Debatable Topics Forum

"OldFist" is the new and official Forum Arbitrator. "I plan to do a straight forward job of moderating, just upholding the mission statement of the forums, trying to make sure that everyone is courteous, and that no one is rudely intimidated by anyone else."

Moderator: gmattson

LenTesta

Debatable Topics Forum

Post by LenTesta »

If you have been following the threads in these forums, lately you have seen many new and old training methods discussed. On the forum where the information was presented, the moderator asked that no comments be of the debatable kind, because the source of the information was not to be questioned.
That is well within the rights of the moderator and all should have gone as planned.

Scott Danziger has brought up the subject of creating a debatable topic forum. Readers can post discussions with pro and con messages about the topic.

If there were a venue for this type of forum, would there be enough participation without anyone being offended?

Could we discuss and debate topics without hurting each others feelings?

What do you think? Please post comments here.

------------------
Len Testa
Jake Steinmann

Debatable Topics Forum

Post by Jake Steinmann »

My immediate reaction: What's the point?

I mean, these are DISCUSSION forums, right? Isn't that the whole point of these places...to have a place where we can discuss and debate things in a civil manner?

There are already tons of forums here. Adding more is not the solution...it's just shunting the problem to another area.

If people aren't capable of having an intelligent debate with each other without resorting to insults on the forums that exist already, why would having a different forum change that?

If we're not allowed to debate anything...then these aren't really forums, they're soapboxes.

My .002, for whatever its worth.

------------------
Jake Steinmann
PDR Team
www.tonyblauer.com
Tell the Spartans, stranger passing by,
that here obident to their laws we lie
- Inscription at the site of Thermopylae
Scott Danziger

Debatable Topics Forum

Post by Scott Danziger »

What I actually meant was to first have different ideas put up on a web page as an article(s). Have each idea presented in one particular place for reading under a specific style. Like Breathing - different ideas in article form. Stretching, anytopic.

example:
Article #1 - Sanchin breathing the Goju way
Article #2 - The Uechi way

You get the idea.

Then... Those who wish to "discuss" differences, similarities, other... can then use a forum for that purpose. Minus any personal or system attacks. ie: "Joe Blow doesn't know what he's talking about and his muk fu style is bogus".

Jake, the point is to have a persons' point of view come across at once then maybe compared (or not) to other peoples point of view.

However, can we debate without arguing and getting all insulted and such? I would like to think so.

Anyway, it was all just a thought.

Scott

------------------
VISIT:
Uechi-Ryu.Com Streaming Video & Audio
The Uechi-Ryu.Com Hotlist
Taking Charge - Cable TV & Video Martial Arts Show
Jake Steinmann

Debatable Topics Forum

Post by Jake Steinmann »

Scott,
My apologies: I misunderstood how you intended the structure of the "forum". My initial impression was that people were simply suggesting throwing up another forum to have one more place to argue with each other.
Having someplace to post articles on various topics could certainly get interesting.
Can people debate without getting insulted? Well...sometimes yes, sometimes no. Seems to depend on the people and the situation.
Another .002

------------------
Jake Steinmann
PDR Team
www.tonyblauer.com
Tell the Spartans, stranger passing by,
that here obident to their laws we lie
- Inscription at the site of Thermopylae
Panther

Debatable Topics Forum

Post by Panther »

my .02 yens worth...

There are already forums where each of these topics can be discussed. The key is that the people doing the discussion/debate must act in an adult, respectful manner when writing their opinions. It is a tough thing to do, but it's been shown that rather passionate debates can be conducted with a certain amount of personal respect while everyone makes their points. For some reason, I don't think putting things into articles and then discussing/debating the article's contents would have changed the latest bru-ha-ha one darn bit. Image
Van Canna

Debatable Topics Forum

Post by Van Canna »

I am happy to report that JD and I have resolved our differences amicably via personal e-mail, and all is cool and back to normal. Image

Same with Bill Glasheen …that man has a very thick skin.. Image

------------------
Van Canna
LenTesta

Debatable Topics Forum

Post by LenTesta »

Van
That is great news!

I am glad that all has been resolved.

------------------
Len Testa

Return to “Verbal Self Defense”