mini tourney??? for fun and training.

Reopened!!! The jujitsu forum will focus on traditional and non-traditional Jujitsu/grappling arts.
T Rose

Post by T Rose »

It would be great to see more young Uechi people getting involved with the type of fighting/training that Joe Pomfret, Jim Deluca and the likes do. Lots of Uechi dojo now are incorporating new aspects into their training curriculums such as ground work...

what do guys think about a training tourney? If not a tourney then some other venue maybe?
What I am getting at is a way to help and encourage more Uechi types to get involved in the full range fighting. I personally wouldn't want to fight a NHB like joe does unless I was able to check my ability.
The hits wouldn't be 'full' like the NHB fights, particularly on the ground. The matches would be 'strong and spirited' (whatever that means) but with the demeanor of training vs. competition.. I don't know if this can even be done ... it was a monday morning thought...

Opinions????

later
gmattson
Site Admin

Post by gmattson »

Sounds like my goals for the first Uechi Championships. . . Copntinuous stand-up and limited grappling. A good idea, but badly implimented. . .

We need more interdojo training sessions, where people can train together and learn both the positive and negative implications of a particular sport. In other words... the rules.

Once enough students become familiar with the rules and comfortable enough with the idea of competing, they will participate in a limited or open event.

A good place to start is supporting existing events, such as the one open Uechi Championship. If we can't convince our students to participate in a relatively safe event, using rules of a sport that has been around for 40 years, I don't see much hope trying to convince them to do something different, that is perceived as far more dangerous.

------------------
GEM
T Rose

Post by T Rose »

"We need more interdojo training sessions, where people can train together and learn both the positive and negative implications of a particular sport. In other words... the rules.

Once enough students become familiar with the rules and comfortable enough with the idea of competing, they will participate in a limited or open event."

true enough.. we need more inter dojo training sessions so people will be willing to try. once their confidence grows then maybe they will be willing to get involved with a tournament. Maybe having much smaller, less competitive venues might be a way of growing a new (breed) lot of competitors. or maybe not...
I'm not sure that the rules are a 'show stopper' with most would be competitors. I can't say what is keeping most people out other than a lack of interest. Informal, smaller, fun oriented mini-training-tourney sessions might get some on-the-line people involved...

I really don't know but this is shaping up to be a good discussion????

later
Joe Sullivan

Post by Joe Sullivan »

Joe P. here,

Sounds graet T, where do I sign up?

Anything that can be done to bring the people of our great organization together to train, learn, and grow...I'm all for.

If anything, I believe the Uechi-Ryu instructiors would benefit from an event-training day like this in order to give their students something to go with their Uechi techniques.

What do you have to lose Tracy, by trying to get something like this going?

Joe P.
JDeLuca

Post by JDeLuca »

Hey T; It was great to see you and I hope you had a great workout on Sunday. Having you Gary K and Steve P in the group made the workout a blast from the past. Both you and Sensei Mattson mentioned interdojo training. I would like to extend an invitation to the Uechi community to come and train with us. The workout at this time is all mat work and grappling

The workout starts at 9:00AM and ends whenever. For many people especialy dojo owners this seems to be the only time they have off. While some techniques will be taught to the group I would like the direction of this session to be a learn as you roll.

Do to Gary's interest and his generosity with his dojo we have one of the best places to train that I have seen. There is no cost involved and the only requirements for those who wish to come and train is a gi and a positive attitude.

I think the next progression for individuals that want to compete would be to enter a local established tournament to hone their skills in competion against people at the same size and ability levels. Mixing strikes and grappling in competition could be the next level for some individuals but I would not encourage it until a person is proficient in both.

PS If anyone is interested please indicated through this thread and I'll post directions to G Khoury's Dojo.

------------------
J Deluca
Joe Sullivan

Post by Joe Sullivan »

Jim, could you post directions? The last time that I went to Gary's, I used mapquest and got lost.

Thankyou,

Joe P.
JDeLuca

Post by JDeLuca »

Joe P
It would be great to get to train with you. I hope we see you soon.

The best way to get to Gary's from your direction would be to take Rte 95 N to
Rte 3 N to 495 N to Rte 38 (exit 38). Take a left at the bottom of the offramp and follow Rte 38 approximately a mile. Gary's school is on the left across from Gold's gym and in a plaza with a Pizza Hut .

PS How is the traning for your fight going?

------------------
J Deluca
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

Any one going to Vans class on monday night can stay and roll with me afterwards. Joe A. and myself have been doing some immediately following the torture chamber. Joe has a year or two of BJJ and I'm a greenbelt in judo training for a couple of upcoming tournaments. Van and grappling in one night, come on down.
f.
T Rose

Post by T Rose »

hey jim,

I had a great time!!! always do.. great group of people, no egos, no idle talk..everyone there for one purpose: to train... I'll see you sunday and the next sunday and the next till I am no longer mat meat :-)

I encourage anyone with an interest to come on down.. can't stress how much fun and learning there is.

later
Joe Sullivan

Post by Joe Sullivan »

Jim, the training is going well, thanks for asking.

I am still working on getting my cardio to the proper level for an NHB so I am looking forward to a lot of mat time.

I am hoping to make it up there one of these Sundays.

Joe P.

Ps, is it ok for me to train in just shorts and a T-shirt, just because a full gi adds scenarios that will not be present in the fight.
JDeLuca

Post by JDeLuca »

Joe P
We can definitely work out no gi whenever you show, especially when you are in training for a NHB. Also if you want to work on anything specific that would help your training I'm all for it. Don't hesitate to use a Sunday mornings to train for your fight.

------------------
J Deluca
david

Post by david »

Alright, DeLuca, I can be mat meat with the best of 'em! Image

david

Return to “Jujitsu/Grappling Arts”