May 12

Reopened!!! The jujitsu forum will focus on traditional and non-traditional Jujitsu/grappling arts.
mikemurphy

May 12

Post by mikemurphy »

Just a reminder with everything that is going on these days. The throwing seminar will be next week at Len Testa's dojo in Brockton, MA.

I'm not sure how much space he has, but I don know that the throwing we will be doing will take a little bit of room. With that said however, there are always ways to get a good workout, and learn something significant in a room of any size.

I hope you all come down. This will be a great opportunity for you to expand upon what Joe P. has been telling us. I'll just be offering you one more link in the chain.

Remember, anyone can do these throws. They will not be the more difficult Kodokan Judo throws; rather, more simple and realistic throws that will work on the street in the right situation.

You can get directions from Lenny's forum. The seminar is from 2-4:30 and the mat fee is $10.00.

Cya there, and happy shooting this week!!

mike
LenTesta

May 12

Post by LenTesta »

Mike

The workout space is about 800 square feet.

If my mats are not suitable for throwing any higher than over the hip throws. Do you have any folding mats that you could bring?

------------------
Len
david

May 12

Post by david »

Mike/Len.

I am gonna try to come and watch. Don't think I want to be on the mat. Too close to the tournament now to risk an injury. As it is, I love throws and taking ukemi and such but it takes me days to recover from these types of workout.

david
mikemurphy

May 12

Post by mikemurphy »

Lenny and David,

I'm not going to teach anything over the hip, as I can't be sure that people will fall correctly. With that said, I don't think any folding mats will be necessary. And you won't have to worry about injury so close to tournament (which Lenny and I will also be at).

We are looking for the safest environment to teach these throws and get a good workout.

mike
mikemurphy

May 12

Post by mikemurphy »

Len,

I'm sure your mats are fine. A lot softer than the wooden floors I learned on (ouch!!)

mike
LenTesta

May 12

Post by LenTesta »

Mike:
Fred and I have been teaching the students at the BUKA how to fall for the last three weeks. We have covered a lot of what Fred has learned in his Judo classes and all of my students who have taken Fred's grappling class on Wednesday nights have a good understanding of falling with the basic arm slaps. We covered falling on your back and on the sides with the arm slaps. For front falling we were teaching shoulder rolls. I teach a little bit different shoulder roll than Fred, but it works just as well.

Sensei Mattson stopped in last Saturday to look at the mats. He said they were excellant mats for karate but they may be too hard for judo or jujitsu study without using a softer mat on top for throws. I am glad that you are not showing those throws. You will be concentrating on controlled takedowns I assume. I have been working some controlled takedowns myself the past couple of weeks. If you do not demonstrate the few that I know, I will show you what we have been studying.

See you Saturday

------------------
Len

Return to “Jujitsu/Grappling Arts”