Basic kansetsu

Reopened!!! The jujitsu forum will focus on traditional and non-traditional Jujitsu/grappling arts.
david

Basic kansetsu

Post by david »

Joe,

Glad you're having fun with this "internet stuff." Image

I would have to say I have to work on a whole bunch of stuff in grappling and other things! Again, I am believer in preparing for the as much of the contingencies as possible (besides it's fun.) But definitely will take your advice on the rear naked choke.

I think your percentages are interesting. I wouldn't disagree with the need to learn those components but I am not sure if I agree with the weighted percentages. Probably because in recent years, I am more concerned with and hear more about "steet predator" types rather than say fights in a club or bar. Their M.O. is to get your money ASAP with minimal fuss and get out. An extended fight is not what they want. Generally, they want to sucker someone or come with a weapon. Striking with or without a weapon seems to be preferred. Of course, women face a different type of predation. Certainly, grappling would be helpful to counter that. Anyway, your percentages certainly are something for folks to mull over.

david
paul giella

Basic kansetsu

Post by paul giella »

Mike-Sensei,
I have been of the opinion for a long time that what Uechi-ryu needs (to help round out the training)is a prearranged kansetsu set. If we all took the time to learn it, and paracticed it in class like we do the other kumite and kata, these very effective moves would come closer to second nature. Steve Diorio teaches a set of about twenty moves. He taught me the first eight or so, which I sometimes practice, and we sometimes take a couple of the universal locks (such as koto-gaesh and the basic arm bar)and work them in class. But a drill we could all learn and make a regular part of the curriculum would go a long way toward broadening our minds. Do you already have such a drill? (Are you holding out on us, keeping it secret like a shaolin monk?)Would you be willing to make one up (even just a few very basic joint locks)and teach it to us?
mikemurphy

Basic kansetsu

Post by mikemurphy »

Paul Sensei,

I'm not holding out on anyone. I promise!!

As many of you know, I have created a series of bunkai in which I add on to the movement with a kansetsu or osae waza, or even a nage waza (in the case of Seisan). If you are simply looking for a dril to practice locks etc., one can be make up. It's important to note that (and some people may disagree) that there are only so many ways to lock somebody up. What makes it different is how you get into the lock and where your emphasis is on.

For example, you can practice kotegaeshi in a number of different ways, and from different locations (on the floor or standing up-inverted or reversed). In other words, tell me what you are looking for in particular and I'll whip something up with a Uechi taste.

mike
Kroh

Basic kansetsu

Post by Kroh »

Hello All...
Gonna be my first post on this side of the house ( this particualar forum )so please excuse the poor romanization of any Japanese ( sumi masen ).
I think the best thing about joint locking techniques/attacks is that they can serve a variety of purposes with the option to inflict little or large amounts of damage depending on the situation.
The one thing that I have heard a lot about from others who train is that they do not do a lot of grappling training in their system. They sometimes feel at a disadvantage when confronted with it ( most common when they cross train).
What many of these martial artists who are on the outside of the grappling intensive arts ( Jujutsu, Aikido, Hankido, Etc.) are not seeing is that these joint attacks are there and very easily put into their repetoire ( Man, my English is worse than my Japanese). A Muy Thai boxer is not going to immediatly see that the back fist directed at him can be re-directed and then redirected again into a wrist torque take down ( of course there would be a little atemi style pounding to keep his mind off of what you are doing to his wrist ).
One of the benefits to all the ways that we communicate these days is that now all this info is available. Now if we feel that jointlocking is something that can help in our training ( couldn't hurt)...Why not put it in....

Thanx for the minute...

------------------
fight the good fight

Return to “Jujitsu/Grappling Arts”