The Blizzard

"OldFist" is the new and official Forum Arbitrator. "I plan to do a straight forward job of moderating, just upholding the mission statement of the forums, trying to make sure that everyone is courteous, and that no one is rudely intimidated by anyone else."

Moderator: gmattson

LenTesta

The Blizzard

Post by LenTesta »

Some call it a "snow job". I call it Throwing Snow. Blinding your opponent with facts so that they cannot see what is planned. A blizzard.

How often do you convey your plans of counterattack to your potential opponents.

Think about how often you describe your fighting methods and techniques that you frequently like to use. Do you ever stop and think that you might be overheard by a potential assailant who is jotting down everything you say?

I thought about this because of what Joe Pomfret said in one of these forums about his intentions in his most recent fight. Knowing that his opponent was from this area, and that these forums are read by many people who may know this fighter, Joe executed the greatest media blizzard I have ever heard of anyone being overcome by.
Professional sports teams use these media manuvers to their advantage all the time. It is rare that a non-professional (although Joe is no longer considered as such) can use a media outlet to completely throw his opponent off guard. If Mr Ventura, or any of his supporters had read Joe's comments on these forums, they would have thought that Joe was giving away his game plan. Professional coaches and managers know how to manipulate the media for their advantage.
Joe did that perfectly. Not only is Joe an expert fighter, he is also an expert in "snow jobs". However professional coaches and managers usually can see the snow and not get blinded by it. I am assuming that IF anyone from the Ventura camp had seen the post by Joe, they either dismissed the notion that Joe did this intentionally, or underestimated that Joe really knew what he was doing. Maybe they had no idea about the post at all. We may never know.

How many martial artists fail to learn how to throw snow?

How many martial artists can be overheard bragging to their friends, relatives and unexpected audiences, about their martial art abilities?

Do you tell your fellow dojo mates your favorite technique and that you are going to use it whenever they do such and such a move?

I know many who do not hesitate to inform potential opponents of their secrets. They of course, do not do this intentionaly. They were only giving information to their closest friends and relatives in and out of the dojo.

Everyone of your current dojo mates will not always be your friend/dojo mate forever. There may be someone who has been embarassed by you although you did nothing intentional to cause that embarassment. Somday this person could become your opponent outside the dojo.

Now it may seem like that I am advocating "snow jobs" or "blizzards". If you plan to become a professional fighter, as Joe is doing, than I suggest that you learn this very important aspect of this "game". Do not reveal your true intentions in the media.

If you are not planning on fighting professionaly, you can also learn how to throw the snow...
Just be humble and modest. Let no one know about your abilities.

------------------
Len
nick

The Blizzard

Post by nick »

Len,

Along those same thoughts, I've heard it suggested when participating in a tournament, never warm up with your favorite techniques. You never know who might be watching. Snow them with those spinning heel kicks and rising palm leaves. Image

'Disinformation', a nice technique, could it be called "Verbal OFFENSE"? Image

nick

[This message has been edited by nick (edited May 15, 2001).]
LenTesta

The Blizzard

Post by LenTesta »

A very good Idea Nick.

Dazzle your potential opponents with techniques that they will never see you use.
They will be waiting for something that will never happen.

Joe tells me that it was not his intention to deceive his opponent (at least before this fight began). Although, whether it was intentional or unintentional, it is always good to keep them guessing.

Recently, as I was wearing a t-shirt with my dojo logo on it, someone came up to me in the mall and asked about my karate style.
He said to me "do you go to that school"?
I said yes, I do. He started asking me whether I was a black belt and how long had I been training. I did not tell him I was the Sensei. I told him that I had been going to the school for over a year now (not lying as we have been open for only 14 months). He said he wanted to take martial arts training as he was always getting into fights. I suggested that he go down to the school to inquire about lessons. I haven't seen him yet, but I am sure he will be shocked to discover that I am the Sensei.

Never give out too much info about your training. You never know who is sizing you up.

------------------
Len

Return to “Verbal Self Defense”