Whats Happening at camp this year...

Here's the place to offer suggestions for future SummerFests & WinterFests, talk about past events, post pictures and videos or share experiences from past Fests.

Moderator: gmattson

gmattson
Site Admin

Whats Happening at camp this year...

Post by gmattson »

Hi George:

How are things going, I heard that the Tournament went really well. One of my female students took first place in womens black belt forms. It was her first tournament, she had been working real hard for years and finally mustered up the courage to enter. I hope it won't be her last tournament.

The Kumite that I would like to teach at your Summer Fest is Yakosuko Kumite. The Kumite consists of all the Uechi fundamentals and advanced techniques. Blocking and distancing stances are emphasized along with chambering and flow of technique. Jack and I just finished a 3 day camp and seminar on Florida's west coast where we taught Yakosuko Kumite amongst other things. Jack and I are looking forward to Summer Fest. If you have the time and space I would like to teach a morning and afternoon class on Friday and Saturday. Also, I have been asked by some of the expected attendees if it would be possible for me to teach a class on San Sei Ryu Bunkai. This Bunkai is also something that I teach and practice with my Florida associates. If you don't think there is enough time for this maybe it would be possible for me to take the half dozen or so that have asked and do it during lunch time or break time. Thanks for your consideration.

I spoke with Jay this week and advised that I have about 7+ mid range black belts that are eager to practice refereeing and to become certified. Jay has forwarded the necessary info to me and we will be starting training this week.

I will be forwarding my registration form this week, look forward to seeing you and all at Summer Fest. Take care.

Jon Cierri
Last edited by gmattson on Thu Aug 14, 2003 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gmattson
Site Admin

Wes Tasker will be with us. . .

Post by gmattson »

**Wes Tasker will be teaching a sampling of Pekiti-Tirsia Kali stickwork and related footwork, and will bring enough sticks for students' use during his classes (which they may purchase for a nominal fee if they wish). Wes is ranked as a Mataas na Guro (which means he has completed and been tested on the entire system) under Tuhon Guro William McGrath who in turn received his title under the system's familial heir Tuhon Leo Tortal Gaje.**
Steve

IUKF Passport Question

Post by Steve »

GEM Sensei - if I bring my IUKF passport to summer camp, will the session presenters sign it after each session? If so, this is a HUGE opportunity to build up credentials - possibly 12 hours or more of documented extra training. Please advise......
gmattson
Site Admin

The three days count as one session

Post by gmattson »

Sorry Steve. . . Get any one of the seminar presenters to sign your book.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
gmattson
Site Admin

Good News! Walter Mattson will be attending. . .

Post by gmattson »

Not only will he be on the "hot seat" under the tent for an hour, but he will be teaching a two part seisan bunkai seminars. Great teacher, wonderful person, so-so golfer :)
GEM
gmattson
Site Admin

Darin Yee to teach. .

Post by gmattson »

Darin is a master Uechi-ryu teacher in addition to having over 35 years kungfu experience with the top Sifu in China. Darin will be teaching drills and exercises from his kunfu and Uechi training. In addition, Darin will be taking an hour under the tent for questions and discussion pertaining to his China experiences. Don't miss this!!!

Darin is also coordinating the golf tournament being held Thursday afternoon (Aug 7th) E-mail Darinyee@hotmail.com if you can get a foursome together or if you wish to play with a group we will be puting together.
GEM
gmattson
Site Admin

California Shoheiryu teachers. . .

Post by gmattson »

Will be helping out this year for the first time. Check the schedule!!!! Steve Goss is one of the best kumite competitors ever turned out in the Uechi system. Don't miss his seminars.

Henry Thom and other seniors from California will also be sharing their experiences and talent with the group. I'll let them jump in here to add anything they wish to say.
GEM
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Question is , will the infamous Dr. X _be there? :lol:
Van
gmattson
Site Admin

Hmmmm...

Post by gmattson »

Dr. "X".

I just tell him we have his favorite cigar and scotch and he'll show up! :)
GEM
gmattson
Site Admin

George Donahue will be teaching!

Post by gmattson »

Good news! George Donahue will be with us all day Saturday. More information will be posted soon.
GEM
gmattson
Site Admin

Donahue Sensei replies

Post by gmattson »

How about one hour on koshi and one hour on karamiti, with a slack hour in between? The koshi would be shorin style and I could emphasize how to use koshi to augment power and speed. We could call that session "Koshi for power, speed, and lethal beauty." Karamiti would be Kishaba style, in which it's not just grappling but the art of failing well (how to turn an unsuccessful block or other technique back to your advantage). In fact, you could call the session "Karamiti, the art of failure."
GEM
gdonahue

Post by gdonahue »

Although I no longer work at Tuttle Publishing, I'm signing up a few martial arts books at the Lyons Press, where I'm concentrating more on fiction, military history, and business books. If anyone wants to talk to me about publishing during a slack time in camp, don't hesitate.

Books I'm looking for at Lyons have to have a broad appeal, rather than too narrow a focus. However, if you have a specialized book that you want to submit to other publishers, I'd be happy to give you some feedback to make your task a little easier.

I'm looking forward to working out and chatting.
George Donahue
Nana korobi, ya oki.
Gene DeMambro

Post by Gene DeMambro »

Mr. Donahue,

Will you be around for the award ceremony, the Dan tsting and the party on Saturday? I would be were glad to finally get a chance to meet you on Sat. evening?

Gene
gdonahue

Saturday evening

Post by gdonahue »

I hadn't considered staying into the evening, as I have to be in my office early Sunday morning, but I'll think about it. It would be fun to have the chance to meet people, particularly those with whom I've had email correspondences for years without ever meeting face to face.
George Donahue
Nana korobi, ya oki.

Return to “Fests_News”