Website down this morning???

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

gmattson
Site Admin

Website down this morning???

Post by gmattson »

Just wondering if anyone else experience a blackout for our site. Over the years I've used Verizon DSL, I've noticed that certain sites can't be accessed for no apparent reason.

Just wondering if anyone else had this problem.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

No problem here George.
Van
Tony-San

Post by Tony-San »

could not ping the site from home, work or from any of the various network services on the net. There was definatley a problem.
Jackie Olsen

Post by Jackie Olsen »

Couldn't access until 1:00 pm today.

Jackie
gmattson
Site Admin

Post by gmattson »

Tony or Scott might be able to explain what happens when certain areas of the country are blacked-out. I used to blame my server, even when they explained it was a problem with Verizon. Apparently the site remained up, since some people were able to log on and view the site.

I was able to ftp to the server, which means that even though I could not see the site with my browser, it was somewhere "out there". Does anyone know what really is happening?
GEM
Tony-San

Post by Tony-San »

If you could FTP to the site where your files for the website and forum where but not browse, then the machine which is utilized as a webserver was not working. there may have been a DNS problem. not sure.
gmattson
Site Admin

Problem solved... In this particular situation

Post by gmattson »

Ted emailed me this afternoon and said the site was down for about an hour.
GEM
Ted Suzman
Site Admin

Post by Ted Suzman »

Tony-San wrote:could not ping the site from home, work or from any of the various network services on the net. There was definatley a problem.
No one can ping the site, even when it's up (I've installed a firewall that disables pinging for security reasons).
suede

Post by suede »

what is ping
Ted Suzman
Site Admin

Post by Ted Suzman »

suede wrote:what is ping
'ping' is a tool on your computer. It can be used to see if a server is working. The ping program will send a request to the server, and (usually) the server sends a reply. You can see for yourself:

If you have windows 98/95/ME, press the start button and click 'run.' A box should pop up. Inside the box, type "command" and press <ENTER>. A mostly-black window should pop up. Type "ping google.com" and press <ENTER>.

If you have windows nt/2k/xp, do the same as above, except type "cmd" into the run box instead of "command"
suede

Post by suede »

thanks ted :)

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”