TOMOYOSE SENSEI'S SHOULDER AND NECK EXERCISES

Martial Artist get sick, have accidents, become disabled. This forum will focus on how these individuals cope with their condition while staying active in the martial arts and while living life to the fullest. Administered by Sensei Bill Bauknecht. He's been there and doing great! (You don't need to register in order to post here!)

Moderator: Available

Alan K

Post by Alan K »

GEM,SENSEI suggested that I post this topic in this forum and it certainly seems to be the appropriate place

I was fortunate enough to have attended a 9:00 AM class conducted by GEM, sensei with Tomoyose sensei participating in several aspects of the class.
At some point after class had begun and the traditional Uechi exercises were completed, the class broke up for training and instruction segments.
Tomoyose, sensei came over to me and guided me by the arm to the rear of the dojo, while smiling in a friendly manner, and saying to me, “You know when we get old (pointing to himself and to me), we get very stiff in neck and shoulders”. “You have stiffness?” to which I responded in the affirmative all the while thinking, “how did he know that?”
I had no idea what to expect but was greatful that this man, who was most humble and gracious, could care enough about me to want to help.
After completing the exercise, I felt no stiffness in my neck and my right shoulder clicked as usual but did not hurt. After the teaching was complete, he walked to the other side of the dojo and came back with a writing tablet and began to demonstrate the exercise sets so that I could make notes as he did this.

I will explain the sets to the best of my ability from my notes and memory.

All sets are performed in a stance shoulder width apart, legs parallel and feet pointed straight, with knees slightly flexed, (for Uechi people like the opening of Sanchin). Breathing in and out is required as it is in weight lifting with the exhale commencing with the beginning of movement, without completely exhausting your air reserve. He demonstrated silent inhale through the nose, but on exhale pursed his lips in a circle like blowing out a candle except that the exhale came from the diaphram and not the throat. His exhale was not tsst tongue to roof of mouth like in Uechi. When he demonstrated for taking notes, I did not hear the exhale breathing that he did in the teaching phase.

The order of the exercises differed slightly when he demonstrated for the notes.

TOMOYOSE SENSEI’S TEN EXERCISES

At the termination point of each stretch movement, the position is held for about 5 seconds, with the breathing out continuing to this termination point, all without completely exhausting your breath.

1. Neutral stance, arms by your side, raise both shoulders up (like hunching), while exhaling but do not bend neck, and do not exert strain or force on the upward movement, and hold for about 5 seconds. Allow shoulders to drop while sliding hands by side to original position.
Repeat this exercise 4 more times.

2. From neutral stance, clasp right hand on back of your head (palm on back of head, fingers on to left side of head and forearm horizontal with back of head). Twist (rotate) head toward the right shoulder with chin slightly down, exhaling to end of the turn, (hold 5 seconds) and return to neutral and repeat with sequence to left shoulder with left arm.
Repeat this set 4 more times.

3 From neutral stance, place fingertips of your right hand to the right side of head above the temple and ears. Bend your head and neck toward the right shoulder, exhaling and exerting mild resistance (pressure) against your head with your fingertips. Hold 5 seconds. Repeat sequence to the left side. Repeat this set 4 more times.

4. From neutral stance, bring your elbows straight up with your fingertips resting on top of each shoulder. Each elbow is pointed straight forward, and. in line with shoulders
With fingertips remaining on the tops of your shoulders, bring your elbows in toward each other while exhaling, hold 5 seconds. The body remains aligned with hips (no bends) during this exercise.
The elbows are “squeezed” toward one another but do not strain. Repeat this set 4 more times.

5. From neutral stance, clasp both hands behind the head with fingers interlocked.
Push head forward slightly while twisting the head to the right with the chin going down toward the right during the rotation. Exhale begins with the rotation, and ends with the usual 5 second hold. This sequence is repeated to the left side. Repeat this set 4 more times.

6. From neutral stance move your chin (head down) toward your chest while exhaling and hold.
Return head to upright position and move chin up and roll your head back while exhaling and hold.
Do not strain. Repeat this set 4 more times.

7. From neutral stance turn head to right twisting downward with the chin while exhaling.
Return to neutral and repeat movement to the left. Repeat set 4 more times.
This differs from No. 2 above because the neck is also bent more to each side (shoulder) during each movement in this set.

8. This is a shoulder loosening exercise:

With hands by side raise shoulders to upright position and rotate forward and down in a circular movement, a total of 5 times. Repeat rotations in reverse rotating shoulders toward your back. You try to rotate your shoulders in a circular manner. Normal Uechi style natural breathing is used in this set.

9. From neutral stance place finger tips to right side of head and turn head toward right shoulder while offering resistance to the movement with your finger tips. In this sequence you are facing straight ahead and moving head down in line with shoulder) Repeat this to the left side. Breath out and hold 5 seconds as in the other sets. This differs from No. 3 above because in this set the chin is not twisted down ward and neck not bent downward over the shoulder. Repeat set 4 more times.

10. Clasp hands behind your head with interlocking fingers and push head downward toward
your chest exhaling and holding for 5 seconds. Repeat for a total of 5 times.

Remember that these exercises were meant to loosen and tone the neck and shoulders and not to build power. Avoid strain and adhere to breathing requirements.

I understand that he repeated this demonstration, but very briefly, at the end of the second class and wonder if anyone else made notes of this.

Alan K
gmattson
Site Admin

Post by gmattson »

Thanks Al. I've been trying to remember all the exercises, but was only able to remember the first three.

------------------
GEM
billb366

Post by billb366 »

Great Allan! You actually beat me to the punch. When Mr. Tomoyose was at the house, he was up in his room with the door closed. I figured he was resting. After a good while he came down and he had written these exercises down and one by one put me through them, and I wrote each one down so I could remember them. I will study your post and see how it matches up with my list. If there is anything different or any additions I will post them here. This is an excellent set and I'm sure will be helpful to everybody, regardless of age. In my case, age is a factor!! (g). Thanks for the post.
Bill
Alan K

Post by Alan K »

That is good news, Bill

When I made notes of Tomoyose sensei's demonstration, I was under a lot of pressure because the ten o'clock class was about to begin.

Please post any changes and I will amend.

Thanks,

Alan K
billb366

Post by billb366 »

Been pretty busy lately but finally got back here. Am copying those exercises so I can compare them with my notes. Will let you know how they match up.
Bill
Jackie Olsen

Post by Jackie Olsen »

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! My neck & shoulders feel sooo much better. I even did these sitting at my desk in a straight back position, feet on the floor. These exercises really relieve computer-itis, too!

Jackie
billb366

Post by billb366 »

OK I am simply going to post what I wrote down as doing the exercises with Sensei Tomoyose. One thing that I did that is different is the breathing. He had me completely exhaling all the old air, even finishing as we do with the pushing out the last of the air with the stomach. As in getting rid of all the stale air in the lungs. I wrote down the following:

With the hands hanging at the sides, raise the shoulders while exhaling, relax, while inhaling and repeat this 5 times.
Hands at side, turn head to left, exhaling.
Turn head to right, exhaling. Repeat 5 times to each side.
Place the right hand over the right ear, push to the left while exhaling.
Place the left hand over the left ear, push to the right while exhaling. Each side 5 times.
Place both hands behind your neck, interlocking your fingers as in a full nelson. Look down applying some hand pressure and exhale, bring your head backwards with some pressure and exhale. Do each of these 5 times.
Look down, exhale, head back, exhale, 5 times
Place your right hand behind your left ear and twist while exhaling, left hand behind your right ear and twist while exhaling. 5 times each side.
Roll your shoulders forward in a circular motion, hands hanging at side, do this 5 times easily and taking time, always exhaling. Now reverse the movement, rotating the shoulders backwards, same easy slow move for 5 rotations, always exhaling.
Place right hand on right side of head and push against the hand with the head, exhaling, same on the left side, 5 times each.
Do the full nelson type hand interlock again, simply putting the head down, and then pushing it back. Always exhaling. Inhale when relaxing from the move.
When I ask him how often these exercises should be done, he said "Morning and night."
Hopefully, between Allen's post and mine, you can put this together and find your own moves. I had a friend of mine visiting who is a neuro surgeon and is really into stretching the whole body. Many of his patients have found relief from whatever ailed them by stretching instead of going through more surgery. (spinal surgery and such). I reviewed these exercises with him and he has a similar set that he recommends and has for for years. He thinks that the breathing may be a timing thing. That this is a good amount of time to remain "on target" and also get the advantage of the breathing. My wife, who has suffered from headaches for years, and I are beginning today. Alot of her headaches come from neck muscles. Others are migraines. My Doctor friend says that indirectly this could help that too. Hope this will add enough info to Al's post and thank you Al.
Bill

Return to “Special Needs”