Question to the Moderator on Announcements and Stickies

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

I have noticed that some Announcement and Sticky tags stay up long after an advertised date of an event or such has passed. Is there a way to automatically have the post revert to a standard regular post after a certain amount of time has passed, say 30 days OR even better allow the poster to incorporate his own time of disolvement such that he no longer has to keep track of where and what he posted.

RSVP.
Last edited by Deep Sea on Sun Aug 24, 2003 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always with an even keel.
-- Allen
gmattson
Site Admin

An easy way

Post by gmattson »

The author of the post "edits" his/her post and click "normal". This takes the post off the announcement position.

Moderators should be able to do this as well.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

Right, George.

But do you think there may be instances where a post could go from sticky or announcement back to regular after a specified period of time, say 30 or 45 days, or some predetermined time?

I think the application of that idea could be an improvement for these forums.

BTW, George, whatever happened to the nice little spell-checker we once had?
-- Allen
gmattson
Site Admin

I miss the spellchecker too..

Post by gmattson »

The company stopped supporting the forums on a free basis. Apparently the ad revenue wasn't sufficient to justify the service.

Moderators should watch the 'announcements' and 'normalize' them after a reasonable period of time. However, the poster should be willing to do this when the ad has run its course.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

Thanks for the dictionary info, George.

I am still thinking that there outta be a way for the program itself to extinguish the distinguished billboards without operator interaction, that's what I'm getting at.

I know how hard it is to remember everything, and I sure can't therefore I wrote an application which ferrets out stuff on my PC that needs to be backed up
-- Allen

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”