Sutemi

Reopened!!! The jujitsu forum will focus on traditional and non-traditional Jujitsu/grappling arts.
mikemurphy

Sutemi

Post by mikemurphy »

One of the greatest defenses a practitioner can master is the art of sutemi (sacrifice). This isn't a morbid, ritualistic act performed by an ancient samurai, but the act of sacrificing your own body in order to avoid a lock or tremendous impact of a throw. It is the art of projecting yourself or of simply allowing yourself to determine where, when, and how hard you land on the ground.

A couple of questions:

Why is this, as well as basic ukemi (falling) not practiced in the dojo? Sure, it is used primarily in the grappling arts of jujitsu, Aikido, Judo, etc., but don't we fall down in karate-do? I know I do (I'm pretty clumsy anyway). If anyone was at the Uechi championships this year you would have seen some tremendous takedowns by the blackbelts, but what you would not have seen was anyone of them falling correctly. I would think that something like this would have to be changed in our training.

Sutemi or sacrificing is a more advanced type of ukemi. This calls for someone to really throw their body away to avoid the pain of the attack. Those people who train Aikido practice this all the time. The great thing about it is that most people can do it when it comes time to "do" it. Try locking kotegeishi on someone and watch them throw themself. It's amazing. Why not put this into our training? Could save you a broken bone or two?

mike
f.Channell

Sutemi

Post by f.Channell »

Mike-san,
Is sutemi when you roll out of a flip or arm lock? For instance trying to roll backwards out of the takedown in dan kumite to avoid the vulnerability of that position. I have also noticed that in being taken down I often choose to hold on to the opponent to try for a better ground position or to use momentum to come out on top is this a viable method? In the takedown in Dan kumite ukemi really seems to be needed, too often this is done without any realism, or the technique is stopped before the takedown. Ukemi would also be needed if the grab of the leg is successful during Seisan bunkai,(grab leg grab knee strike take em down) this would put you down real hard. I've noticed from visits to your school theres a big difference from breaking your own fall and having someone throw you forcefully at the ground.
fred
david

Sutemi

Post by david »

While it has been said so many times, "All is in Sanchin", the reality is that much of the practice in Uechi has evolved to a predominant emphasis on striking. Many don't incorporate ukemi, never mind sutemi, into the core program, despite the lament of Mr. Glasheen. Where we see these skills emphasized are in the dojo's that have an overlap in or concurrent curricula such as in your dojo, JoshW & JoeP, Bill's and, I assume, Raffi's.

To state the obvious, it's not unusual to fall in sparring and fighting. Ukemi is definitely needed to ensure you can do so safely and get back up. I think it is a gap in one's training to not cover that.

I think a point of clarification (for others, not you Mike) needs to made about ukemi and sutemi. Ukemi is the art of receiving a throwing technique and landing or rolling safely. Sutemi is the art of taking the fall -- either by necessity or choice -- and taking or throwing the opponent with the your momentum as you go down. Ukemi is the a necessary base for the development of sutemi.

Using the kotegaeshi example, when you flip over to avoid having the wrist broken, that's ukemi. When flipping over and grabbing the opponent's lapel/neck to take him over with you, that's sutemi.

david
mikemurphy

Sutemi

Post by mikemurphy »

David and Fred:

Let me answer your question/statements as best as I can.

David is correct in saying that ukemi and sutemi are two separate entities. Ukemi is a method of falling in order to soften the blow of the impact to the ground (i.e. rolling or breakfalling). Sutemi, on the other hand literally means "sacrifice."
During a sutemi technique, I would flip or project myself, most likely out of necessity, in order to be in a better position to counter my opponant, although that doesn't have to be the case. Sometimes, as in my original example, you perform a sutemi simply out of the necessity of survival.

In another example or sutemi and on a more offensive point of view, is some of the Judo/Jujitsu throws performed and practiced. Ukiwaza, Yokowakare, Tomeonage, Sumigaishi just to name a few (forgive the spelling). In these nage waza, the tori sacrifices his/her body in order to throw the uki. This means putting themselves on the ground with the attacker. These are extremely effective throws and have a great potential if thrown correctly; however, if missed, they put you in a very vunerable position if you are not happy with your ground fighting.

mike

Return to “Jujitsu/Grappling Arts”