Master Tomoyose/Summer Camp

Martial Artist get sick, have accidents, become disabled. This forum will focus on how these individuals cope with their condition while staying active in the martial arts and while living life to the fullest. Administered by Sensei Bill Bauknecht. He's been there and doing great! (You don't need to register in order to post here!)

Moderator: Available

Bill B.

Post by Bill B. »

Today is Sunday, the last day of the Summer Camp. I so regret that I will not attend today but, doing the smart thing, I am taking the day to rest. I wish to share some of my experiences starting with my meeting George and Tomoyose senseis around 9:45 AM Thursday morning, and bringing Mr. Tomoyose to my home. We had pleasant conversation on the way back, speaking of his trip from Okinawa. As we approached the Cape and went over the bridge I explained to him a bit about the CC Canal and surrounding areas. He found a lot of interest in the names of some of the businesses such as restaurants and motels etc. Our conversation was also a get aquainted type talk, his questions about this area and mine of Okinawa. He was impressed with our highway system, along with the beauty of the surroundings, trees, and flowers etc. As we got closer to home, we were going through one of the older sections, homes mostly that were converted from summer cottages to year round homes, he commented how nice the homes were. I must explain that I recently retired, sold out my business and built a new home just minutes away from my old place. I worked hard for 40 yrs, and fortunitly my wife and I were finally able to build our "dream house." After all these years, we deserve it. However, as we are getting closer to home I am starting to wish that I was living in a tent or something. I had these guilt pangs and kind of hated to turn into my driveway. Well, we got home and when we pulled in, he seemed to be overwhelmed, and it really bothered me and felt I had to explain why I lived in this house. If you have not had the pleasue of meeting this man, I can only tell you this. I have never, in my life, met someone who impressed me, as Mr. Tomoyose. He is such a simple man, small in stature, humble, respectful in every way, ask for nothing, I believe one of the most intelligent men I have ever met. I can only hope that he enjoyed his stay with us, even a fraction of the enjoyment that we experienced having him. Bringing him to the camp Friday morning, the welcome he received and all the attention given him, I can only say he handled it all so simply. When being asked questions, I found that I strained to hear every single word, very disappointed if I miss something. From the very first of George's summer camps, I am not sure if I missed any of them, if I did it could not have been more than one or two, this camp, for me was the absolute best. Since my illness, I was very backward about teaching, my body is weak and to me very hard to accept that maybe I could still teach without the contact and hands on type teaching I had done all these years. George Mattson sensei finally convinced me otherwise and I managed to do some things at the camp that I know helped those who came to me. This has given me a mental lift that I must say, selfishly, helped me more than the students I worked with. There were many other things that I participated in that, though I must admit made me feel about 1 foot tall, gave me highs I have never experienced before. Being with people who are ten feet tall, the elite of Uechi-ryu, and feeling like an "grasshopper" sitting among them. When I got home last night, my wife ask me how things went at the camp, I couldn't even talk about it right of way. I was and am still exhausted, a good exhaustion. I wish I could have gone today but I know it would be too much. Besides, tomorrow morning, Mr Tomoyose, Mr. Mattson, another gentleman and myself are playing golf. That I HAVE to be rested up for. Any of you who missed this camp will never know what you missed. That is sad. If I understand correctly, next year Mr. Tomoyose hopefully will return, along with other Okinawan Masters. I can only say that if you want to experience an unforgetable week-end, another page in your book of life, make your plans for 2002 and include that August week end camp. This camp had special meaning for me especially, but I'm sure all who attended came away with unforgetable memories. A very special thank you to Mr. Tomosoye, George, Van, Jimmy and all my brothers in Uechi-ryu. At least one more year has been added to my life, I WILL be at Summer Camp 2002!!!!
Bill
Bill B.

Post by Bill B. »

Monday was another great outing. Mr. Tomoyose, Mattson sensei, Chris from Canada and myself, we played golf, a beautiful day, lunch afterwards and then to George's house for a pleasant visit. Mr. Tomoyose had not played golf for 20 yrs. He still has a nice smooth swing and you could see the natural ability there. He told me he was a 4 handicapper 20 yrs. ago and I believe it. I think he was a bit disappointed with his game but he was close, and after 20 yrs. he hit the ball very well. He had a good time. I think they were playing Tuesday but haven't heard yet how they did. I won't say how George and I did, will just say,,,guess who bought lunch. AND IT WAS GOOD!!!
Bill
david

Post by david »

None of us failed to be impressed by Tomoyose San. But, while I didn't get to say this to you personally at the time, many us were just as impressed and happy to see you attending and teaching at camp.

Looking forward to seeing you at next year's 20th anniversary camp!

david
billb366

Post by billb366 »

Thank you David, I had a great time and it was such a pleasure for me to be of some "use" again. The support I have received from all my friends has booted me in the butt. I have decided to live forever!! I will surely wear out my welcome long before that. Great camp, great group, great time. Will definitly see you all there next year.
Bill

Return to “Special Needs”