Newest virus... a real pain..

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

gmattson
Site Admin

Options..

Post by gmattson »

Van:

Al mentioned Avast, and I checked it out. Looks like an excellent free service.

I had already subscribed to the Panda service and also encrolled in Zone Alarm's Pro service.

Avast should do the job for you though. Not sure if it will have any conflicts with Norton.

Let me know what you decide.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

George,

I won't be frequenting your forums much, if at all, anymore as I've long ago lost interest but hung in there to help advise and direct in areas and subjects I feel important. Last night I pulled the plug on this set of forums and decided to better use my time toward productive goals elsewhere rather than get continually dinged for what I write.

However, I'll leave you with what it recently took for me to clean my systems out in addition to what I have already recently written about, short of reloading the OS. If you decide to reload the OS, you need to reformat all your hard drives and protect the BIOS on your motherboard else you may spend several days in futility hell.

However, the way I removed insidious creatures was to take command of windows services, find out which ones didn't belong there, shut them down, and then permanently disable them. That phase got rid of one.

The next thing was for me to invade the registry and clean it out. That got rid of another.

I replaced the System32 directory files with my backup set to trash the remaining virus/worm/trojan infestation.

If you are using Windows XP, George, then there are a number of features of that operating system that you must shut down in order to close ports where those things can creep in through the "back door." While XP has many new features, it has the reputation of being fraught with dangers.
Always with an even keel.
-- Allen

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”