did for about a year. A very real and heavy pain that got so bad it put me on the ground. Even then they didnt find the problem. This was a red light pain. Sure we are tough, we grind it out, grit our teeth. But don't let something go when your body is telling you something. How do you handle pain?? You all must have some story, how has your training helped you cope with pain. Are we sometimes too strong for our own good???
Bill
JohnC

Dealing with Pain

Post by JohnC »

Caddybill:

I think there can be a fine and delicate line between listening to our pain and ignoring it so to speak. Eventually, with many sources of pain, the pain will subside but leave atrophy and a wasting of the body part that has been ignored or other bad results. Other times, we really need to work through pain to heal. Recognizing the difference is sometimes very hard, especially in the martial arts where the body learns to accept more levels discomfort than might be usual.

It is crucial for each karateka to harmonize with their body's signals and learn when enough is enough and when it is not. Then, it is very important for us to assert our self advocacy with our dojo and teachers and make sure that we stay within our capacities.

Many times, able students and teachers may not appreciate the real limits of those of us with special needs. It then falls to us to educate and advocate or relocate before we dislocate!

Certainly, yours is a very poignant story and your frank and honest presentation is remarkable. Thanks again for sharing with us, it does and will continue to help and inspire! BTW, hope all the test results are favorable.

Good training,

JohnC
Bill Bauknecht

Dealing with Pain

Post by Bill Bauknecht »

John,
Very good post. I think the point I am mostly trying to make, to impress on people not to ignore your body when it is trying to tell you something. You are right, it is sometime hard to determine where that line is. If an injury or anything else goes on too long, get on it.John I want to get through to people, I am here to answer any questions I can for people who not only have similar problems but also anyone who is backward about asking those no no questions about cancer. One should be informed and if anyone wants my answers I'm here for them. Want to know what happened to me?? the diagnosis, the hit I took when I found out?? The treatment, the recovery, the limitations, the future?? My training as it relates to my recovery, my ability to continue my training and teach?? I welcome these questions, especially if it will help get rid of some of the anxiety involved. So far my test are good, should know the rest within a week or so. Thank you for asking.
Bill

Return to “Special Needs”