Traditional Training, Or Cult...?

This is Dave Young's Forum.
Can you really bridge the gap between reality and training? Between traditional karate and real world encounters? Absolutely, we will address in this forum why this transition is necessary and critical for survival, and provide suggestions on how to do this correctly. So come in and feel welcomed, but leave your egos at the door!
david

Post by david »

I post this link because I think it really raises a lot of questions about how we think of our practices. Realize that JAK will not be here to defend his piece, but it's certainly a starting point for an thoughtful look/discussion of what we may take for granted/given:

http://advantxpression2.homestead.com/AdvantXpression2.html

For the record, I happen to agree with JAK's perspective about "traditional" (at least how most people define it as "authentic.") It didn't mean a thing to me and had no relevance if I can't make it work for me. Conversely, if it worked for me, call it what you want but its mine. I was never able to articulate this perspective, in the past, and have simply went along in my own way. It's nice to know others see and do the same, though their "products" may be different.

I believe "mastery" isn't anything but a undaunted commitment to an internal process of finding one's own truth.

david
Jake Steinmann

Post by Jake Steinmann »

I like it, but I doubt that's going to come as a great surprise to anyone.

Actually, it gives me some thinking to do about my own past training and such...things I'd abandoned, and things I've kept on with.

In any case: The short answer is, I agree with JAK. Quite a bit. How anyone will ever determine the "authenticity" of an art is beyond me.

Actually, the whole "older is better" theory that is prevelant in many martial arts circles mystifies me too. Yes, a Model T is the original car, but I like my Geo Prizim, thank you! (You're welcome to question how much of an improvement my Geo really is...:-D)

As for mastery? I personally find it a wholly useless concept. No of the great "masters" ever referred to themselves as such. Until I can get a concrete definition for what consitutes a master, I fail to see the purpose in seeking it...

------------------
Jake Steinmann
PDR Team
www.tonyblauer.com

Return to “Realist Training”