"The Torture Chamber"

Martial Artist get sick, have accidents, become disabled. This forum will focus on how these individuals cope with their condition while staying active in the martial arts and while living life to the fullest. Administered by Sensei Bill Bauknecht. He's been there and doing great! (You don't need to register in order to post here!)

Moderator: Available

gmattson
Site Admin

"The Torture Chamber"

Post by gmattson »

Good for you Bill! And congratulations to Van, Art and Bob for helping you discover and enjoy this latest chapter in your life.

May there be many more chapters. . .

------------------
GEM

[This message has been edited by gmattson (edited 01-15-99).]
Wayne

"The Torture Chamber"

Post by Wayne »

Wow Bill, sounds like one of those life experiences which are so rare in many of our lives. You are indeed fortunate to have friends like that.
Sounds like it truly was "chicken soup for the soul".
Take care,
Wayne.
moulton

"The Torture Chamber"

Post by moulton »

Bill,

Glad to see you are going to Bethoney's dojo. I remember your kata were as smooth as silk When we spent a half a day working out together at your dojo last month. YOU are a source of inspiration.

Allen
Van Canna

"The Torture Chamber"

Post by Van Canna »

Bill wrote < What an honor for me to be a part of this. I felt like a white
belt all over again. >

My response : Bill is the warrior , the likes of whom we don't see too often ! Just to survive in Rabesa sensei's dojo for all those years to reach Renshi - rokudan level , is no small feat ! Then you have Bill competing full contact in open tournaments with people half his age , taking shots in the head that would knock out a horse , but continue on with a bloodied face and win !

Then He bravely enters the nightmarish world of chemotherapy with his head held up high ! I embraced him at summer camp two years ago where he had come to say his last good-byes to his friends ; I cried bitter tears when he walked away from me , but felt proud when I saw him stiffen his back and stride aggressively swinging the cane like the hammer of Thor , and I knew then he was to teach us all the real lessons of life ! Rabesa -san tells us he had turned into a corpse during chemotherapy ; but now he is back to us as new , full of life and joy and nobility and loyalty and cheer !

And what power ! In the two weeks at the 'torture chamber' his strength in the kata has multiplied to the point of amazement , considering the ongoing medical problem and his weakened bone structure !

The honor is mine , my esteemed friend , I am the white belt as compared to your indomitable spirit and personality ! We need you and I know you will be with us in the 'torture chamber' for many, many , many more years to come !

Godspeed ,

Van
Bill Bauknecht

"The Torture Chamber"

Post by Bill Bauknecht »

A week ago Wednesday I got a call from my teacher, Art Rabesa. He was going to Brockton that night to work out at Bob Bethoney's dojo and invited me to go along. I have been very reluctant to do kata in front of anyone mainly because of my handicap and inability to "do them the way I use to". But I packed my gi and picked up Art at 6 PM and off we went. It was without a doubt, a night to remember. Bobby was finishing up the kid's class and in the back room was Van Canna, working power techniques on the heavy bag. Van put a monster bear hug on me through which I felt his sincere concern and friendship. What a welcome for someone who was very nervous even putting on the gi. Art and Van worked on some of Art's favorites, in close power kicks and strikes. Once Bobby got the main class going, he joined us in the small back room. The lights were turned off, one door slightly ajar letting in a small ray of light. We had loosened up and proceeded one after the other to do kata. Each took turns individually for the other three. I can not hope to describe how this has impressed me. Being very dim, the intensity, the shear power and explosiveness could be felt throughout the entire room. I felt myself become part of this and these three were so patient and helpful to me, before long I was doing kata as I never ever thought I could do again and steadily improving by the minute. Pointers in how to adapt without hurting or injuring my body. I quickly realized that here was some of the most elite,the ultimate Uechi-Ryu practitioners. Their goal, to bring their uechi to the limits when there is no limit and their knowing that there is even more. The mutual respect shown, the left hand being a student, the right hand being a teacher, each thriving off the other. What an honor for me to be a part of this. I felt like a white belt all over again. It makes me realize how fortunite for all of us, for me, to be friends, associates, students, of men like George Mattson, Van Canna, Art Rabesa, Bob Bethaney and so many others who have reached such a plateau and continue to reach for more. Through my sickness, my loss of Uechi-Ryu, this has been an emotional time for me. I know I can never ever be in the same boat with these men but they have convinced me I can continue on,adapting where I need to, and seek whatever is out there for me.My sincere thanks to the above mentioned friends for leading me to one more step up. I have taken it and am going on to the next. I was back up with them this Wednsday night and will be going up again and again. I hope to post more about these sessions that have inspired me to "Go for it"!! I am not handicapped!!! One more thing, the post title, "The Torture Chamber" came from Van, not me. He named it, they didn't torture me even once!
Bill

[This message has been edited by caddybill (edited 01-15-99).]
Bill Bauknecht

"The Torture Chamber"

Post by Bill Bauknecht »

Wayne and Allen,
Yes this was quite an experience for me,and it continues. Allen your recovery and your inner strenth is remarkable. Your determination, your kata, are both a knockout. Keep up the good work my friend, it's all there for you.
Bill
Bill Bauknecht

"The Torture Chamber"

Post by Bill Bauknecht »

Van I thank you for your kind words. I remember the summer camp well and if you remember I told you that one day I will do a kata for you again. Well it took 2 and 1/2 years but I did it. And credit where credit is due, my Uechi training, my friends with their encouragement. I was in the hospital, after the transplant, when my mind was not in good shape. My concentration was terrbile and I hated it. I used san chin to pull me out of that, doing it over and over until in my mind I was able to complete a short san chin. Before I left the hospital, I was "teaching dan kumite". No one should ever doubt the "power" of Uechi-ryu. I know it saved my life and continues to make me strong. Allen Moulton is another example of that strength. I'm sure there are many who have used this strength to bring them through the hard times. I thank God for the friends I have leaned on, and you stand tall in that department. See you tomorrow night.
Bill

Return to “Special Needs”