Choking seminar

Reopened!!! The jujitsu forum will focus on traditional and non-traditional Jujitsu/grappling arts.
Joe Sullivan

Choking seminar

Post by Joe Sullivan »

Joe P.

Mike, I want to hold a seminar on choking techniques on Saturday, April 14th, at 10:00 A.M. Either at Gary's or My place. Do you think anybody will be interested?

Joe P.
david

Choking seminar

Post by david »

Joe,

I'm there. Do it.

david

PS. This does conflict with the Hut class schedule and probably Mike's too. May be better later in the early afternoon.

[This message has been edited by david (edited March 25, 2001).]
mikemurphy

Choking seminar

Post by mikemurphy »

Joe,

I'll have to check the schedule at the dojo, but off the top of my head it sounds ok. No offense to Gary's most EXCELLENT dojo, but your's would probably be a better location for people to get to.

Also, if you would like to combine a seminar in which I could go over a traditional choke technique and then you could go over a more practical application. Would that be something of interest? If not, you won't hurt my feelings. :-)

Mike

PS, it's smaller, but my dojo is always accessible.
gmattson
Site Admin

Choking seminar

Post by gmattson »

Yes, please reschedule not to conflict with the Hut's Saturday 10am program.

Thanks
Joe Sullivan

Choking seminar

Post by Joe Sullivan »

Joe P. here,

Mike, what is the difference between a practical choke and a traditional choke? And if the traditional choke is not as realistic ar the practical choke...why teach it? I anticipate your reaponse.

I just got through speaking with Mr. Mattson and he suggested Sunday. How about April 15th at 10:00 A.M.?. As long as people want to go and are excited, I will go anywhere-anytime to train! I think training at my dojo would be nice...Gary?

Directions to Reality Self-Defense at 106 Hale St. in Bridgewater can be found at www.realityselfdefense.baweb.com.

Like G Koury said, if nobody shows, we train without them.

Joe P.

[This message has been edited by Joe Sullivan (edited March 26, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Joe Sullivan (edited March 26, 2001).]
mikemurphy

Choking seminar

Post by mikemurphy »

Joe,

There is no difference in the choke, only in the way presented. For example, it is much like kata. Not very practical, yet important to practice for the form sake, etc. Even Judo has certain kata that they practice. Is it the way they do it in competition? Certainly not, but helpful in learning and understanding how the movement is applied, etc.

My hadaka jime is the same as your naked choke, hopefully the same results. The difference is the reality in which you could present the choke. I could show it from a "kata" standpoint, but since I don't necessarily practice it in a grappling scenario as much as you, you could show it in a more practical situation. Do you agree?

If you think you could do both, then I'll be just as happy sweating it out in the audience :-) Plus, you probably use a lot more chokes than I do anyway. I was only suggesting a way that people who are novices to the world of shime waza could get a handle on the concepts.

I bow to your discretion in this matter dude. Whatever you would like to do, I'm game!

My suggestion would not be a Sunday as it is the only day many of us have to spend with family. I don't mind closing the school, but how about Saturday afternoon then? That way, everyone is still in training mood.

cya,

mike
Joe Sullivan

Choking seminar

Post by Joe Sullivan »

It's settled then:

My dojo in Bridgewater www.realityselfdefense.baweb.com

Saturday, April 14th

2:30 P.M.

Everybody in the world is invited.

$ 10.00 mat fee.

I can't wait!

[This message has been edited by Joe Sullivan (edited March 27, 2001).]
gmattson
Site Admin

Choking seminar

Post by gmattson »

Thanks for setting a time that will allow those of us with morning classes to attend.

I'll promote the session and will be there as well.

George
Joe Sullivan

Choking seminar

Post by Joe Sullivan »

Joe P.

It's been some time, but…who's coming? I look foreword to training with some motivated people at the "choke" seminar this Saturday.

Mike, do you have any classes in the afternoon that I can check out during April vacation (I am a fifth grade teacher in Brockton)?
mikemurphy

Choking seminar

Post by mikemurphy »

Joe,

I will be there on Saturday along with several of my students (3 or 4 I think). Can't wait!!

As for the afternoon classes, I don't hold them; only evening classes. You are always welcome to any of those!!

mike
mikemurphy

Choking seminar

Post by mikemurphy »

Joe,

BTW, it'll be good to get away from the MCAS this week. I feel like choking myself out :-(

mike
Joe Sullivan

Choking seminar

Post by Joe Sullivan »

Mike,

I hear ya!

Feel free to come early to train, talk, or whatever.

Joe

Return to “Jujitsu/Grappling Arts”