Thoughts

A forum dedicated to the creative expressions, inspirations, hopes and dreams of fellow Karateka.
maxwell ainley

Thoughts

Post by maxwell ainley »

Jackie, thank you for letting me carry on first of all ,I have tried to express in a manner that does justice to these experiences ,when I attacked the self ,I hope no one took offence ,and I would have loved to exchange thoughts with more practioners on subject .
I have tried to bring the enlightenment topic more into the open ,such as how it can be acheived ,not to say thats the only way though .
Also I hope you can see that no attempt by me as been made to turn it in to a cult like thing ,over my years of practice ,I have kept private ,and no attempt is made to make my student 's against their will ,and freedom do what I speak about .
I have tried though to describe what a practioner might come across ,sort of discover etc.if any of whats been said helps ,so be it .
As we can see in my training there is a obvious reason for training and running along side ,or underlying another purpose .
For this subject I have brought the underlying into the highlight position ,a sort of reverse effect ,some one could have read what was said and thought ,well I only see the combat side etc ,but they would have missed the point ,I could have instead highlighted the combat side of repetitions ,and left the underlying were it normally is ,dormant .
But I wanted to bring the dormant or underlying into the open ,show by any which way is possible ,the reverse side of training as it applys to uechi-ryu ,and Sanchin .
Also the battles of sanchin are on the upper side of training ,and on the underlying side ,I was trying to point out the effects of training may not be even touching the reverse side .

max.
max ainley
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

Jackie, your 9 step cycle of learning/re-learning is also interesting .Do you keep strict tabs on the cycle? or sort of go with the flow of it ?
Do you find the re-learning stimulates you ,or makes you discover something afresh ? or some times re-learning offers rather small dividends for your input ?.

As we move towards the enlightenment part of training form is important ,this helps to hold our attention ,form should be linked to attention .Jackie I always kept a watch on my attention ,what I am really saying is I paid close special attention to form .
I more or less did not understand the in's and outs of attention at first but who will ,we have to start somewere ?
This attention we have built that becomes part and parcel of our training makeup ,once it merges with the experience of enlightnment ,it falls away .Its task at that point as been reached it melts into the experience ,the attention was of the lower self ,a different type of attention now takes over ,non other than the attention of the enlightened state ,this attention is of a totally different level alltogether ,again its a dormant attention within us . That needs lower level attention to help awaken it .

max.
max ainley
Jackie Olsen

Post by Jackie Olsen »

Thanks, Max ...

That cycle is something I'm always aware of and as you say, usually go with the flow rather than concentrate what step I'm at. It is related to a teaching that energy goes in waver 9 times out before returning on itself again.

Attention to me is step one -- the Focus ... so it is a place we always return to .

Jackie
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

A characteristic of the enlightened state is subject and object merge ,Rick on the rooting thread brings in another introduction to rooting and internal work for practioners .
Now these aspects of sanchin offer lines of travel toward better more evolved states ,sensory and feeling .

In the enlightened state ;there is a merging ,a new connection between our apprehension of the in coming data from the earth and atmosphere ,we truly connect ,and this is a body/mind spirit /sensory /feeling .
We vibrate in tune with things there is no interferance ,the dulistic nature vanish's ,we merge a totally different view is presented .

max.
max ainley
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

In the experience of enlightenment our dulistic ways vanish ,we are as one .
I said in the build up step three main aspects eventually come together; wills [mind body emotion] while in this build up state you would find the attention is within the three a special focus ,on the subject sanchin .
Also this state would be overspilling into daily activities ,whatever they may be ,on a day to day basis .
At the moment of enlightenment ,all that these three are in intensity unite behind the question .

max.
max ainley
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

Over the years I searched my memory for the real start to the build up state, well it goes back to childhood ,the seed of it .The next part that added a certain intensity to my step, was coming into contact with sanchin. In all honesty it could be said nothing else suited me ,I was not a great reader ,apart from the odd karate mag ,I always seemed to steer toward practical out door activities .
What bit I did read headed me sanchins way ,on coming into contact with sanchin I naturally steered towards the practical side of things ,such as make it work ,learn it etc at all costs .
I knew nothing at all about concentration or meditation ,but this would change ,as the build up progressed ,I say this because I did not realise there was such a thing as a build up at that specific time ,this is one reason I now say in these areas uechi-ryu says come on then find it ,well I was on the find it path .
And nothing but sanchin suited me ,no other method would have suited .Notes I kept show all I talked of was sanchin , I totally would not get involved with anything else in any shape or form ,this caused quite a few people to try to stop me in uechi-ryu ,forces at work .
But fortunetly some let me get on with things ,as the build up increases ,notes show I had less and less to say ,but more and more to do ,for instance out in the streets or fields when meeting martial artists ,they would try to find out what I was on with in sanchin ,but I would offer nothing and turn the talk , and make a exit .

max.
max ainley
gmattson
Site Admin

Thanks for your interesting posts Maxwell

Post by gmattson »

Always nice to see posts regarding the more spiritual side of what we do.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

Thanks Gem sensei,

Its a pleasure to post on subject ,same as Rick said to openly disscuss these aspects of our ryu ,and various other experience's that cross ref ; with our's ,on a public forum ,when we may be sort of embarrassed in front of the uechi world .

I wanted to come up front ,express in various ways these experiences free of quotes ,using my own way or choice of description that can't really escape other traditional terms in its entirety .
All I said comes from my own understandings on subject ,which continue unabaited ,just like others.
As you know ,uechi students don't have to subscribe to the more spiritual aspects at all ,I may come over in some respects maybe too enthusiastic on things spiritual ,but if any one looks back over my posts they will see a balance of sorts between the three ;mind body spirit ,I also do not even pretended to be a writer ,my posts show or are littered with silly mistakes ,a kid could do better in lots of ways ,on the other hand I have tried to tidy up .
Any way Gem sensei If you find the posts interesting ,and you are the father of uechi in the west ,that says a lot .

max.
max ainley
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

I am attempting to give as clear a picture of the build up ,this involves what made me tick at that time ,such as I was moderatly verbal ,and could be pretty easy going ,would defend my self if needed ,Had a high regard for wado-ryu understood it to black belt level ,but abandoned it for sanchin .
I said concentration and meditation were alien ,but could feel some thing on the build in sanchin progress ,this is why I say ,sanchin is designed as a system of various experiences ,to me those early experiences did not make words ,years later I realised ex amount of experience was a page with words ,the word that surrounds me and filled pages was "concentration" I was in concentration build up mode ,to keen observers who read me mostly old timers .they pointed out strain .

So my some times easy going etc way was under strain ,and I could feel it increase its grip ,a bit like being in a suit of armour ,this grip came in by fractions tightening its hold .it never left me ,it was there I quietened off in keeping ,big changes were on the move ,my whole presence was undergoing change .

max.
max ainley
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

The build up state, is I feel and most of all the most important state. If asked why ,I could say well everthing is important ,but without the build up to it ,wether of a long duration or shorter , there would be no real enlightenment ,now you cant stack flashes of enlightenment against it ,allthough again they are important too .
Without going through the build up state ,I would not be here posting on these subjects ,and this is why I have returned to this step adding to knowledge of the state ,and true to sanchin this state is within sanchin and ourselves .

The physical work involved needs to be relentless ,pussy footing is useless ,attitude,s like take it easy are detremental ,attitudes like I will miss today are useless ,why some one could ask ? quite simply the build up would diffuse lose its building power ,such as some idiot throwing answers into the build up could also destroy its purpose ,the situation needs to brew up ,out side cross influence should be avoided like the plague ,only one influence is required in uechi-ryu and thats sanchin nothing else is required at this critical build up ,thought must be applied to this mix ,the very best you possess ,talk at this stage is useless ,the best advice is stand firm ,no retreat ,
this does not mean you are stood there .
Any one who says at this point" relax "is totally ignorant of what is underway .
This is the major battle front ,you cant relax your attention ,the soldier would identify on guard duty ,with the enemy just over that hill ,this a keyed up state .

This state is in sanchin ,all is in sanchin .

max.
max ainley
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

What I am attempting to do ,show etc is how critical and important this state actually is ,also like other states it will pass ,vanish .
Now the thought that accompanys this as to be top quality for that state ,this thought will be totally different to any other we will pass into ,only one criterea is required its ours .now this thought will be enveloped in a focus of nothing but sanchin ,every thing I said in the last post ,was not really a threat or competition to how others go about things , but rather a another attempt at just how critical that specific state is ,and things that are usually okay in other states are totally just not wanted for this state .
I re-discovered this state in sanchin ,and have put considerable effort into further understanding of it .

max.
max ainley
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

So this build up isnt a average run of the mill type of state ,and it needs this differance ,quite simply the deeper this state is the deeper the enlightenment will be ,intensity of thought can be the differance that makes this state breakthrough into the next state ,the enlightened state .
The very best intensiveness of thought we have at our disposal will reach that breakthrough .
So the build up to be true to its name ,as to cross swords with sanchin to stay on course ,to stay requires a strain on every fibre a man or woman possess ,this isnt for the faint hearted .
every negative known will try to come between ,the build up and the breakthrough ,this is were the character of the man or woman will either crumble under the assault or stand fast and face what sanchin imposes upon these unruly inner forces .

max.
max ainley
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

All the thought ,the daft one's ,fantasy one's ,hate ones ,love ones ,irritable ones ,idle one's one upmanship one's ,totally selfish one's violent one's self pity one's ,revenge one's funny one's joy full one's ,helpfull one's unhelpfull one's superior one's greedy one's sexual one's logical one's .These just make up a few ,we can find many more ?
All this must reach one thought ,no matter what methods are used they will have to arrive at this point ,either sooner or later ,in other words to breakthrough into enlightenment "one thought"must be reached this is a universal law .
In the build up a steady momentum within sanchins conflicts gathers all these thoughts and roll's or coils them into one thought which breaks through explosively .

max.
max ainley
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

All is in sanchin.

Now enlightenment lies dormant behind a massive gate that's guarded day and night ,by all the specific thoughts mentioned ,plus more .
Sanchin practice done with a knowledge of these , that may be feeble at first ,can gather a build up a momentum ,that on its travel gets rid of all the forces that stand in the way of "one thought".

max.
max ainley
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

The driving force, that is behind this buildup is non other than the will ,sanchin training ,nothing but sanchin will do this .
A early thought on this matter shows this was present ;sanchin will do it .
Thats one side of the equation ,the other is bringing the wills in to one driving force that provides equal an sustained momentum to what sanchin can offer ,the will of the body and will of the mind must unite ,two great armies come together for the first time to face a enemy that is hydra like ,the most cunning of foe's.
These two great armies will strain to the limits of endurance and beyond ordinary effort to get past this foe

ordinary exercise will not work here ,special exercises such as sanchin have been handed down to us ,but they two must be worked in simple yet special ways ,or else they too will fail .
Never a day passes when all of a work out is not devoted to sanchin ,even now for some one .

max.
max ainley

Return to “Creative Heart & Soul Forum”