Wheres the Jujitsu in the Northeast?

Reopened!!! The jujitsu forum will focus on traditional and non-traditional Jujitsu/grappling arts.
f.Channell

Wheres the Jujitsu in the Northeast?

Post by f.Channell »

I've been looking around some Jujitsu websites and there seems to be a shortage of traditional Japanese Jujitsu schools in New England. There has to be at least 10-20 ryu still in existence in Japan (probably more), why haven't many made their way here?

Mike,
Are you the only school in Massachusetts? There seems to be some Aikido but wheres the Jujitsu. There is a lot of grappling going on, but I'm wondering where those centuries old traditional ryu are hiding.
F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
mikemurphy

where are the schools

Post by mikemurphy »

Fred,

I think the problem is that many of the old "ryu" have faded away. That's one of the reasons why Nihon Jujistu (style) was created by Shiyuza Sato sensei (to save the important techniques before they are forgotten). Anyway, other than Daito-ryu Jujitsu, I haven't seen much in the Northeast for traditional stuff. Of course, BBJ has hit it big, and you have Small Circle and Aikido, but traditional stuff is tough around here.

cya,

mike
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

I knew it was fading back in Kano Sensei's time but I thought it may have survived and be growing now.
Talk about a loss, Jujitsu incorporates everything from empty hand to weapons, disarming knives and swords, tying up your enemies in rope so they can't escape. Maybe the curriculum is too broad, Most of those systems have well over a 100 techniques.
F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
Panther

Post by Panther »

Murphy-Sensei,

There is a small contingent of Hakko-ryu stylists in Massachusetts. One school operating, but Shihan/Soke Larry Garron doesn't teach publicly anymore. Only to his private students.
mikemurphy

jujitsu

Post by mikemurphy »

Panther,

thanks for the info. Where does Sensei Garron teach?

mike
Halford

Peter Freedman teaches Ketsugo style jiu-jitsu in Weare,NH

Post by Halford »

Besides the groups previously mentioned in this forum topic,the group(s) taught by Peter Freedman,formerly of Boston, are still going. I think Peter goes to Boston and teaches. He also teaches arnis,etc. He lives in Weare,NH. He has a website but I don't have the address for it here to give out now. KBy the way, Larry Garron, if I am not mistaken, used to consider himself a practitioner of Arnis Lanada, either under George Brewster or Mat Marinas, but am not sure. I know he used to have a website somewhere, I saw years ago. Anyway, good luck with your search for traditional/classical jiu-jitsu in New England! Maybe some aikido is better than no aikido? Halford :D

Return to “Jujitsu/Grappling Arts”