ashi gatame

Reopened!!! The jujitsu forum will focus on traditional and non-traditional Jujitsu/grappling arts.
Vladimir

ashi gatame

Post by Vladimir »

I am certainly no expert on leg locks, but I have definitely never heard of death resulting from one. Nor have I heard of paralysis, although this one can probably occur if you cut off the blood circulation or apply a pressure point technique with your lock. I have seen several breaks and tears during competitions though. So I can attest that leg locks are pretty dangerous.

Vladimir.
Jake Steinmann

ashi gatame

Post by Jake Steinmann »

I'm no leg lock expert either, but I'm having a lot of difficulty imagining someone dying as a result of a leg lock,(unless the leg was ripped off mortal kombat style Image).

I'll see if I can get one of the ROSS guys to comment on this...

------------------
Jake Steinmann
PDR Team
www.tonyblauer.com
Tell the Spartans, stranger passing by,
that here obident to their laws we lie
- Inscription at the site of Thermopylae
RA Miller

ashi gatame

Post by RA Miller »

Maybe when using a leg-lock/hobble attatched to cuffs for a hog tie? Could they be talking about ICDS?

Rory
david

ashi gatame

Post by david »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
Some human rights organizations are protesting the use of these techniques.
That leads me to think Rory may be right, unless J.O comes on to say otherwise.

Been reviewing some tapes of NHB competitions. Seems that leg/foot locks and holds are producing perhaps more injuries before a defender can tap out. My guess is that such injuries can be attributed to a couple of factors: The adrenalized state of the fighters which leads to greater brute force and quick applications to prevent counters from another skilled fighter. The strength of the leg joints but their lack of flexibility relative to the arm joints encourage fighters to resist more in defense and the nage/tori to torgue more with the body. When the leg joints go, they go quick.

Nevertheless, these leg locks are valuable techniques to learn and disagree with dropping them. Most folks are quick to defend against arms, torso and head but seem less aware of their legs. Thus, they offer another chance for a defender who may be literally and figuratively "down." Learn these techniques but do so with care. Learn faster by going slower.

david

[This message has been edited by david (edited December 17, 2000).]
JanneOksanen

ashi gatame

Post by JanneOksanen »

The thing that causes these injuries with these Dutch police techniques is that it messes up the whole lower body blood circulation. And plus the police men are not trained enough to do them properly. "When a customer is still resisting throw a little bit more power to the crunch."
And that thing about those human rights' organizations was that they don't want Dutch police force to use them any more because there has been too many accidents with these leg locks.

If they are done by a person with knowledge of what he's doing I don't see a problem. I too think that they are very useful techniques when used in a right way.

Return to “Jujitsu/Grappling Arts”