Anyone Done Hyperthreading

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

s f b

Anyone Done Hyperthreading

Post by s f b »

I wonder if anyone has gotten into Hyperthreading yet? It's riding on the next wave and looks quite promising.
Allen Moulton at Uechi-ryu Etcetera loves email at uechi@ixpres.com
gmattson
Site Admin

Sounds interesting

Post by gmattson »

Please tell us a little about hyperthreading Al. Technology changes so fast, impossible to keep up.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Deep Sea

Getting Faster

Post by Deep Sea »

With only one reply and one like that, George, I could be the only one in these forums pushing the envelope on that one. :roll:

The newer Intel chips have what’s called Hyper threading. In a nutshell, the new Intel CPU thinks it is two CPUs and acts accordingly. Even if the applications are written for a single CPU’ed computer the chip provides up to a 30% gain in speed. Good for when one is burning a DVD and wants to simultaneously do some other work as well. Fact, real good.

There’s quite a bit more to it though, and c/net carries a good article: http://news.com.com/2100-1001-272255.html on hyperthreading.
Always with an even keel.
-- Allen
gmattson
Site Admin

Thanks for the info Al

Post by gmattson »

I'm burning lots of DVDs now and this new chip might be in my Christmas stocking.
GEM
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

You can rock and roll on that with a 3.0GHz Pentium 4 and a P4PE ASUS motherboard, but it'll cost, GEM.
-- Allen
Deep Sea

RECAP

Post by Deep Sea »

Recap, George!!!

If one uses a video capture card to burn DVDs then a decent Pentium 4 should loaf along and memory should be being used conservatively. I don't know your setup, but next time you burn a DVD, bring up the task manager and watch how your system resources are being utilized.
-- Allen
gmattson
Site Admin

dvd

Post by gmattson »

I've taken the position that my computer is doing too many tasks right now. Whenever possible, I try to simplify computer tasking.

Therefore, instead of buying all the new computer toys, I invested in a stand-alone DVD burner and player.

I've had too many experiences where something gets screwed up on my computer and essentially, find myself "out of business"!

I'm setting up an older (but good) second computer to do my video editing. (Do you happen to have an old monitor??) I gave all my equipment away and now find myself a little short in the monitor department! :x
GEM
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

Good position to take on abstaining from additional toys, especially with the economy on hold, waiting for someone to pull out the plug and spiral it dow even further.

Your second and third paragraphs strike a harmonious chord with me because they contain the essence of what I have recently done -- and am still doing -- in my "copious" spare time, and that is delegate CPU intensive tasks across separate machines plus spread internet access across multiple machines as well. Life was so simple and responsible-free in the days when all one needed was a word processor, a spreadsheet, and a simple modem conection to the world. Nowadays you not only have to defend youself from viruses but from unfavorable interactions of your own software as well. Plus with making videos, it's good to kick-off a video project on one machine and forget it while you go on and do your "human-intensive" work on another machine without fear that an inadvertant reboot due to software conflicts.

ASIDE: Remember Boch's ads last year in the Herald when he opened the Honda dealership right next to the Toyota dealerhip in the Norwood area and wrote full-page ads with humungous caracitures of the managers of each dealership duelling each other with swords???. Just like friendly software -- until one wants to rule.

Out of the recombination of old parts plus a few new ones, I have several boxes of spare parts left over. I still have several main items I don't know what to do with:
  • A nice working AMD 1100+ computer, complete
  • An Optra R+ laser printer (industrial quality)
  • A 17" CRT monitor.
  • A Compaq laptop with a DVD drive, internet connections, etc.
I seem to remember not yet making good on the promise I made to you concerning summer camp, so if you are interested in the monitor this could be my golden opportunity to square-up. All it needs is a damp washcloth to remove the dust and a computer to plug it into.
-- Allen
gmattson
Site Admin

"Such a deal"

Post by gmattson »

8)

Thanks Al. Let me know if you are going to class tonight. I'll meet you there to pick it up.

Again..... Thanks.
GEM
Gene DeMambro

Post by Gene DeMambro »

GEM-Sensei,

Could you explain a bit more about your DVD-Burning set-up?

What equipment do you use? What speed computer? How much memory? What type of video card? What brand DVD burner? And how is it all connected?

I'd like to t-fer my videos to DVD (or at least MPEG movies) and I'm looking for the best ideas on how to do it!

Gracias,
Gene
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

Read my response of November 14 to your last query on your post DVD players for Older Computers, Gene. Start up another post and maybe you can get someone in the know to help you out.
-- Allen
gmattson
Site Admin

and read my earlier post Gene

Post by gmattson »

I've decided not to use my computer to transfer tapes to dvd.
GEM
Gene DeMambro

Post by Gene DeMambro »

Thank you both for your answers.

I think I'm going to try to burn DVD's with my computer.

Gene
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

Technology advances like the incoming tide. It seems that Hyperthreading is the coming thing, and as I read a little more about it, it gets more and more interesting. I clipped out a cyber-article about Hyperthreading I'd like to share with y'all, and it' on the Virtual Zone.

http://www.vr-zone.com/

Here's the 12-page report:

http://www.vr-zone.com/reviews/Intel/P43060/
-- Allen

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”