Technique Descriptions

Reopened!!! The jujitsu forum will focus on traditional and non-traditional Jujitsu/grappling arts.
JOHN THURSTON

Technique Descriptions

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Mike:

Please assist me, if you have the time, in describing (from time to time) as it suits you, techniques that I can a. look up and b. practiv\ce in the Dojo.

Advice as to what would be safely and relatively easily adapted to Uechi Ka would be a great help.

Right know we are working on perhaps one "Jiu Jitsu" tecnique at a time (in this case, using a shoulder lock after deflecting a punch) and your in put is obviously invaluable.

JT

------------------
RA Miller

Technique Descriptions

Post by RA Miller »

John,
How about one technique and one idea?

Technique- one-arm elbow lock from a punch.
Uke- straight punch to the nose (right hand)
Tore: Using left palm, pass the incoming strike just past right ear. Raise elbow so that palm is down over uke's wrist. Grasp wrist as you glide elbow over uke's elbow, until uke's elbow is firmly socketed in tore's armpit. Let weight fall on elbow (depending on level of threat) as wrist is pulled up.
Points: Make sure armpit is just above uke's elbow; make sure you only turn uke's arm enough to bring elbow straight up.
Notes: Very simple and fast. The only joint lock that I've successfully applied against a full-force, full-speed right cross in real life.

The idea: Take a look at the principles from the grappling arts. The happo-noh-kuzushi (eight points of imbalance) for instance is very powerful and applies to throwing, grappling and striking. Marc McYoung presented it as "Stance Integrity" in his "Professional's Guide..." In essence, pay attention to strong and weak lines with in a stance and be sure that you apply the technique in the right line. A sweep can be a sweet and effective technique done in the right direction and fail miserably when off by just a few degrees.

Because JJ deals with grappling, they've come up with lots of little principles which often make the difference. If you can become familiar with the principles it will make it much easier to analyze a technique and clean out the rough spots.

Rory (rambling again)
JOHN THURSTON

Technique Descriptions

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Rory:
Sounds like a plan, I'll print this offering out and look at it.

Thanks.

Will get back to the forum.

As you know (or may not know) my "Sensei" is Jack Summers (I put it in quotes because he, through what I feel is an excess of humility, does not like to be called that.

He has experience in these areas, and I pick his brains from time to time.

JT.

------------------
RA Miller

Technique Descriptions

Post by RA Miller »

JT-

I didn't know. Thanks. One of the things I like about this board is the wide range of skills, insight and general wisdom posted here... yet everyone is a stranger. It's like going to a new country and finding a place that specializes in your favorite food from home.

Rory
mikemurphy

Technique Descriptions

Post by mikemurphy »

John,

I'd be glad to help you out with this anytime you want. Have you ever seen my tape of Uechi Bunkai variations using Jujitsu techniques? I made it for the school, but got a lot of takers to sell it. If you want one, pop on by the dojo. I think I have one or two left. It shows Kanshiwa, Kanshu, and Seisan bunkai 3 different ways.

Rory, the technique you describe (Wakigatame) is a very effective technique with many variations. I like to teach this technique with a sacrifice fall to the ground while the uki is still being held (ouch!) It's a great submission hold too.

mike
BILLY B

Technique Descriptions

Post by BILLY B »

Mike-Sensei,

Any chance of going commecial with that tape, I'll bet there's a market! You could definetly sell me at least one!

Any chance of getting some mpegs up to go with the descriptions on this thread? Its so hard to learn from the written word.

Thanks guys, good thread! Image

------------------
"There ain't no graduation from this kind of education"
JOHN THURSTON

Technique Descriptions

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Mike:

Once one has one's own forum, it is hard to get to visit all the others one wishs.

Yeah, for sure I would like the tapes.

I will post the 'odd' technique for critique once and a while, as I get handles on them.

My Sunday has freed up next week, so I may get their Saturday and Sunday.

John

------------------
mikemurphy

Technique Descriptions

Post by mikemurphy »

Billy,

I have the tape for sale, simply email me at Uechi1000@aol.com and let me know the details.

Thanks,

mike
gmattson
Site Admin

Technique Descriptions

Post by gmattson »

Mike:
Sounds like a winner. How about letting Peabody market the tape for you on our shopping site?

------------------
GEM
JOHN THURSTON

Technique Descriptions

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Mike San, Gem Sensei et al:

I think that I would like a set of those tapes, please.

Did you forget about me?

In any event I would like some elucidation on the "eight points of imbalance".

Because of my circumstance (age, disinclination to enter a system with 'rank' again), I chose Tai Chi as a focus for cross training, also because of its realtive "low impact" in the way it is approached.

I would think the Eight Points of imbalance sound like an excellent starting point for a discussion-please.

By coincidence, Tai Chi has eight main 'forces' or 'powers' which constitute its "basis". Bear in mind that I am still only a Guppy in this Art even after 12 years.

My Sifu is excellent, but his meeting and association with Master Wei Leung Heung (WAY LUN HAN) changed HIS focus developmentally, and I have been privileged to watch his skills grow.

Jack Sensei always liked to Bankai Kanshiwa avec (with) Jiu Jitsu/Akido/Judo tecniques, but he never does it the same way twice.

There is a tape of the 1982 demo at Buzz Durkins school where he does this Bunkai. Maybe Mike would like a copy to analyze.

The "chin na" of Tai Chi is based on the 'core tecniques, or powers, and is very differeent in focus than, I think, Jiu Jitsu.

Do you wish me to open a discussion of the 'eight forces', perhaps another forum would serve better.

That's up to Mike.

JOHN

------------------
kusanku

Technique Descriptions

Post by kusanku »

Say , I got a humdinger of a Jiujitsu technique for you, a real peach of a waza!

See, you start facing opponent who attempts a right sucker unch, perhaps an uppercut from the side of the leg, you sidestep to your left, his right, whilst doing a pass and check or wa uke type thingie, grasp his arm with your right kake uke arm, which passsed under the left, and strike off the back leg with an upward shooting palm shot to the side of the head with your left open hand.

Which hand then goes up the head, and comes back down with fingers hooking nder the eyebrow ridges, and making an little unbalancing circle to the rear of opponent, up around and strainght back down. Kthump!

It's all in the entry, the interception, and the kuzushi or destruction of balance.
And best of all it matches with already sharply honed skills of those on here.

Also, it can be adapted to use many other techniques with, once you efrfect the side entry and position.

Kusanku
RA Miller

Technique Descriptions

Post by RA Miller »

Kusanku-
A similar but simplified move:
Uke punches to face w/ right hand. Step deep in with left foot, parrying punch with your left hand brushing your right ear. Then snap the inside of your right elbow against his throat (clothesline with snap) while slapping your left hand into the base of the spine. Table-tops in mid air with a compromised trachea. Very quick and simple.
(The down and dirty version of irimi-nage)
Rory

[This message has been edited by RA Miller (edited August 11, 2000).]
kusanku

Technique Descriptions

Post by kusanku »

Rory-
Thanks for the details on the proper way to manage the Choke'em Ryu Clothesline Irimi Nage.:-)

Not so bad!

left hand into small of back will fold 'em down, then.I had been doing it with a grab to the back of the collar, but if they aren't wearing a shirt the small of the back will work anyway.

Long hair would too, but these guys cut that hair off these days.

Little things mean a lot. Image

Kusanku
kusanku

Technique Descriptions

Post by kusanku »

An other Jiujitsu technique from Chop Suey Ryu,it s simple but t works and has many effective variants.

So your standing or walking and some bonehaeded creep grisps your left side of shirt with his left hand and tries to simultaneously bust you with his right fist.

1.As my old French Aiki Budo mentor said,First block the strike.If you take the atemi, the fight is over.

So his left hand is on your shirt pulling , gowith the pull as you forearm or knifehand chop into the inside of his right . If its a hook punch, strike sideways out at the elbow crease, if a roundhouse hit inside forearm below the elbow.If straight, hit forarm as well, punch will probably slide.Strike out sideways, if you can hurt the arm.Now your right which came up to guard your head as you turn your right hip to go with the pull, comes dowm over his grabbing hand and wraps under the elbow effecting a bent arm elbow crank.

Now step back with your right foot one step, and with the left plam strike the opponent on his right pectorals a good one, as you turn your hips to your right. He goes over and you have an up elbow lock on him.To show mercy, flip him over on to his stomach and secure shihonage type finishing hold which you will already have.

Life or death or multiple or weapons attack, snap the elbow straight up and dislocate/break shoulder.

Good jiujitsu offers a variety of alternatives.

Of course this principle works with any elbow lock, palm slap the pecs on the ther side as you turn in with the hips and down they go.

No one can resist once the lock is set.The slap lifts at least one heel from the ground.Spins 'em around and down.

Kusanku

Return to “Jujitsu/Grappling Arts”