budo or bujutsu

Reopened!!! The jujitsu forum will focus on traditional and non-traditional Jujitsu/grappling arts.
mikemurphy

budo or bujutsu

Post by mikemurphy »

I was reading Gary K's forum regarding his philosophy that karate is still a "fighting art" and that above anything else, upon learning it, one should be able to fight. I know I'm paraphrasing here a bit, but please indulge me. He seems to see it as more of a "jutsu" practice than a "do." Personally, I find it is somewhere in the middle, but I applaud his (and Chip's) stance and practice regiment regarding how they believe the art should be.

My question/statement concerns jujitsu and related grappling arts. In my experience, it's almost the opposite of what Gary was espousing. Jujitus is a "jitsu" practice. It is a combat art designed to deal with confrontation from the beginning of one's training; and yet, there are those (the grandmaster of my style) who see it as more of a "do" practice. Maybe it's the lack of necessity to train for battle on a daily basis, or simply the evolution of all arts. Who knows for sure. The point is, just what is jujitsu to those of us who study it? Do or jitsu?

mike
david

budo or bujutsu

Post by david »

It's in the heart and mind of the practitioner. However, "jitsu" can encompassed "do" whereas "do" may not effectively encompass "jitsu."

david
Rick Wilson

budo or bujutsu

Post by Rick Wilson »

David:

Very well spoken!

Rick

Return to “Jujitsu/Grappling Arts”