Pin Cushion Time

Martial Artist get sick, have accidents, become disabled. This forum will focus on how these individuals cope with their condition while staying active in the martial arts and while living life to the fullest. Administered by Sensei Bill Bauknecht. He's been there and doing great! (You don't need to register in order to post here!)

Moderator: Available

Allen M.

Pin Cushion Time

Post by Allen M. »

Sometimes the effects of acupuncture immediately manifest themselves.

The only feelings I get in my feet for the past 20 years are either nothing, coldness, or real bad pain and nothing in between. Less than ten minutes ago, I finished an acupuncture session that started at 8:30, almost 3 hours of being *****ed with needles and massaged over all sorts of sore areas of back hips, and legs.. As I stood up, I could actually feel my heel touch the floor. Then there slight sensations started in my insteps and toes as I walked around the room. As I sit here typing away, feelings are starting to up into the lower part of my ankles.

Something really strange is happening in my feet right now, and I’m going to sign off pretty soon and enjoy my new toys. This is cool, I can actually bend my toes up and down as well as move my right foot up and down as if it were keeping beat to music. I have to take a break from writing this every few seconds and play. Now they are getting tight, possibly because some non-used muscles have had their best workout in years.

Acupuncture works. Trust me [let’s hope it lasts].

------------------
Allen, Home: http://www.ury2k.com/pulse mirror: http://home.ici.net/~uechi/
student

Pin Cushion Time

Post by student »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Allen M.:

Acupuncture works. Trust me [let’s hope it lasts].
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

GREAT, Allen!

We both trust you and hope it lasts!
student

[This message has been edited by student (edited November 18, 2000).]
Allen M.

Pin Cushion Time

Post by Allen M. »

Thanks, Student. Last year, the same woman saved me from a hip replacement. She effected the pain of, as well as visible evidence of, crippling arthritis to disappear. And now she's returned.

Last night she said all karate "masters" should know acupuncture in order to reverse damage done in fighting.
student

Pin Cushion Time

Post by student »

I do recall earlier posts about this wonderful lady - I don't recall at this point whether she's Korean or Japanese.

Keep us apprised - and I apologize for having spelled your name wrong before; my brother-in-law is an Alan and I seem to have developed an almost reflexive spelling of the name that way.

As it is written in the Road Rage thread:

SORRY!

student
Allen M.

Pin Cushion Time

Post by Allen M. »

Student, Jung Shung YI and her assistant, Mrs. Lee, are from South Korea. Neither speaks English. I will report, from time to time over the next few weeks as long as interest continues.

This morning was quite uncomfortable. The both of them worked me over with their version of "massage" as I felt I was being mauled by a couple of bears, then pressed flat by a steamroller. Felt like they were tenderizing me as a prep for acupuncture. Now, the lower part of my quads above the knees feel stronger.

I did Junbi Undo for them after. They really like those exercises, and expanded on some of them.

Don't worry about the spelling of my name, it has been spelled much worse.

[This message has been edited by Allen M. (edited November 18, 2000).]
Jackie Olsen

Pin Cushion Time

Post by Jackie Olsen »

Hi Allen,

Glad to hear you connected with someone who can help. As you know, I'm on a regimen of deep tissue massage, chinese herbs and liniments and what ever technique/treatment that seems advisable for the moment.

Lest some of skeptics out there think otherwise, the healer I go to has nothing to gain money-wise. She only asked that I teach her and her husband Sanchin and pay for the herbs used IF I choose.

Right now I've only gone twice, but do feel so much better and have been able to take small walks again. I'm also able to do at least 3-4 Sanchins very slowly and gentle which is restoring my spirit.

Thanks for sharing your progress, Allen. Keep on healing...

------------------
In Beauty,

Jackie
Bill B.

Pin Cushion Time

Post by Bill B. »

Glad to hear you are getting some results Allen. My experience with acupuncture, several years ago, is when my wife underwent a series of treatments for migrain headaches. Unfortunitly, though acupuncture helps many people with migrains, she was told that it wasn't going to help her. Every time I took her for treatment, there were many people looking for help with their arthritis. Some couldn't even walk. After several weeks of treatment we saw monster improvement in some of them. Even to the point that some that were in the worse shape actually walked out of there. We were amazed. Hope this continues to help you. You deserve it!
Bill
Allen M.

Pin Cushion Time

Post by Allen M. »

Needles stuck into the fingers and the bottom of the feet hurt. In the fingers, they go right into the bone and joint.

The other unpleasant thing was while immobilized on my back on the floor, my oldest decided to play the game of throwing a wiffle ball between the needles trying to get it to settle in the bellybutton. I'm not exactly a living pinball arcade game Image , boy. If only I could get up and crack you along side the head right now...

<u>Oriental facelift.</u>
It's amazing what women will do for the youthful look. A machoette she-woman facial consists of 40-50 needles stuck all over the face to remove wrinkles, improve complexion, and whatever else women do to beautify their faces.
Allen M.

Pin Cushion Time

Post by Allen M. »

Same stuff, except now, ten 4" needles have been used each time for several days in addition to the 100-200 shorter ones which penetrate the points located closer to the surface.

If Ben Franklin knew about this stuff, he wouldn't have had to use a kite.

The slapping and the punching are done prior to the indertion. I believe [no, I haven't asked yet] this is to sensitize and "wake up" nodes to be activated during the treatment.

------------------
Allen, Home: http://www.ury2k.com/pulse mirror: http://home.ici.net/~uechi/
gmattson
Site Admin

Pin Cushion Time

Post by gmattson »

Acupunture really does work for me as well Al. Did your treatments last year last for any length of time? Was there an improvement in your condition that remained for the entire year? Is this year's treatment having a better effect than last year's?
Allen M.

Pin Cushion Time

Post by Allen M. »

Last year I wasn't able to answer similar questions from you, George, but now I've had a full year of reference to be able to reply.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
Did your treatments last year last for any length of time? .
Yes. Last November, I had arthritis in my hips so bad I could not walk more than about 25 feet max; absolutely was so painful. I was one week into the treatment last year when I went to the dan test in Boston, which would have been an impossibility otherwise, and it got better from there. How fast I forgot how bad-off I was. Hip problems never returned. In addition, Jung Shim brought life into my legs, especially my right leg. There are other problems in my back and leg that she also helped considerably.

Was there an improvement in your condition that remained for the entire year?.
It is hard to put a number on it, because I can’t slip into 12 months ago. But if I had to, I’d say 90% stuck [no pun].
Is this year's treatment having a better effect than last year's? .
The main purpose of this year’s treatment is different than last year’s, so of course the effect is different.

I’m not getting the “storefront” treatment, George, this woman is putting everything into it. I lay on a mat on the floor for from 1 to 2 hours, clad in only swimming trunks, and I’m literally covered from head to toe with needles. Jung Shim is using everything she knows to reduce and remove the residual paralysis in my legs. The problem is that the accident occurred 19 years ago which makes it more difficult to affect 100% change, and that may never happen. However, I’m free from pain much of the time now, havegreater mobility in my legs, and have sensations in my toes, feet, ankles, right up where there was either none or almost none or strange feelings that are indescribable.

Yesterday morning, my feet felt warm and were sweating for the first time I can remember since the accident. Before, when the cold damp weather of late fall came through early summer when the wet spring has passed, my feet and lower legs are almost always freezing and in pain, sometimes enough that I don’t want to take it anymore (good thing it doesn’t get that bad too often). I know no one else who can make an electric blanket turn cold when it is on except yours truly.

Friday morning I was able to workout in the basement with only slippers on my feet without a heating pad, and although near the end I started to feel the cold, maybe the way someone normally feels cold floors, I didn’t suffer and my feet warmed up again by themselves without a heating pad.

What I just wrote is the short story of what I go through on a daily basis, and what is happening in terms of improvement.

No matter how much I exercise my legs, they don’t get stronger, there’s nothing there. Van pushes me at the TC, I push myself when I give class, and when I practice solo, but they remain “dead” and weak. If I lay off for more than a few days, and you’ve never seen me that bad, they deteriorate fast.

Last November, there was some improvement in strength in my legs, but it was during the 3-1/2 weeks I underwent this woman’s treatment this happened.

Neat thing. The other day Jung Shim removed some of the arthritis in my fingers, the two joints I showed her that were most painful. It just worked; pain gone. Another: I had a dripping nose. She inserted a few [these WERE painful] needles, and for two days everything has been cleared up.
Bill B.

Pin Cushion Time

Post by Bill B. »

Just keep those good reports coming Allen. I'm so happy to hear the progress. I have felt your suffering. Keep it up my man,You deserve it all!!
Bill
Allen M.

Pin Cushion Time

Post by Allen M. »

I feel your suffering, Bill. If you only knew how much I wish I could give you half of my recovery.
Allen M.

Pin Cushion Time

Post by Allen M. »

Good One!

While laying on the floor on my stomach, having needles in the back, I reached over, grabbed the tube they use to insert needles, put a used needle into it and used it as a great blowgun, hitting a likely target. I lost concentration or something when I gave one heafty puff and shot myself right in the finger. Ow! If you don't know how to do it right....
gmattson
Site Admin

Pin Cushion Time

Post by gmattson »

Al:
I wish Dr "X" would comment on your treatment. He honestly believes we are wasting our time with Acupunture.

There is no question that much of the alternative healing practices are bulldust and because of this, it is easy to label everything non-AMA approved as quackery.

Keep getting stronger and healthier. This is the best endorsement Acupunture can receive.

------------------
GEM

Return to “Special Needs”