help!

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

gmattson
Site Admin

help!

Post by gmattson »

I just purchased an IBM ThinkPad 600E laptop. (used and refurbished)

It is a couple years old and originally came with a win98 operating system.

Anyway, I put win200 pro on it and this works fine. One of the reasons I got the laptop is so that I will be able to run live sessions on "Virtual Dojo" from remote locations.

Now to the problem: For some reason or other, the microphone won't work. I've done all the recommended checks and everything says the sound card is working fine.

When in Texas a couple weeks back I borrowed a friend's Dell laptop with 2000 installed. When I tried to use a microphone with that machine, it wouldn't work either! This leads me to believe there is something in 2000 that doesn't like the mic in an older machine.

Can anyone help????
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

Tried another mike yet?
Always with an even keel.
-- Allen
gmattson
Site Admin

Yes.

Post by gmattson »

I have two mikes, both work on my desktop. So that is not the problem Al.
GEM
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

I suspect the connector in the pc then. I'm not convinced that mike was plugging in correctly.

On the other hand, see if you can download even more drivers to try out.

There's not much else available from this end unless someone has been there before.
-- Allen
gmattson
Site Admin

microphone..

Post by gmattson »

The company that sold me the computer did a test (from DOS) and said the mikes worked fine. They are convinced that it is a win2000 problem and with the correct drivers, the system would work. I just haven't been able to find any drivers for it.

There is a BIOS upgrade from IBM for the Thinkpad 600E, but I haven't figured out how to perform the upgrade.
GEM
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

If they are convinced the issue is with W2K. George, My next question would be to ask if you loaded the service paks?
-- Allen
gmattson
Site Admin

Yep..

Post by gmattson »

All service packs loaded...

I'm beginning to think that the microphone connector is faulty. I can get sound out of the mike when the plug is half-way out of the connector. The people who sold me the machine swears he got sound out of it when he tested it with his diagnostic tools. (I haven't been able to locate any such tools)

He offered to switch my machine for another, but I like everything else about the thinkpad, so will keep playing with the sound card.

Thanks for all the advice Al.
GEM
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

I'm beginning to think that the microphone connector is faulty.
Good figuring. Trade it back in for something that works. Seems like anytime I keep something when given the opportunity to replace it, it always bites me in the ass later.
-- Allen
Kevin Mackie

Post by Kevin Mackie »

George, I'm in the market for a used laptop. Did you get yours locally and where?

Thanks,

Kevin

Post by Guest »

Just get a USB mic. theres a few of them out there.

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”