GEM's computer woes....

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

GEM's computer woes....

Post by Guest »

Well I finally got around to doing something with the heap GEM gave me. Instead of fixing the power supply, I raped it of all the "goodies". I used both hard drives (a 4 and an 8gb). I took the 4gb and built up a PII 300mhz for the college girl, formatted it and slapped ME on it. I took the 8 Gb and threw it in my machine, installed SuSE Linux 8.2 on it and now have a dual boot system (having booted to windows in almost a week now). Anyway, I also found a 256mb ram stick and thought i'd throw that in my machine as well. To my dismay, my ##### started crashing all the time just like GEM would always complain about. After doing a bench mark on the RAM, it was getting errors like an S.O.B! Bummer! I could always use a little more ram to get this old 450 PIII going.

Sorry it took me so long to figure out what was wrong with your old computer George, hah hah!

:D
gmattson
Site Admin

Pleased to learn

Post by gmattson »

that you were able to use the equipment Tony.

My computers are now all working fairly well. Even Susan is beginning to enjoy working with her's.

I ended up getting a Dell 400 (Latitute Cpi) laptop. The IBM just wouldn't accept a mic. (Company tried with three other machines, using my hard drive)

I like the Dell better and can highly recommend it. Haven't had any trouble since loading win2000 on it over a week ago.

Good to hear from you again Tony. Going to be joining us at WinterFest this January???
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

I'm glad you finally dumped the IBM and got another laptop, especially a Dell, George.
Always with an even keel.
-- Allen

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”