Grappling art for me ?

Reopened!!! The jujitsu forum will focus on traditional and non-traditional Jujitsu/grappling arts.
Stryke

Grappling art for me ?

Post by Stryke »

Hello , Im predominantly a striker and a shotokan student , Ive dabbled with informal judo , and do a bit of informal grappling type work with martial artists ive met over the years .

The thing is im moving soon , and its going to throw my training up in the air , rather than let it bother me ive decided to use this as an oppurtunity to further my grapling skills, Im going to keep my core art as the one i do more informaly for a while .

The question is what art should i try , im more than willing to empty my cup , Im predominantly look for something that will round me out as a martial artist , and am more self defence than sport focused when it comes to grappling , Judo , Aikido , jujustsu , BJJ , etc etc , its worse than the striking arts , I know im going to have to look more at the specific schools instructors , but anyhting that the forumites could share would be greatly appreciated .
Troll Under the Bridge

Grappling art for me ?

Post by Troll Under the Bridge »

I think it will really depend on where you move to. Take the time to search around.

I was lucky enough to find a small group with which to study aiki-jujutsu. They are a good bunch of people and our fees are only $15 per month. A large number of the guys also train in the judo classes offered there. Additionaly, I found a law enforcment group that trains in DT. Due to the nature of my work, they allowed me to join in. I have also seen others join in because they had some skills to offer that helped everyone. This group is free.

I guess what I am saying is a repeat of what I have said before. For myself, it is the quality of the people that you are training with rather than a specific style.

What region are you moving to?

[This message has been edited by Troll Under the Bridge (edited April 16, 2002).]
Stryke

Grappling art for me ?

Post by Stryke »

Im moving to London , change of countrys , so its going to be a big move , Im pretty sure theres going to be little of everything over there , Thanks for the reply , i couldnt agree more about the people are whats important , I guess every art has something to offer and it in the end comes down to how its taught .

Stryke
Troll Under the Bridge

Grappling art for me ?

Post by Troll Under the Bridge »

Wow, quite a move. Good luck with your search.
Ed
mikemurphy

Grappling art for me ?

Post by mikemurphy »

Stryke,

Lots of good Uechi in England :-)

But seriously, go and try a few places out and interview the instructor. Find out what is right for you.

Good Luck on the move!

mike
Stryke

Grappling art for me ?

Post by Stryke »

Im deffinately checking out the Uechi clubs over there , is one of the things on the top of my list Image

thanks for the good wishes

am sure its going to be quite an experience
Jake Steinmann

Grappling art for me ?

Post by Jake Steinmann »

Lots of good Judo in England too.

Geoff Thompson is based somewhere in England, and has a great rep as a self-defense instructor.

There are also a couple of PDR affiliates out there. You could contact TCMS about their locations.

------------------
Jake Steinmann
PDR Team
www.tonyblauer.com
Van Canna

Grappling art for me ?

Post by Van Canna »

Stryke,

Best of luck, pal. London is a great city.
Hope you will continue to post here. We all love you. Image

------------------
Van Canna

[This message has been edited by Van Canna (edited April 18, 2002).]
Stryke

Grappling art for me ?

Post by Stryke »

Thanks for the ideas , and the support , Ill deffinately keep up with the forums , while i feel that sometimes I have very little to add, the ideas and attitude of the forumites is truly astounding Image

Ive always had a serious travel bug , and have no doubt that someday ill get to meet some of you folks and do some training perhaps .

All the best

Stryke
Van Canna

Grappling art for me ?

Post by Van Canna »

Stryke,

We would love to see you at our Summer camps. Image

------------------
Van Canna
Van Canna

Grappling art for me ?

Post by Van Canna »

And you have lots to add to the discussions, more than you think. Image

------------------
Van Canna
KingCrimson

Grappling art for me ?

Post by KingCrimson »

Hello everyone, this is my first post so i'll make it good. If you want to try brazilian jiu-jutsu, in london, your in luck!! The first school in the UK recently opened there. Good luck with your move and training and also in life. Image

------------------
I'll make you TAP!!
the Khazar Kid

Grappling art for me ?

Post by the Khazar Kid »

The English also have their own traditional wrestling and grappling arts, which are still practiced! Catch-as-Catch-Can (all-in submission holds style on the ground very few rules) from Lancashire, Collar-and-Yoke from Cornwall and Devonshire, Backhold from Cumberland and Scotland.

Catch-as-Catch-Can or Catchwrestling has been popularized in the United States in recent years by Matt Furey and Tony Cecchine. The most famous school of Catchwrestling was the Billy Riley Gym in Wigan, called the "Snake Pit".
www.the-exiles.org/essay/histwreseng.htm

CATCH:
www.combatwrestling.com/
www.catchwrestle.com/

BACKHOLD:
www.wrestle.co.uk/
www.geocities.com/cinaet/walker.html

CORNISH STYLE:
www.geocities.com/cinaet/walker2.html
www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/4933/westernartsparkyns.html
www.the-exiles.org/cornish.htm
www.ejmas.com/jwma/jwmaart_roberts_0400.htm