DVD help!!

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

f.Channell

DVD help!!

Post by f.Channell »

Hello all,
Went to get some inkjet cartridges and came home with a Buslink internal 4x DVD+RW+r drive. Then picked up a Pinnacle Dazzle digital Video creator 80.
Yes I overdid it a little.
Anyway, I put in the drive okay and it burns music fine, but the video capture is a different story.
It captures the video but not the audio from the old kid tapes. I have tried using my camcorder and vcr to output from. I have also tried different cables and swapped out the Dazzle video capture device for another one and still no audio.
Any recommendations, perhaps reload the software?
The other funny thing is I have 2 different burning softwares.
Pinnacle studio quickstart and Roxio DVD creator. Only the Roxio shows the video. The Pinnacle software shows nothing and comes up with some window showing no hookup.
I also have a dinosaur computer.
766 mhz
128 mb
20gb
Fred
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
Scott Danziger

Post by Scott Danziger »

What kind of connections are you using?

If you can use firewire (1394), use it.

Before you burned your DVD was there audio in the video you made. I am not familiar with Dazzle but I have used Pinnacle software before. Is there audio on the timeline or storyboard?

Also, for video capturing, especially if you plan to burn video to DVD, you really need a FAST machine with lots of ram and a fast hard drive. 7200 rpm minimum with mega room. 20 GB's will not cut it. Trust me on this. The video has to be 720x480 to burn to DVD. My 1st hour long production I just finished was 12 GB AFTER production. I have a 200 GB drive and had 56 GB left when I was done. That includes all the raw footage, transitions, etc... that you delete later. Also, try to get a MINIMUM 512MB of ram.

Also, what format are you capturing with? I know pinnacle uses MJPEG, or at least they did. If you can go DV do it. Sony and MS have good DV codecs.

If you still have problems, Pinnacle has a website with tech forums for people having problems. (or at least they did)

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/wwwmenu.asp?Langue_ID=7

Also, Pinnacle software may not work if you have another similar type software installed. When I had the old DC10plus, I had to remove the DV card my old computer had and remove the software.

Good Luck!

Scott
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

I use Pinnacle and their Video Capture card, and absolutely love it. No problems at all.

However, sometimes software conflicts and those tyo\pes of problems exist. Completely remove one of them, along with all traces from the registry and give it a shot.

Speaking about videos, Fred, send me a pm.
Always with an even keel.
-- Allen
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

Hi guys,
Your talking a little over my head but I'll try to answer.
The Dazzle digital video creator 80 is owned by pinnacle, they put in the software package with it. It connects to my USB port.
I do have pinnacles software as well as Roxio. The video capture is working with the roxio but not on the pinnacle software.
I have 20 GB but have little on it, I plan on keeping the DVD short, but perhaps if I capture the sound too, it will add up faster.
I couldn't hear any sound when I played back the video before burning it.
I just burned it anyway hoping for the best.
Maybe I should remove either the pinnacle or Roxio software and give it a shot.
Also, when I replaced the cd drive with the dvd+cd rw drive there was a wire which I believe went to the sound card. The tech at best buy told me it was only a headphone hookup. Could that be part of the problem??
I could go back in and hook it up easy enough.
Fred
www.hinghamkarate.com
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

dvd+cd rw drive
Are the disks +r or -r?

The tech may or may not be right. Play a music cd with and without the wire and see what happens. Play the dvd in your TV dvd p;layer and see what happens.

I run my burners externally through both firewire and usb 2.0. For my hookups the little wire is unnecessary. However, if your burner is internal you may need at least one of the analog or the digital sound wires.

I use Pinancle's Video card and software and don't have a problem, it just works. But then again it's firewire and firewire doesn't even need drivers. Man, those Apple people ARE smart [Firewire is a registered trademark of Apple]
-- Allen
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

Allen,
It has a "+" above the "_" on the package.
I'll try hooking up the wire.
I burned a couple music cd's no problem.
F.
www.hinghamkarate.com
Scott Danziger

Post by Scott Danziger »

A ± sign means the burner will burn and play both DVD+R or DVD-R disks.

On the Pinnacle software, make sure the sound is set to line in or mic whichever you have the source sound going into the card. I remember now that I had this problem with the DC10+ software (Pinnacle). I believe this will be on the capture portion/function of the program. It is probably a box you have to click on.

Without seeing your inputs, you may have to use your RCA video in and a mic plugin going to your mic or line in on the sound card. This may mean you may need and adapter going from rca cable into the mic or line in jack.

What are your "audio" inputs?
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

Without seeing your inputs,
Fred, do you have a digital camera? Can you take a screen dump of your software?

Hi Scott.
-- Allen
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

I returned the drive.
After the holidays I will likely buy a stand alone unit.
They are $299 now, a lot less in January I'm sure.
Thanks for your input on the input.
Fred
www.hinghamkarate.com

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”