SANCHIN/SEISAN A PUZZEL

A forum dedicated to the creative expressions, inspirations, hopes and dreams of fellow Karateka.
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

Thanks Allen for your comments. For some server reason with B.T. in the U.K. failed to get on the site .

Allen I do devote lots of time to sanchin but I don't neglect seisan or sanseirui ,as you see all I have mentioned about sanchin ;such as singular focus etc , have been looked at ,worked digested ,untill it came out of the ears so to speak .Then given new directions that are seisan orientated ,this is further new development for singular focus ,along with divided attention .

Allen I still veiw sanchin as "primary" seisan reinforces it ,if sanchin is our " well" seisan can be likened as a new source or stream of new energy and new possibilites ,that connect with sanchin .
How they connect into this picture I have been building upon ,that is sanchin ,and nothing but sanchin is enlightening in its own right ,there are purposes to everything ,what I some how veiwed as obvious and simple ,with increased observation ,sweeping over the same subject thousands of times ,revealed new understanding allied to waking up .

This picture of sanchin looks at first to be a very narrow study ,there are reasons for this ,and I have tried to give a few .but once this new seisan is introduced into that very narrow field all hell breaks loose .

max.
max ainley
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

Imagine we only had sanchin ,how would you progress ? ,also unaided how would you extract sanchins content .
It becomes obvious that seisan is also a device to do this extracting ,but only if we are involved in a progressive awakening process .We can awaken to plenty of applications etc ,but thats not the complete picture ,seisan must create the conditions that extract from sanchin its content ,yet at the same time work the reverse side ,the underlying side of our makeup .
The puzzle principle to be correct must work all apects of man/woman .a puzzle aspect if seen takes us on a journey ,that more than likely would not come into existance when a puzzle method is absent .

max.
max ainley
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

I divide time to training between sanchin /seisan ;and obviously they can be worked in various ways ,that keep things progressing forewards.

I veiw a specific motion from seisan as a puzzle piece ,and once I pick that puzzle motion up I dont drop it until it connects back into sanchin ,this again is very concentrated study .My skill in singular focus developed in sanchin locks on to this motion and develops form .
My notes; some aspects of the motion will connect back to sanchin others prove more difficult ,at this point not concerned about application ,only form and spontaneous connections ,that are quickly seen out of sanchins wakefull state .
max.
max ainley
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

At the points mention we arn't really in full or much of search mode ,if sanchin were the inside of a shop window ,and we looked in to that window fragments what are seisan would be instantly seen and connected back to singular sanchin memory mode developed ,other elements would evade wakefullness at the time .
This gives in seed form a inclination how singular developed responces that are sanchin ;free of all admixture can instantly respond to threat in combat, no bottle necks apply of techniques attempting to reach instant use .

These are a few of the uses that singular sanchin mode projects forewards ,as time goes on I learn when singular is needed and just were it can be brought to task on various aspects of combat /puzzle work .

max.
max ainley
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

When teaching seisan the form I always work between sanchin and one sequence of seisan ,say on a two hr workout the first hr is all sanchin ,I dont ever do warm ups ,its just sanchin ; remember I want that singular mode to sanchin .the second hr is seisan /one move ,because of hard/soft control laid in sanchin ,the seisan move does not take too long for memorising superficially that is ,my objective is to spark the start of the puzzle connection .

As you will notice I dont rush in to anything ,I have said before when we rush we trample into the dust important information that could alter the course of research ,the one seisan movement acts very similar to a probe in respect of sanchins present state ,it fires up a new circuit ,within the very narrow field ,and because the field is ready a type of illumination is triggered in micro form between seisan one movement ,and sanchin .

I always inch my way in ,every feeling /breath/intuitive or other wise is recorded ,I intend to wake up the student within this first frame work ,it changes into a pattern ,but does my student see this pattern ,with out explaining its method .
At this point we need some discussion on all aspects of progress to date ,we can have if time permits a couple of hrs talk on sanchin .
A foundation talk .
1.why a foundation
2 why just sanchin and nothing else
3. grades or ranks .why we dont need them
4. direction of sanchin to wards seisan
5.a indepth disscussion on wake full repetition
6. understanding our interaction teacher /student
7. enlightenment.

max.
max ainley
Jackie Olsen

Post by Jackie Olsen »

Not many teachers in this day & age willing to take the time in teaching one movement of a form for an hour, let alone giving 2 hours of their time to talk with a student. Kudos to you, Max...

The foundation, I believe, is incredibly important to laying the pattern for change to occur. And it seems that a strong foundation in one discipline leads to 'jumps' in another.

I had the opportunity to be a guest speaker at a weekend and worked with students on learning Sanchin. I was amazed at how quickly they were able to learn the basic movements and remember because many of them had studied other styles (no black belts among them) or were students of other mental/spiritual pathways.

It appears that once the mind is patterned to be open to receive new stimuli, the learning takes place at a quicker rate.
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

Hi Jackie just composed a reply lost it ,its late so ,back later .
max.
max ainley
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

Hi Jackie ,

Thats the way I teach ,but its only the start of seisan and puzzle working ,it builds .
The whole process really deserves a series of books .

Your observations at your weekend teaching are very interesting ,such as a foundation links other paths etc, and there can be a speeding up in learning .

I attempted to show how just one move from seisan is a form of speeded up learning ,along with a ignition of a fresh circuit internally/externally .
back with more

max .
max ainley
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

Jackie at the point reached ; the intro of seisan into sanchin the one sequence ,there is definetly a speed up in learning .
But there are limitations ,again it always boils down to just how prepared we are with the foundation ,and our wakefullness within the framework .
This how I see it ,all my teaching directions steer directly towards a all-inclusive way of seeing /understanding if we can attain that state or at least strive towards it ,learning will take place on many fronts at once .

The puzzle principle can reach towards all-inclusiveness .
singular focus behind the puzzle allied to divided attention ,takes a step closer .
We think our learning is whole when in reality its only part or fragmented ,divided attention and singular focus will improve observation in the area most needed ,a reality veiw of just were we are in evolving .

max.
max ainley
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

First of all arn't readers getting fed up of listening to me ?

Anyway a bit more ,this is a big subject and we are at the tip of the iceberg.
Okay the way I teach isnt modern uechi at all ,a different older offering ,this is the way I wished to go ,and I hope you have enjoyed this perspective ,as I have learnt and enjoyed listening to others express uechi in there different understandings .

Not many really are interested in the way I have trained over the years ,roundabouts were I live .Periods of training have been lonely is a understatement ,but the few have kept it alive .THANKS
max.
max ainley
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

“First of all arn't readers getting fed up of listening to me ?”

Absolutely NOT.

I am impressed with your training and your approach. The depth at which you view your art is excellent and I am very glad you choose to share some of it with us.

I always tell my students: If this was easy my dojo would be full of people.
Jackie Olsen

Post by Jackie Olsen »

I agree with Rick, Max ...

There aren't many people that approach training as you do. This forum was never one for many topics or high responses. Rather, it was formed for the purpose of discussing 'whatever creative passion moved your soul.' And obviously Sanchin is something that strikes to the very core of your 'do' or way.

Some students are warriors ... some are priests ... and some are the warrior/priests ... continue to share as the spirit moves you.
CANDANeh

Post by CANDANeh »

hope you have enjoyed this perspective ,as I have learnt and enjoyed listening to others express uechi in there different understandings .
Cough, cough...I have been "listening" and often trying to walk along side of you.
Some students are warriors ... some are priests ... and some are the warrior/priests
Nice
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

Thanks for those responce's ...

So far we have established a foundation ,and for those foundations to be rock solid they need depth ,from a arial veiw if we could station ourselves up above them ,then look down would see the trench's are narrow but clean cut but they cut deep into the earth itself ,and foundations are in a form a type of geometry.
These foundations extracted from the practioner ,in one sense ,so in return something could be added .It is a universal law that to rise upwards some thing must be subtracted ,then and only then can something more evolving take its place .
Out of this blood and tears foundation a very simple concept took root ,among others " singular focus" to aquire it a lot of baggage must be dropped ,so that it can surface and be seen from that arial veiw .
If it was in liquid form it would start to seep into that foundational geometric shape that is cut deep into the earth .it is right under all other qualities that emerge from this foundation , and as we awake to other possibilites it still is there when we take that first puzzle peice in one hand that is sequence seisan it is right behind it .

This is a liquid like force that is quite powerfull in its own right ,I have called it liquid to give it shape and form its strength is in the shape of that geometric pattern seen from that arial veiw .

max.
max ainley

Return to “Creative Heart & Soul Forum”