Get away begger!

"OldFist" is the new and official Forum Arbitrator. "I plan to do a straight forward job of moderating, just upholding the mission statement of the forums, trying to make sure that everyone is courteous, and that no one is rudely intimidated by anyone else."

Moderator: gmattson

crazycat

Get away begger!

Post by crazycat »

I live in a small city where there are NO beggers on the street or agressive homeless, at the least I would really have to look hard for one.

How do you walk by the populated beggers path? do you stare straight ahead and ignor them? do you drop them a dollar only for them chase you for more? do we threaten them?

My choice would be to become invisible, so how can I do that?
Kevin Mackie

Get away begger!

Post by Kevin Mackie »

Crazy, I too live in a small town with no beggars on the street, (unless a Phish concert is in town, "got any tix, man?")

Anyways, I do get into the big city occassionally and here's what I do.

If they're just sitting down with a cup or whatever, walk on by.

If they are standing and approaching, don't avert your eyes, walk around them, stare them down and stay alert and just say no. They may be bums, but most are still able bodied, usually drunk and can get violent.

If they persist, firmly, yet politely tell them to "get the f**k away". This also make a lasting impression on the kiddies if they happen to be with you. (kind of like a real life lesson on "stay in school, don't use drugs")

If they approach your car, which is of course locked with windows rolled up, shake your head "no" and they'll generally go on to the next victim. (In Boston, it's Mass Ave & Melnea Cass 24/7)

Kevin
crazycat

Get away begger!

Post by crazycat »

Thanks Kevin for the tips. I haven't been in Boston in a couple of years, now I know what streets not to get lost in.
LenTesta

Get away begger!

Post by LenTesta »

It is interesting that this topic should appear right after I recently read a similar scenario in a comic strip that was in my local paper.

Excerpted from the comic strip SHOE

The begger asks for money. The beggee gives a dollar. The begger says "Thank you kind sir, I will not spend it on alchohol and gambling"
The generous man then says. "That is what I was going to do with it."

Food...er...Drinks for thought.

------------------
Len Testa
Allen M.

Get away begger!

Post by Allen M. »

Help the Needy

Most of those resigned to holding out cups in Boston are passive, i.e. non-belligerent and non-abrasive. They can be found around the train stations, in front of missionaries, homes for the homeless, surrounding college campuses. Then there are others who are just out begging for trouble.

I find most of the problems dealing with beggars are really dealing with your innermost self. Many who see ratchety, un-kept people in ripped dirty clothes and look like luck has passed them by, want to help in some way -- but usually don't for other reasons. When a person is at ease with himself for whatever decision he has made (to give or to not give), then it doesn't matter what approach he takes when passing by them.

The last time I felt bad for this type of stranger was when I was in college and left the campus to walk to Kinko's. I passed someone who held out his hand and asked for anything I wished to give. I passed him by, but while in Kinko's I started to feel bad for the poor derelict, wishing I could have done something for him. The more I thought, the worst it got. I went into the restaurant next door and bought some breakfast for this poor hungry-looking guy when my conscience got the best of me, and passed him again on my way back to class. As I did so, I stopped and opened a brief dialogue. Frankly, I held out the bag of food as I asked him if he was hungry. HE REFUSED! Even after my insistence. Did I hurt his pride?

I'll have a little more callous on my muffin, please.

P.S. crazycat. What you do and how you do it with those people may also depend upon what time of day or evening it is, and if they are looking rot trouble rather than a quarter or two for their favorite blend to give their day a charged jumpstart. AND, you never really know what streets to avoid in Boston until you find yourself in a bad place, and it could be almost anywhere in Beantown, depending on the moment. Just remain in the middle of the herd if unsure.
LenTesta

Get away begger!

Post by LenTesta »

Very wise words Allen.

If a begger refuses food then it is probable that he/she is looking for money to spend on contraband. Shelters give out food for these people so they know they will get something to eat eventually. Shelters do not give out alcohol, cigaretts or drugs. These must be purchased with begged funds.

Does anyone feel that the begger who sits politely with cup in hand is more likely to get the money than the agressive begger. Would you rather give to an agressive begger?

In any case a violent begger is rarely cause for concern unless you encounter this person alone and they are armed. Then it is robbery, not begging.

------------------
Len Testa
crazycat

Get away begger!

Post by crazycat »

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LenTesta:
Very wise words Allen.

Does anyone feel that the begger who sits politely with cup in hand is more likely to get the money than the agressive begger. Would you rather give to an agressive begger?

Some of these tips are getting good thank you's.

In the military we would walk the forbidden streets. There was an old begger with a guitar with a just couple of strings, he would mumble and play (typical Blues artist but this poor feller had one tooth) and you couldn't understand a word. He would sit in a squat position all night while people through their spare change in his beat up guitar case. Before the winter months hit the begger had new strings but his sound wasn't any better. Feel'in good one night I offered to buy a hooker her favorite song from the old bum, she declined and thought he was competition. (He always played the same song).

Had feelings for the old guy, I had never seen anything like him before.

[This message has been edited by crazycat (edited October 17, 2000).]
Panther

Get away begger!

Post by Panther »

Good points Allen-san... I used to live in
Back Bay Boston and even after moving out, would frequent the city. Now, I avoid the city unless absolutely necessary... and only well-armed. Beggars in Boston can be anywhere and can get really pushy.

I was once at a conference in DC and was approached by the politest beggers (much different than Boston)... I refused them money and as I continued on, one of them said, "we just wanted to get a burger". There was a McD's right there, so... I turned and counted that there were five of them, walked into McDs, bought 5 hamburgers, 5 cheeseburgers, 5 large fries and 5 large cokes... took them back outside. When I hit the door one of them says, "My you shore ah hungry..." I said, "I thought you all were hungry"... "YEAH, we shore ah!"... "Here, I've already eaten"... "Wow, Thanks! You go over to that bar over theah and tell them that Cecil sent you... they'll fix you right up... go on..." Got great service at that bar. Image

The beggars that I really have a hard time with are the ones that are forced by their parents/school/team to stand in front of the grocery store door and beg! Talk about teaching kids the wrong lesson! I told a group of them that I would pay the entire team $5.00/hr to come to my house and help me stack wood and clean the yard... I figured we'd both benefit, but Nooooooo! The self-righteous parents came running over and told me that I was demeaning their children. I said that I'd pay the parents the same wage, bring everybody 'cause I had plenty of work that needed doing at my house and would be happy to pay upto $500 for them to come over for a few hours! The parents refused and said that I should just give the little beggars the money. I responded that I was trying to teach the little beggars the value of money and working for what you want, not how to beg. Sheesh! Image
Allen M.

Get away begger!

Post by Allen M. »

Mixed Bag

You know, fellas, I'm going to have to bite my tongue on this one. I know what I wrote up a few posts, but, but.....

I work in Beantown and pass by three, six, nine, and more them every day, usually the same ones who do it for a living, and there are a few places that every day is a new face. On my way to the pharmacy for my own stuff yesterday, I go by a homeless shelter, and this one guy really got to me. Not conscience, not guilt of not being needy, but there was a mental connect, almost like looking into his mind without eye contact, and reading something. I don't think he even saw me, so my spur of the moment was definitely unsolicited.

I don't want any yeas or neighs on this, because it wasn't me, and without feeling, either before or after, somehow I picked him. Only after I passed by him did I make a decision to go back to work following the same path and leave him "something."

It may not happen again for another 20 years or even never again. I don't feel good about it, I don't feel bad about it -- no emotion. But it was that particular moment in my life that what I did had to be done. Nothing more; nothing less. Maybe the meds (on me) were wearing off. Who knows.

Now, on the lighter side: When I lived in Tennessee, south of Nashville, there is a popular interstate intersection which empties out into a large sprawling series of shopping malls. For a short period, the off-ramps were infested with panhandlers, and they made a living. You want to make some good tax-free dough, this is where to do it, this is where to go.

On the way to Nashville, I exited the interstate into this shopping mall, and there was a pitiful looking couple with a baby and a BIG cardboard sign asking to help this poor couple get started again.

-- as they were walking through the double line of cars waiting for the lights to change.

-- And they were not getting change. I saw big $$$ denominations hanging out the window waiting for the down-and-out couple to approach.

On the way back from Nashville, later that day, I took the north exit, and There they were again, working that exit from the lights and getting the donations. Same woman, same sign, (same???)baby. But wait! She must have gotten remarried that afternoon, because her advertised husband sure wasn't the same one I remember seeing that morning....

What a scam, man. They were raking it in hand-over-fist that day. Bet they made more than I do.
Wu Wei

Get away begger!

Post by Wu Wei »

I work in the city and often see beggars on the street. Today I saw a women in pink hair with a pink fraily halter top and skirt with "medical marijuana" painted across her mid section. She greeted me and stated she was "Medical Marijuana Barbie." That was definitely a first for me.

I used to be a caseworker for the state and when I do see a beggar I let them know that I can provide them with information or a phone number to call for assistance for food or anything else they need. Usually the just turn me down and walk the other way.
LenTesta

Get away begger!

Post by LenTesta »

When I was coaching baseball at Mass College of Pharmacy, I used to go right by Boston City Hospital on Mass Ave. I would constantly see the beggars at the traffic light just before you turn to get on the expressway. The same beggars were there every time I went through there. This is their job.

How do you know who is down on their luck and who is defrauding. Begging is tax-free. The people who give to these individuals do so out of compassion and possibly guilt.
Why do some people have to beg for a living instead of getting a menial job that at least is steady income? Some beggars do make enough money to support their existence. Of course, these people do not have luxury items and maybe they do not want them, but most beggars chose this way of making a living. Many homeless people do not chose to live this way, and these people are too proud to beg.

If you really feel that you want to help the needy, give to the homeless shelters. They will distribute your gifts to the people who are too proud to beg on the corners of our busy city streets. Your old clothes that are just a bit too small to wear (or too big if you lost weight while studying your karate Image), is a very good gift to give. Homeless people, especially during this time of year when the weather is starting to get cold, need coats and sweaters.

I donated two large shopping bags full of clothes, that were old but not worn and did not fit anyone anymore, to the homeless shelter in Brockton. They even give you a receipt to declare the gift on your income tax return. These were older clothes that my children had grown out of, and some outdated clothes that my wife would not wear anymore.

Many times, I have seen people put these old clothes into boxes that sit in some of the parking lots of retail stores. Some of these boxes do not go to charity. Instead, they are resold as second hand goods making a profit for the storeowners. Please do not give to these boxes. Find a homeless shelter or Salvation Army box to donate to. The Salvation Army sometimes sells the better clothes but they use the proceeds for food and shelter, not for some entrepreneur who decided to put up these boxes to get free merchandise to sell at bargain prices.

------------------
Len Testa
Allen M.

Get away begger!

Post by Allen M. »

Suspend This

There's this one guy I go by every day who extends his can in front of you and shakes the coins around. One of these days, if he lurches in front of me, I'm going to reach right in and grab a few of those metal jinglies.

Watch the newspapers around Thanksgiving Day and Christmas. Shelters place an ad to donate so the homeless will have a turkey dinner. The police departments and especially fire departments in many communities run drives and activities during this time of year too.

Want to help those in genuine need, the above and the places Lenny mentions are good starters. When you consider the amount people spend for throwaway toys for kiddies for Xmas, a ten-spot or a sawbuck, a bag of groceries or clothes in the right place from the right place (the heart) is a mere token consideration on your part.

I remember being paralyzed from the waist-down, unable to get a job because I was sick, still healing from, and unable to receive state aid because of political SNAFUs almost getting kicked out of my apartment because there was no money to pay the rent, etc. years ago...

I even tried to kick my wife with our 7 month-old son out after that, so they could go on welfare and at least survive. I wouldn't have begged, if it would have come to that, for the suspension bridge across the narrows was close enough to get to.

And yet, I feel absolutely nothing for the one on the street corner with his hand out.

During this time I had a friend who traded in gold and silver when it was going crazy. And he made a killing at this humungous swap-meet on the weekends too. After I got hurt, he told me he was on disability. This guy was collecting money from the state [out west] because he couldn't work and yet was raking it in like nobody's business -- working. He knew all the tricks, and even told me how to work the system. I was so disgusted with that, that when I finally got a little insurance money and after I paid-off the hospital and attorney and other bills moved to Phoenix, bought a junky place with the little cash I had left. I dragged myself across the floor half the time with a saber saw in one hand, a hammer in the other, a mouthful of nails, in aggravating pain most of the time, fixed it up pretty classy, then sold it to move forward.

And did that all because I was pissed at my by then ex-friend for thinking it was a big joke to live off hard-earned tax money when he was as fit as a fiddle while I was close to being thrown out on the street.

That little carpentry escapade took my mind off my own suffering, strengthened my legs, and the thoughts that passed through it then strengthened my mind a great deal.

So the sum of the above is why I don't feel kindly towards common panhandlers and yet still donate with a heart and the right mindset where it will do some good for those who really need it.
Steve

Get away begger!

Post by Steve »

No need to escalate the situation/confrontation: use humor!

I've always told those approaching me for money that "I'm too poor to even pay attention." Some get it and laugh, others appear confused.....

------------------
D. Steven White
swhite@umassd.edu
student

Get away begger!

Post by student »

Clothe the naked.
Feed the hungry.
Shelter the homeless.
For you, or your ancestors, were also strangers in a strange land.

The words may differ, but they are virtually universal religious precepts.

And I don't follow those precepts nearly so well as I wished I did.

There was a time I considered getting fast food coupon booklets to hand out the coupons instead of money, to insure that people were getting food, not drugs - but some enterprising soul would just trade/sell them.

How to know to whom to give?

Or not?

Sigh. Image

student

[This message has been edited by student (edited October 19, 2000).]
Panther

Get away begger!

Post by Panther »

Allen-san,

Nothing to say... (rei)

Return to “Verbal Self Defense”