visiting instructors

Reopened!!! The jujitsu forum will focus on traditional and non-traditional Jujitsu/grappling arts.
mikemurphy

visiting instructors

Post by mikemurphy »

To all,

As some of you may know already, I have been attempting to coordinate an exchange of instructors around the area to come and visit my dojo and me to visit their's. So far it has been slow, but that's been my fault. Choosing a different tact, I have a psuedo schedule for those interested in coming to my dojo to participate in one of these seminars.

Wednesday July 19, 7pm Sensei Mattson
Thursday July 27, 7pm Sensei Van Canna
Wednesday Aug. 2, 7pm Sensei Mike Aceto
August ? Gary Khoury
More to follow I hope.

Please feel free to contact my dojo or me via phone or email for further info.

781-963-8891
Uechi1000@aol.com

thanks,

mike
mikemurphy

visiting instructors

Post by mikemurphy »

And you can Bruce Witherall to that schedule for a near future visit to the dojo.

mike
LenTesta

visiting instructors

Post by LenTesta »

Mike,

This is an excellant Idea !!!

------------------
Len Testa
mikemurphy

visiting instructors

Post by mikemurphy »

Len,

People have to get used to the idea that the free exchange of ideas or concepts from different points of view is healthy and necessary for the art to grow, and the individual to grow. It doesn't matter what art these people come and teach, a healthy and genuine exchange of information helps any art.

I hope this continues as my dojo is loving the opportunity to meet these people. They have seen and/or worked out with these people at the summer camp and the regional workouts, but this is a little different. I want to expand this, but we'll see how it goes. Kudos to others who are doing the same thing (i.e. David Kahn, Bill Glasheen sensei, Raffi Derderian sensei, etc.)

Don't be shy folks. Start seeking the knowledge.

mike
rich_simons

visiting instructors

Post by rich_simons »

As one of Sensei Mike's students, I can honestly say that I (and I believe the other students as well) have benefitted from this exchange.

For example...

We went to Raffi Derderian's dojo where we taught a jujutsu class to his JKD students. The following week, Raffi came to our dojo and taught a great class, which involved knife-fighting and empty hand techniques. In fact, he taught the class in such a way as to prove the techniques are truly identical (with a knife and without).

If I am lucky, maybe I will be able to remember a few of the things Raffi demonstrated. On a related note, I frequently use an arm-lock techique in my grappling that I learned from Jim Delucca at the summer camp 2 or 3 years ago! He probably demonstrated 10 techniques that day (I was the uke, if my memory serves correctly) and I am pleased to remember one of them! There are many people out there who know a lot; the key is to find them and learn from them.

Rich
LenTesta

visiting instructors

Post by LenTesta »

Mike

I totaly agree !

While I was comming up through the ranks at Bethoney Sensei's dojo, we had many guest instructors.

Clarence Wilder was a regular. I couldn't wait to get my second stripe to be in his Tuesday class. I still attended his class as a Shodan.

During my training Van Canna, Arthur Rabesa, Bob Campbell, Jim Maloney, and Jack Summers all made apearances and showed us that there are many different perspectives of training. We were all performing the same movements but the slight differnces and variations of the other instructors were duly noted.

I did not get out to other dojos very often due to my busy schedule of other activities and family life, but having these great teachers come by and visit us was the next best thing.

I would love to get my school in the loop!

------------------
Len Testa
King of Darkness

visiting instructors

Post by King of Darkness »

Being a student of Martial Arts I believe it would be very healthy not only for the body but also for the spirit and mind. Learning different variations of the same moves would make the student a better martial artist but it would also create a feeling of confidence in the student, destroyng that negative thinking that usually leads to failure.

I hope that this exchange of instructors will be very popular among dojos.
Steve

visiting instructors

Post by Steve »

It's been one of those fantasy weeks in martial arts training. Great classes, great instructors - everything clicked. All of this in the middle of the summer doldrums.

Shihan Mattson took the helm at Murphy Sensei's dojo on Wed. evening. The place was packed! We worked for almost two hours on Uechi-ryu basics and had a blast.

Try doing junbi undo on soft jujutsu mats!!! Could hardly keep my balance - but Mike's students didn't have a problem.

If you get a chance to get back to the basics with Shihan Mattson - take advantage of the opportunity.

Mike - thanks again for the opportunity to train with the 30 or so students packed into your Wed. evening class.

These exchanges can only make us stronger!
mikemurphy

visiting instructors

Post by mikemurphy »

Steve,

The mats aren't that soft! :-)

mike
f.Channell

visiting instructors

Post by f.Channell »

Mike,
I went nuts reading about the exchanges going on last summer at Buzz Durkins affiliated schools. Too far away to get up there in time. This is a great idea and should open up a lot of new ideas. I just read a book about Okinawan masters and they cross trained a lot. Maybe thats why we admire them so much now. Did you know Theodore Roosevelt had Jujisu instructors teaching him in the whitehouse in 1904?
(He got his brown belt by the way)
Would that be Dojo One?
Fred

Return to “Jujitsu/Grappling Arts”