"The Force"

"OldFist" is the new and official Forum Arbitrator. "I plan to do a straight forward job of moderating, just upholding the mission statement of the forums, trying to make sure that everyone is courteous, and that no one is rudely intimidated by anyone else."

Moderator: gmattson

gmattson
Site Admin

"The Force"

Post by gmattson »

Van Canna Sensei posted a great topic on his forum, which I'd like to see discussed from a 'verbal self defense' focus.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Some people have it some people don’t!
Having a certain mastery of “combat skills” may engender such personal force, but not necessarily! As an example, I have come to know several Mob “hit men”, and what became apparent, after a while, was the fact these men were “quite willing” to kill with whatever means at their disposal, even though their skills with their hands or weapons left much to be desired!

A man with “the force” __ often you will know one when you see one! It is usually in the eyes, but NOT necessarily in “glaring” eyes! Experts write that physical size means nothing, it is the expression on your face, the way you stand and walk, the look that’s in your eyes, not the way your eyes look, holding your head up and meeting people with a steady, calm, confident look. It is about projecting the confident demeanor that tells people around you that you are in complete control of defining yourself to the world, not letting the world define you! [Ron Ellis]

It has been described as a subtle balance between confidence and arrogance, your voice must possess the qualities of a “first strike” weapon, with the proper “timbre” with “clipped” sentences, commands, short and loud and intense, projecting conviction, and attacking psychologically, causing hesitation and confusion in your potential adversary! Some of us will never achieve the “commanding timbre” no matter how capable we may be physically; the voice of Mike Tyson comes to mind!

Your voice will reveal instantly your conflicting emotions, which will be read by the “predator” and make him comfortable in triggering the assault! You must be in control of your range of volume, and cultivate a natural forceful, yet pleasant way of speech easy to listen to as you tune up your “verbal engine” ready for explosive mode, should you perceive a threat! Words should be kept at a minimum at that point, but spoken “explosively” to match your internalized physical response about to be unleashed!

This “force projection” comes from having visualized and mentally prepared and accepted the possibility and willingness of entering in a potentially lethal confrontation, without hesitation, self-doubt, concern for the aftermath or the judgments of others.

The person so endowed, will already have considered the ramifications and complications to himself and family, he will have made up his mind about the morality of defensive violence,
And the legal consequences of it all!

This is the true “mindset” we speak of; without it, all our imagined or real karate/weapons skills will be worthless on the street!

The people I was always most impressed with, were very intense in a subdued manner, never loud or boisterous or showing off, and always very respectful and reasonable!

But somehow, you knew, you just knew!!!!

------------------
Van Canna<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by gmattson (edited April 02, 2000).]
Allen M.

"The Force"

Post by Allen M. »

In some people you can just STRONGLY FEEL what they are all about. Maybe that's what Van meant when he said you just know it.

------------------
Allen, New website http://www.ury2k.com/pulse/index.htm mirror: http://home.ici.net/~uechi/
SEAN C

"The Force"

Post by SEAN C »

Conviction. Incidentally, I posted a thread called "pot of gold" on the round table. These words could be used to perfectly describe the person mentioned.

------------------
sean
Allen M.

"The Force"

Post by Allen M. »

Sean, could you post a link to the round table? I'd like to read your post.

------------------
Allen, Home: http://www.ury2k.com/pulse/index.htm mirror: http://home.ici.net/~uechi/
SEAN C

"The Force"

Post by SEAN C »

Moulton sensei,

I don't know how! Image

It's Glasheen senseis forum. There's nothing much to the post. Just someone who I hope to learn something from.

Return to “Verbal Self Defense”