judo/uechi girls

Reopened!!! The jujitsu forum will focus on traditional and non-traditional Jujitsu/grappling arts.
f.Channell

judo/uechi girls

Post by f.Channell »

Just wanted to congratulate my daughters who competed in a tournament in judo this past weekend J. took second place in her weight class and A. took third in hers. They were promoted tonight as well. Their yellow belt in Uechi is right around the corner as well... I would like to thank Sensei Murphy who got me into grappling in the first place.
Thanks mike!
f.
mikemurphy

judo/uechi girls

Post by mikemurphy »

Fred,

Your very welcome. Congratulations not only on your daughter's activities, but on your own as well. Dewey tells me that you are progressing very well. That's quite a complement from him.

Anyway, we missed you this weekend, you missed a great camp.

mike
f.Channell

judo/uechi girls

Post by f.Channell »

Mike,
Hoping for winterfest, had an unfortunate problem with the wifes car last week. Still doing three nights a week of Uechi, I got bruises on top of bruises to prove it!
f.
f.Channell

judo/uechi girls

Post by f.Channell »

Mike and Joe P.,
Also:
Got tapped out by this one on saturday at my tournament (sore shoulder as well) any release ideas? http://home.astrakan.hig.se/tommy/judopic/kutate.gif
f.
Joe Sullivan

judo/uechi girls

Post by Joe Sullivan »

Joe Pomfret here

Can I take a crack at this one Mike?

F. Channell, the scarf choke is no joke. The best way to get out of this one, is not to get caught in it in the first place. What I mean is, it's like defending a punch after it hits you, once it is done, the damage is done.

I have an escape for you though if you get caught there again...YOUR GONNA LOVE THIS.

The same arm that was draped accross your throat, instead of having the whole arm dangling, bend your arm and bring that hand to the back of your head. You'll find that when you grip your head and point that elbow (all of this with the same arm) to the sky, it lets you blood flow and gives you some breathing room. Given that relief, work yourself back to the guard in order to controll your opponent so she does not have the leverage.

If you would like clarification, please feel free to call (508) 517 8098.

I have other escapes besides that one!

[This message has been edited by Joe Sullivan (edited August 01, 2001).]
f.Channell

judo/uechi girls

Post by f.Channell »

Joe,
Wasn't so much the choke but the pressure on the shoulder, the arm wasn't into the neck. I'll try that arm reposition.
He also had the hooks which he got when I tried to bridge. One of my judo senseis told me to do this. With the free hand push down on the knee and lock it between my legs, trap his arm and bridge to the side with the trapped leg and arm rolling him over. No white belt judoka but me showed up at the tournament so I had to fight the brown belts, I had no prior experience with this hold. Now I do luckily. I was first in a side mount which I broke, then he tried a rear choke which I blocked, then he hooked a leg and rolled me over trying to get a single arm choke, and then he got me in this hold down, relive it a million times.
Next time I see you Joe I'll show you my position I was in.
fred
Steve

judo/uechi girls

Post by Steve »

Joe - Fred has trained a couple of times at your dojo. He came to your very first seminar and once or twice more with Ricco.

Fred - keep up the good work! I have to give you a lot of credit. At age 41, I only lasted a couple of months in Judo. The throws were almost too much for my body to handle, even with mats and proper falling technique!

------------------
D. Steven White
swhite@umassd.edu
Joe Sullivan

judo/uechi girls

Post by Joe Sullivan »

Joe P.

Fred, have we met before?

I give you much credit for attempting to raise your level of training by getting on the mat and competing. I find that lessons learned in competition, especially when you are the one getting tapped, are the lessons that stick the longest.

I bet that when you learn the escape from this position it will be very difficult to catch you there again.

I think I know the shoulder pressure that you referred to; it HURTS!

Good luck in future competitive endeavors. Hopefully, next time there will be some competitors of your rank level to roll with.

Joe Pomfret

P.S. I was just thinking how truly capable your daughters will be if they take both their Uechi AND judo studies seriously. A thought that should give you some comfort as they get older.

[This message has been edited by Joe Sullivan (edited August 02, 2001).]
f.Channell

judo/uechi girls

Post by f.Channell »

Joe,
Yes I've trained with you a few times, I train at lennys. The judo and karate study have confused the kids at times but in the long run should make them able to take care of themselves.
Steve,
Theres a judoka Dan rank there who is around 63, he just missed his 45 high school reunion. But I know what you mean he is rare as are many Uechi seniors.
f.

Return to “Jujitsu/Grappling Arts”