Tekko

This is Dave Young's Forum.
Can you really bridge the gap between reality and training? Between traditional karate and real world encounters? Absolutely, we will address in this forum why this transition is necessary and critical for survival, and provide suggestions on how to do this correctly. So come in and feel welcomed, but leave your egos at the door!
Karateka

Tekko

Post by Karateka »

Are they legal?

Post by Guest »

I believe most police forces would consider them brass knuckles. Knuckle dusters are ilegal in Canada. I'd check with the local police before getting a pair.

Laird
Karateka

Post by Karateka »

:oops:
Alan K

Tekko

Post by Alan K »

I am not sure what "tekko" look like.

Ugly Elk seemed to classify it as a type of "brass knuckle".

If this is correct, most states including, Massachusetts and Canada would classify it as a dangerous weapon, the use of which is a felony.

At Summer Camp a few years ago I saw an instructor use a weapon which was adapted from an Okinawan fishing net grasp.

I have a pair of these which I had then purchased. It is nothing more than a fist wide wooden dowel with cone tapered ends and two loops of thin rope and could be employed as a pressure point stick or in the manner of brass knuckles, or a roll of dimes within the fist. The Okinawan name escapes me.

Because of its simplicity and ambiguous implementation, I do not believe that it is by classified definition, a dangerous weapon.

Rather, I believe that it would be catagorized like a no. 2 pencil, and not be dangerous unless employed by the user as a dangeorus weapon.

Alan K
"The Goddess of Justice is Blind"
LeeDarrow

Post by LeeDarrow »

Are you referring to "tekagi?" The Ninja iron claws, used for wall scaling and parrying swords?

My bet would be that they are considered weapons, but check with your local and State police, just to be sure.

Respectfully,

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.

Post by Guest »

Karateka

Post by Karateka »

Alan K

Chizi Kun Bo

Post by Alan K »

Karateka's internet post concerning the display of tekko contained a statement that tekko were related to Chizi Kun Bo.

I mentioned this weapon by description because I had forgotten the name.

At GEM's Summer camp a few years ago, a guest instructor who was a world traveler, and had his following, conducted seminars. He had lived in Okinawa for years and was fascinated with Uechi's similarities with White Crane, which was his style.

He taught a kata using the Chizi Kun Bo, which, as I mentioned in my previous post was a simple weapon consisting of a wooden dowel about one half inch thick, fist wide, with cone tapered endings and a couple of rope loops for finger clenching.

The sensei explained that this weapon was derived from fishing net grasping instruments used to pull up and retrieve fishing nets.

Always remember, that if an instrument is not bey name category or description, one of a prescribed units as a dangerous weapon, this does not preclude the intended use of the same as a dangerous weapon.

The same could be said about a No. 2 pencil when used to attack a person.

Tekko are weapons per se, but a chop stick can be employed as a deadly weapon.

Alan K
"The Goddess of Justice is Blind"
Don Rearic

Post by Don Rearic »

Here is an article I wrote on brass knuckles and other weapons, including the Tekko with live links at the end to other articles I have written with regard to fistloads, Koppo sticks and Yawara sticks. Enjoy.

http://www.donrearic.com/brassknuckles.html
Stultorum infinitus est numerus

Return to “Realist Training”