Judo - Formal Techniques

Reopened!!! The jujitsu forum will focus on traditional and non-traditional Jujitsu/grappling arts.
david

Judo - Formal Techniques

Post by david »

That's the name of a great reference book by Tadao Otaki and Donn Draeger.

Since Mike has been posting about throwing techniques -- nage waza, I thought folks may want to check into this book for references. Lots of photographs and descriptions of techniques from the perspective of both the nage/tori and the uke.

The complete title is:

Judo - Formal Techniques - A Complete Guide to Kodokan Randori no Kata.

david
mikemurphy

Judo - Formal Techniques

Post by mikemurphy »

David,

Otaki and Draeger's book is a valuable asset to any Judoka as is Kano's "Kodakan Judo" (sorry for the spelling) book. The pictures tell a thousand words, but remember, they are only pictures, and most times, don't relate what the throw is really about. Furthermore, they are taught in Judo kata fashion of for the most part. There is no realism or sense of danger with the book's version. You really need to go out and check it out yourself (which I know you have).

Mike
david

Judo - Formal Techniques

Post by david »

Aah, Mike, of course books can never replace actual practice and experience. Image given a choice words or practice, always choose the latter. However, practice/experience, combined with words through books, videos or forums like these can lead to more thinking, more exploration and perhaps an epihany here or there. So, one can hope. Image

david
rich_simons

Judo - Formal Techniques

Post by rich_simons »

The following link has lots of good photos, drawings, and animiation of judo techniques:
http://www.judoinfo.com/techjudo.htm
david

Judo - Formal Techniques

Post by david »

Rich,

That is a great link/site! Goes into my "favorites" folder.

I would suggest future treads on judo techniques should be linked to one of the descriptions on this site so readers can get a better idea of what's being discussed.

david

PS. Hope to catch up with ya, soon.
f.Channell

Judo - Formal Techniques

Post by f.Channell »

Dave,
One of the things I look for in a judo book are the combination throws. For instance what to follow up a O-goshi with when it fails in randori. Being able to link throw after throw together is what I admire in my judo seniors. The book mike mentions (Kodokan)has that info. Judoinfo.com I don't believe does that but its great reference for hold downs etc..
david

Judo - Formal Techniques

Post by david »

Fred,

Looks like I have to add another book to the collection. Image

Morphing techniques is definitely another, higher level of practice. Reading gives you a sense of the possibility. Practice is DEFINITELY needed to sense and capitalize on the changing momentum within an engagement.

In terms of discussion on these forums, I think Mike and I, if not others as well, find ourselves calling different names for the same technique. Rory also uses a different terminology sometimes. Makes the discussion confusing sometimes. So, the link can be a good one to get everyone "grounded" on the same technique being discussed. Image (Yeah, I know, lousy pun.)

david

[This message has been edited by david (edited January 30, 2001).]
f.Channell

Judo - Formal Techniques

Post by f.Channell »

David,
My favorite is Best Judo by Isao Inokuma and Nobuyuki Sato. Got it at amazon. This one has the combination techniques and some strength training for judo. Now if my dislocated finger will just heal......
The terminology of judo is international because of the sport aspect. I think mike uses the same terminology as judoinfo.com. A decent martial artist needs to know chinese, japanese and a smattering of filipino to enjoy all these arts!
fred
mikemurphy

Judo - Formal Techniques

Post by mikemurphy »

Rich,

Great site. Why didn't you say anything earlier??? :-)

mike
rich_simons

Judo - Formal Techniques

Post by rich_simons »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mikemurphy:
Rich,

Great site. Why didn't you say anything earlier??? :-)

mike
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just found it recently....

"Best Judo" is a great book. The photos are very clear. And, the authors include many permutations of standard techniques.

They also (as was mentioned earlier) describe combinations. These are invaluable, as a good opponent will not just stand there and let you throw him with harai-goshi. You'll have to use (for example) an ouchi-gari to get him to step and then BAMM -- you're "eating at the judo buffet!" In a jujutsu situation, you would more likely NOT set up the technique with another throw, but with an atemi.

Rich

Return to “Jujitsu/Grappling Arts”