does anyone like grappeling? besides me?

Reopened!!! The jujitsu forum will focus on traditional and non-traditional Jujitsu/grappling arts.
karateguy

Post by karateguy »

Hi I am new. I am a 2nd degree black belt in the art of ninkido( or American free style) I have been takeing Karate for almost 6 years. I would like to know if there are any grapplers out there?

------------------
dont blame the choker! blame the chokee. Image

[This message has been edited by karateguy (edited August 08, 2001).]
LAC

Post by LAC »

Originally posted by karateguy:
I would like to know if there are any grapplers out there?

Welcome to the forums karateguy. I am a grappler. Actually I study Uechi-Ryu and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
How long have you been grappling?

Good training, Peace Out...

------------------
L.A.C.
karateguy

Post by karateguy »

I have been grappeling for about 2 and one half years. I think that without grappeling most kick boxers/karate people, would be out of a fight very fast. what would be your favorite move? I like the classic armbar myself.

Dont blame the choker! blame the chokee! Image

[This message has been edited by karateguy (edited August 08, 2001).]
mikemurphy

Post by mikemurphy »

karateguy,

You have the privilege of writing on a forum that many talented grapplers monitor. One in fact is Joe Pomfret, who fights no-holds-barred competition around the New England area. Perhaps Joe would chirp in on your comments.

As for your comment about what grappling does, I have to agree with you. Without the ability, or the practice, a regular fighter would be out of the fight very quickly. But I do believe it should be learned in conjunction with another empty hand art, such as karate or kung fu, etc.

mike
LAC

Post by LAC »

Originally posted by karateguy:
What would be your favorite move?

I would say at this time the "paintbrush" is my favorite. More out of it being the one I have practiced and tried to utilize the most than anything else.
I also agree with your feelings on karate practitioners not having grappling skills if their reason for study is self defense. I liken it to a carpenter with only a tape and no saw. He needs both tools on his belt.

What got you into grappling in the first place?

Good training, Peace Out....

------------------
L.A.C.
Malcolm Wagner

Post by Malcolm Wagner »

Karate-guy,

I study Isshinryu karate, and freestyle JJ.

Favorite-move? Rear-naked choke---because it works on everyone regardless of size or training.

LAC-by paintbrush do you mean a key-lock? One arm under elbow of opponent reinforcing your other hand holding opponents wrist---then "paint" the fingers backwards? I also like this move because most unexperienced opponents don't know what you are trying until it's too late. Do you know how to defend this move???

Mal
Joe Sullivan

Post by Joe Sullivan »

Joe Pomfret here

I love these kinds of threads! Karateguy, I’m a purple-belt in BJJ as well as a Uechi black-belt…so I hear what you are saying about the importance of having a grappling background to compliment your Uechi skills.

I have to tell you the truth; I would NEVER fight in the NHB events that I do with only my Uechi skills. I’m not saying Our Uechi is ineffective, just in need of a little up-dating.

In my humble opinion; Uechi Ryu + Grappling = a complete fighter.

As to a favorite submission technique, I like to pick one as a favorite, then look to use that technique all the time and from every possible angle. After I feel as if I own that technique (after a long, long time), I choose a new favorite! At this time, new favorite technique is the heel-hook…so WATCH OUT!

By the way, my next NHB fight is on Friday night on August 24th in Fall River MA…want to go? My match is the main event and the guy I’m fighting a freestyle fighter from Maine. He has a 2 and 2 record in NHB.

Contact me at Joeyrsd@cs.com

[This message has been edited by Joe Sullivan (edited August 09, 2001).]
LenTesta

Post by LenTesta »

OOOPS tried to contact you...Bad link Joe.

I need two tickets for your fight.

Christin and Rico want tickets also.

E-mail me at <A HREF="mailto:BrocktonUKA@aol.com">BrocktonUKA@aol.com</A>

------------------
Len
LAC

Post by LAC »

LAC-by paintbrush do you mean a key-lock? Do you know how to defend this move???
- Mal
Yup, that's the one. As far as defending against this move, my defense right now is a good offense. Which is weak at best. Still very new to BJJ. So please do share.

I love the rear naked choke. If you go to www.nagafighter.com under the MASS Destruction II photos there is an awesome shot of a rear naked choke. The fighter was Josh Pupa. The photo was snapped just at the point where the chokee has his hand raised to tap out. Josh has this look on his face. I would love to know what was going through his mind at this point. He is so calm. Unlike the chokee.

Joe Pomfret, I don't think you want to put the www in front of your email address. I believe it should be Joeyrsd@cs.com

Good training, Peace Out...
Laura

[This message has been edited by LAC (edited August 09, 2001).]
Malcolm Wagner

Post by Malcolm Wagner »

Laura wrote,

"As far as defending against this move, my defense right now is a good offense. Which is weak at best. Still very new to BJJ. So please do share."

Keep up the good offense. Early in my ground fighting days I found myself almost falling into the guard, like this was my only option. If you can keep from getting there (the bottom) you can end the fight faster from the top. The guard is good if you are fighting a stronger, heavier fighter, but you still have to move.

My defense against the "paintbrush" is to insert my other (free) arm inside the triangle made by the lock and leverage my trapped arm back up---can you see it? Be careful because if your opponent is good, he will give up the "key-lock" and go for an armbar on the other arm, it's very easy since you are extended already. Your elbows and ribs should be best friends, keep them close.

Fight every one you can, and learn the basics like your name----1.base 2.mobility 3.focused-calm

Man I love the ground game;-)

Mal
karateguy

Post by karateguy »

Hey all! thanks for the replies.

LAC

I first got interested in grappling when my instructor showed us that he could litlary beat a stand up fighter very easily.

Joe P.
I would love to go to your fight but I live in Arkansas! so it might be a long drive for me. lol.

Have any of you ever heard of Max Bishop?
He was a body guard for George Bush senior.
He was also named no.2 grappler in the world a while back.
any way he came to my school and taught some seminars that is where I learned allot of my moves.

anyway bye all.

------------------
Don't blame the choker! Blame the chokee. Image

[This message has been edited by karateguy (edited August 09, 2001).]
RA Miller

Post by RA Miller »

Welcome, karateguy.

I'm a classical jujutsuka, so most of my preferences are for neck snapping. Image

When playing, I like the cross strangle, the kataguruma pin, and the straight arm bar of the tricep tendon. Fingerlocks are the big equalizers, but they are rarely allowed.

Rory
LAC

Post by LAC »

Originally posted by Malcolm Wagner:

Keep up the good offense. Early in my ground fighting days I found myself almost falling into the guard, like this was my only option. If you can keep from getting there (the bottom) you can end the fight faster from the top. The guard is good if you are fighting a stronger, heavier fighter, but you still have to move.

** Thanks for the advice, I'll take all that I can get. ** LAC

My defense against the "paintbrush" is to insert my other (free) arm inside the triangle made by the lock and leverage my trapped arm back up---can you see it? Be careful because if your opponent is good, he will give up the "key-lock" and go for an armbar on the other arm, it's very easy since you are extended already. Your elbows and ribs should be best friends, keep them close.
** I'm going to see if someone will work through this with me in class ** LAC

Fight every one you can, and learn the basics like your name----1.base 2.mobility 3.focused-calm

***What does my name have to do with anything? **
** I wish I could fight everyday. Right now I can't wait until I get to a point where I can maintain dominant position. Is that what you mean by base? I've got to start paying more attention to the terminology too. ** LAC

Man I love the ground game;-)
** Yeah, me too! **

Good training, Peace Out....
Laura
LAC

Post by LAC »

Oh, one more thing. My link was bad for the rear naked choke photo. Here is a good one. www.nagafighter.com
Sorry about that. I had spelled it wrong initially and thought editing my post would take care of it but it didn't.
They updated the sight. So click on the NAGA section. Then on the left hand side at the bottom of your options click on "Past Results" This will bring up Mass Destruction 2. The photo is the fight of Josh Pupa. A true kodak moment if I ever saw one.

Good training, Peace Out, Don't give up your back!!!

Laura

[This message has been edited by LAC (edited August 10, 2001).]
karateguy

Post by karateguy »

Hey lac how long have you been grapelling?
bye all

------------------
Don't blame the choker! blame the chokee. Image

[This message has been edited by karateguy (edited August 10, 2001).]

Return to “Jujitsu/Grappling Arts”