Norton upgrade

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Van Canna

Norton upgrade

Post by Van Canna »

http://nct.symantecstore.com/0001/saveon_npf2003.html

I have Norton antivirus protection on my PC. Also have zone alarm as the firewall.

I am being prompted for renewal by Norton [ expires 2/7]

is the above a good choice for both virus pretection and firewall?

If yes..and I buy that, do i need to delete zone alarm?

what do you guys recommend [ Tony, Scott]?

Thank you.
Van

Post by Guest »

Hey Van.. Norton is good. If you've been using it for this long and havn't had any problems, i'd stay with it. Their firewall is ok also but it might be a bit trickier to setup then zone alarm. Zone Alarm is a great firewall but what really sets it apart from others is it's ease of use.

FYI:
Alot of folks who geek out on computer security like the PC-Cillin / Zone Alarm Pro combonation. I personally use AVG / Tiny Personal (both functional and free but not always user friendly).
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Tony,

Thank you. So how do I buy just a regular upgrade of what I have? It's confusing me.
Van
Gene DeMambro

Post by Gene DeMambro »

Van-Sensei

Here's the page from the Symanyec website on How to renew your subscription services. Apparently, it is all done through LiveUpdate when you update your virus definitions.

Gene
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Thanks.

But what is the best way to go? What choices are best?
Van

Post by Guest »

I would say go ahead and stick with Norton Van. Get their firewall too as it works seamlessly with it's own AV software. you can uninstall Zone Alarm. I've heard nightmares from people who have uninstalled Norton. It uses an alias in your outlook settings and points to it's own mail server. This is their method for catching naughty attachments. it works but i've read about problems with the Norton uninstall feature restoring the old settings. Best to follow the rule "if it aint' broke, dont fix it".

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”