Steroids for grapplers ?

Reopened!!! The jujitsu forum will focus on traditional and non-traditional Jujitsu/grappling arts.
MANNAVARAYAN

Steroids for grapplers ?

Post by MANNAVARAYAN »

If you are a grappler and take steroids has it really improved your grappling and would you suggest it to others?

Those of you have never taken the stuff would you ever consider taking it and do you think it would really help with grappling or just for weightlifting?

For steroids or against it?,please give opinions and reason for supporting it or not.

------------------
ASOKA
Ian

Steroids for grapplers ?

Post by Ian »

This is just for starters, I'm going to look some stuff up and repost. But, three major concerns:

1) Here's how your body works in an endocrine sense: your brain (hypothalamus and pituitary) makes a hormone that causes another hormone to be released; when the end product is made, it is sensed by the brain, and this feedback reduces the production of the releasing hormone.

For the male hormones like testosterone, your brain releases GnRH which causes the release of LH and FSH which result in the production of testosterone etc which inhibits the initial release of GnRH to keep you in balance.

When you take steroids you mess up this balance. Your brain senses the excess and turns GnRH WAY DOWN. FSH and LH go WAY DOWN. These two hormones, the stimulation for the growth and maintenance of your testicles, go WAY DOWN. Your two gonads then shrivel because your brain thinks they're making too much testosterone.

Need I say more? Gonads... and SHRIVEL.

2) Anabolic steroids have good and bad effects. They will help you build muscle, no doubt. They will also shift your body's metabolism to a excessively male pattern that is harmful. For example, men have less good cholesterol (HDL) and more bad (LDL) than women. You will accentuate this difference and increase your risk of heart disease, stroke, AND balding, etc. Not smart.

3) some products, like androstenedione, used by Mark McGuire, are converted to testosterone and thus believed more safe or natural. Well, they also get converted to estrogens, which is why there were all those joking cartoons of M.M. in D cups after this information was released--andro helps you build breasts as well as anything else.

4) If I recall, this stuff is bad for your liver. Then there were those reports of users getting hyper aggressive on them. I'll check on this and other stuff when i have time.

Steroids are dumb. Go eat some egg whites and work out if you want to get big. Strength IS an asset in grappling--but, remember that Gracie weighed only 165 when he took that string of UFC titles.
mikemurphy

Steroids for grapplers ?

Post by mikemurphy »

Asoka,

Considering steroids?? WOW. Listen, I can see bringing up the issue for discussion, but I hope that you are not really considering the option. They are illegal (for the most part) for many reasons as the good Doctor X could tell you if he is monitoring the conversation. I won't even get into that bed of nails; however, all I need to know is the potential problems (remember Lyle Alzado??) to know that I want nothing to do with them regardless of the false sense of security it gives me.

Remember, the real masters of jujitsu or judo or karate, etc., are not the big muscled Japanese or Okinawans who rely on strength and mass to overpower their opponants, it's the little guys that understand leverage, movement, and balance that hold the real advantage. If you don't believe me, their is an old tape of Mifune sensei out their on the market that shows how a 90lb (soaking wet) man can move himself and his adversaries quite easily. I don't think Mifune sensei needed steroids.

mike
MANNAVARAYAN

Steroids for grapplers ?

Post by MANNAVARAYAN »

Mike Murphy:

No I am not considering taking steroids,I am just interested in what others think of steroids in martial arts including ones like grappling.

I have heard in the past of martial artists who take steroids hoping to improve their fighting and to win in tournaments and just want other peoples opinion on it,doesn't mean I would do that crap.

------------------
ASOKA

Return to “Jujitsu/Grappling Arts”