Where do i start ??

Reopened!!! The jujitsu forum will focus on traditional and non-traditional Jujitsu/grappling arts.
Stryke

Where do i start ??

Post by Stryke »

Hi there , Im a Karateka whos seriously starting to look at the ground game , where i live i find Judo is my only real option , I was looking for advice on what i should be looking for in a class ? , also ive heard judo is very sport orientated is a good choice for learning the basics? ,( I Know its the club and instructor not the style, but please indulge me Image ) , any advice on how to handle training in two arts ? , etc

any help would be grately appreciated
rich_simons

Where do i start ??

Post by rich_simons »

You are correct. Judo is typically taught in a very sport-oriented fashion, where success in competition is stressed. However, I have found that you do not need to compete if you don't want to. The caveat is this: judo rank is calculated based on a formula that accounts for time-in-grade and/or points accumulated in competition.

That being said...

Judo training can definitely help you to develop your ground-fighting repertoire. Many clubs focus as much time on stand-up techniques (nage waza - throwing techniques) as they do on ground techniques (katame waza - grappling techniques). You will definitely get both.

Depending on you, the following may be positive or negative. One thing that you may find in judo clubs is that the more advanced students may be a bit more aggressive. This results from the emphasis on competition. Do not be surprised if you are often thrown, choked, or hyper-extended in the first few months (during randori - free practice). Obviously, you will get a chance to practice your techniques, but you will probably spend a lot of time being on the receiving-end of the more advanced students for a while.

Look for a club that has a good attitude. Do you want to be involved in a dojo where people are getting hurt? Are the students having a good time? Are they getting "a good sweat?"

Nothwithstanding the above, look for a nurturing environment that will help you learn safely.

These are some of my experiences.

Rich

[This message has been edited by rich_simons (edited August 15, 2001).]
mikemurphy

Where do i start ??

Post by mikemurphy »

Stryke,

Go for it! My experience has been limited, but I'll tell you that two of my jujitsu students (Rich being one of them) have also decided to study Judo. One of the things Judo does that my style of Jujitsu does not is expand upon the ground techniques. Both gentlemen have become quite proficient on the ground due to this training. In fact, they are teaching me and the other members of my dojo quite a lot about ground work. My suggestion is to go do it if the dojo makes you feel comfortable,

mike
Souders

Where do i start ??

Post by Souders »

Any grappling art has good basics. I've found that most judo schools spent 75% working throws and the other 25% working ground skills. This is do to the nature of the sport allowing only around 30 seconds on the ground after the takedown. I think you should check it out for sure. But if you have any friends that are in even bacis high school wrestling learn from them also. A judo man with wrestling skills are some of the hardest people i've seen to takedown. Also do you want to0 learn gi or no gi grappling?
RA Miller

Where do i start ??

Post by RA Miller »

Stryke-

Judo is great basics. You will get used to contact. You will come to an intuitive understanding of balance and momentum. You will learn how to read intention by touch. A good instructor makes all the difference, of course. Expect a tough first few months. Most good judo clubs have learned that very few students can stick with the work-out. The vast majority drop out in the first two months. It simply hurts more than most MAs. If you stick, though, the experience and skills will be invaluable.

Rory
Stryke

Where do i start ??

Post by Stryke »

Thanks for all your replies , Im just looking out for something to balance out my striking art , thanks for all the usefull info ill keep it in mind , also can anyone offer any advice on how to balance training in tWo arts , is it possible to do it without somehow neglecting either or both art ? , thanks again for the advice
Joe Sullivan

Where do i start ??

Post by Joe Sullivan »

Joe P. here.

Good question Stryke.

I believe it all depends on the amount of time you have to train. If you are the typical busy person and can only afford two days per week, an hour and a half per class, then you should concentrate one discipline (striking) or the other (grappling) for a while. When you are comfortable, start peeking at the opposite aspect.

I think that It's all about the amount of time and energy you are willing, or able, to dedicate. The question comes right back to you. Are you the average 2x per week guy? Are you willing to train on your own; if so, how much? Are you willing to supplement your training by purchasing instructional videos and practicing with a friend?

This really is a great question to ponder.
mikemurphy

Where do i start ??

Post by mikemurphy »

Joe is sooooo right here. The practice of any art(s) is up to you on an individual basis. In other words, it all depends on you. How much time do you want to spend training on one art or the other? That's the question. Those of us who own dojos have a unique situation where we are at the dojo everyday mostly, so we can devote more time than most (doesn't mean we get any better) :-) , but for those of you who have other commitments and can only train two or three times per week, don't sweat it. All you have is time!! SO TAKE IT and make good use of it.

mike
f.Channell

Where do i start ??

Post by f.Channell »

Stryke,
I've been training in judo for the past year now and I am a dan rank in karate. I train 3 days a week in karate and one day a week in judo. Judo has allowed me to see karate through a different set of eyes and changed many of the ways I apply techniques. However if you were to train more often in Judo, I still don't see your technique in karate suffering much.
I'll go as far as to say that a person can study both as a white belt beginning them together and do fine.(my kids do)
I say go for it.
Rich,
The cats out of the bag?
fred
Souders

Where do i start ??

Post by Souders »

Can it be done? Well i study these arts. BJJ,sombo,judo,thai boxing,boxing,aikido,kali,some savate,a little kung fu and karate,and a couple others. Its not if you can but how well you blend them. The worst fighters anywhere are the ones who don't crosstrain. What ever you expect from a fight won't happen so why not be ready for all. Later, Brad
Joe Sullivan

Where do i start ??

Post by Joe Sullivan »

C'mon Stryke, you should have responded by now! :-)

I told you this is a great question to ponder. So far, you have read conflicting advice. The views given do not provide you with enough information to make a confident choice.

Are you in a position to be a professional martial arts student, or, do you work 60 hours a week and have a family to tend to (of course, you do not need to disclose any personal information)?
Stryke

Where do i start ??

Post by Stryke »

Heh heh , thanks all Image

I havent responded as we are in conflicting time zones , Im just home from work down here in New Zealand , as for a little information im currently a shodan in karate with 9 years under my belt , as for Martial arts i love it , i already train a minimum of 3 days a week used to be four or five (was a litle crazy Image ), what i was realistically thinking was keep the three of karate add one of judo , that and my fitness ,& weight training should keep me fairly busy , I am intrigued by the thought of being a novice, and im really trying to get out there and not have the blinkers on , was wondering if one night a week was really gonna be enough , I really appreciate the advice, its all good .

have been a lurker for quite a while , am quite happy to get involved with these wonderfull forums

PS: pretty sure im No 1000

Return to “Jujitsu/Grappling Arts”