Martial Arts -- The Way of Life

Martial Artist get sick, have accidents, become disabled. This forum will focus on how these individuals cope with their condition while staying active in the martial arts and while living life to the fullest. Administered by Sensei Bill Bauknecht. He's been there and doing great! (You don't need to register in order to post here!)

Moderator: Available

Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

Caddybill (Sensei Bill Bauknecht). and I have been planning on getting together again for over a year, but both of us have been putting this meeting off for one reason or another; the time just wasn't right. Over the past month, both he and I have been trying to home-in on a time where we could get together. Finally, on a few days before Christmas, the both of us dropped everything else off our holiday schedules, convened upon a fine restaurant for the afternoon after he took me on a tour of the magnificent house which he is currently building and will be moving into next month. We and discussed with each other how our lives paths had changed because of disease and injury.

What makes one person fight and another wither into the void of defeat is important for young men to study in the martial arts, because most of them will need to draw on that strength in order to survive, and some of them will need to draw from the strongest of strengths in order to make the day pass and hope the sunrise of the following day will bring much better fortune with it, or even just a scoch better then today.

And youse young guys who read this think you can run away and escape the ravages of life, guess again. There is no escape, so heed the words of those who have been where you are now, and are now where you are going to go if you are lucky. Those of us in our fifties -- that is, those of us who have made it this far -- look at the rest of our age group and see how the remaining flock has thinned out. That group is primarily divided into the fighters, and those who give up, or the quitters. The remainder are the few who still remain in ignorant bliss.

Now this write up is really for the young guys, not for us old fogies. It is during your youth that you must make the preparations for the rest of your life. In the martial arts, this means so much more than doing 100 pushups and sit-ups everyday, but everyday plan your strategy for 100. While you are STILL young and healthy, make yourself as strong and as resilient as you can in the trilogy of the mind, body, and spirit. These attributes are like money in the bank, funds which some day you may need to draw from, funds which can no longer be replenished. While you are young and healthy, fight as hard as you can on the karate mat without waiver, because you need to carry your hard-earned skills someday to the mat of life.

------------------
Allen Moulton from http://www.ury2k.com/
gmattson
Site Admin

Post by gmattson »

Excellent message Allen. But, unfortunately, words wasted on the young!

Look at all the kids still smoking. . . After all the money and pleas to give up a habit that is certain to kill you or dramatically affect your health. According to the latest surveys, smoking among the young has actually increased!

Ever watch a movie in which many of the characters aren't constantly sucking on a cigarette? I can't believe the tobacco people aren't paying the studios or actors to smoke.

As long as the kids see their heroes smoking, they will ignore the messages from the nobodies.

Parents and teachers. . . Please keep this in mind the next time to reach for a cigarette while telling your kids to "not smoke"!

------------------
GEM
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

I once thought youth was wasted on the young. Once I got over it, I realized WE have to teach them.

Kids do great things. Kids are learning many things that did not even exist when we were young.

For smoking, many fewer adults smoke nowwhen I was a kid, plus many places are now smoke-free or have smoke-free areas. These few examples alone, are strong positive examples for our children.

You have happy holidays too, George.

BTW, What did you get Tia for Xmas?

------------------
gmattson
Site Admin

Post by gmattson »

Tia gets so many gifts from the neighborhood kids and others, who trek to Brockton to visit with her, Sue and I leave her off our gift list! Image

Steve White and his daughter just left after a visit. . .

Bill B.

Post by Bill B. »

Allen and I spent a couple hours together that day and I can't tell you how impressed I was with Allen. We have had a few "meetings", Allen came to Falmouth a few years back. I took him over to the dojo, just the two of us, and had a light work out. Both of us in rough physical shape, mentally I think maybe Allen was a bit down. I think we were both reaching up when he left though. At the 2000 summer camp we met and I sensed there was something really bothering Allen. He didn't reveal exactly what, I didn't ask. We had a lengthly talk, discussed some possibilities and went our way. We have had some contact since then, but the lunch was the first time we have seen each other since the camp. He came to my door and I'll tell you, this was a different man. I believe one can tell alot by looking into a person's eyes. I am a eye watcher!!! Allen was alive, his eyes danced, he smiled. He looked great!. The couple hours spent together were fun!! I had the best time and I thank him for that. It made my day for sure. Allen, when one speaks of the warrior, you are there. I know that your acupunture/etc. treatment has helped you physically and has lifted you up mentally. I am so happy for you, to see you "alive" again. You are winning the battle! Your posting above should be copied by all and saved. Of course it will go in most ears and out the other, but, you really hit it my friend, keep it up. You lifted me.
Bill
Bill B.

Post by Bill B. »

By the way Allen, thank you for the Christmas Present. Allen gave me a copy of his book. Greatly appreciated Allen, but, seeing you this time was the best present of all.
Bill
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

It was a good time, Bill, necessary for the soul; a good lifting for the both of us. I always enjoy your presence, and secretly try to capture some of the warrior rays radiating from you. I guess when one gets banged around a little by life, one appreciates the more important salt-of-the-earth things in life.

The hue of the cover of your book is the warm shining color of the sun beaming into the hands of the beholder. I hope you read it and enjoy it.

If only one young reader captures the essence of my post and someday can say he is glad he did rather than say he wish he did, then that will be the payoff – for him.

The acupuncture has been very successful, Bill, and the results seem permanent. Whatever was of great concern to me during the time of the summer camp was taken care of last month by acupuncture.

I wish the best for you, Bill, as well as a longest and most pleasant life possible for you.

------------------

Return to “Special Needs”