Traditional Karate:Another Point of View!

Contributors offers insight into the non-physical side of the Martial Arts, often ignored when discussing self-defense.
gmattson
Site Admin

Traditional Karate:Another Point of View!

Post by gmattson »

From my very dear friend, David Mott. (Who swore a few years back that he would never communicate via email or use the dreaded computer for anything but work!) :)
=====================================

The modality of fear is a cornerstone of some of the the teachings of self-defense. To be sure, every human begins by being well centered in that condition. Karate, however, is a training that not only addresses the modality of fear but offers opportunities to free from that condition.

I recently read some statements from George Mattson who wrote that karate is a means of developing self-confidence. Confidence is one effective tool in mastering the enemy – which is fear itself.

At my dojo, Cold Mountain, mastering fear and its partner anger is the primary goal – not attempting to master external conditions. The mastery of fear allows one to be clearly present in any situation embodying the training that has developed through the repetition of drills, techniques, katas and sparring. These tools are embedded in training that is full contact – without padding. Real situations in real time. I have found that karate from this understanding is life enhancing, not death fearing.

The depth of training which upholds the traditional teachings of Uechi-ryu is demonstrable at Cold Mountain. The students continue to not only join but remain here, many now for as long as a decade or more.

Not only the seniors but the beginners recognize the value of the Way – the seniors continue to penetrate into the depth of the teaching holding their interest with intensity. The beginners are open and fascinated as they struggle to understand.

Over these decades I've watched as the core of the teaching has come alive in my students, invigorating their bodies, their minds, their very well-being as well as their lives outside the dojo – stretching them beyond limits they didn't even know they had. So I know what "traditional" Uechi-ryu Karate Do has to offer. I witness it daily – within and without.
2Green

Post by 2Green »

I'm speechless.

NM
gmattson
Site Admin

An Interesting Lesson From David Mott

Post by gmattson »

Talking about how inefficient and worthless traditional martial arts are, makes wonderfully entertaining speculation and focuses attention to all those other "effective" methods that are being recommended. But the bottom line remains... Unless students continue training, the methods remain . . . just "talk"!

Unless there is something in the training besides basic self-defense, the average, healthy and normally well-adjusted individual will not spend years continuing to train in pure self-defense, regardless of the methods.

That is why the traditional martial arts have been and will continue to be a popular, long-term training habit for normal individuals. Even those individuals who must deal with violence in their day-to-day lives will favor a traditional martial art to stay in shape and to reinforce those practical self-defense weekend courses.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
CANDANeh

Post by CANDANeh »

Mott sensei taught a seminar at our dojo a decade ago, I recall his every word and action as he is a very sincere gentleman and exceptional MA. The post GEM submitted brings the man to mind even if I were unaware of the source...excellent!
Unless there is something in the training besides basic self-defense, the average, healthy and normally well-adjusted individual will not spend years continuing to train in pure self-defense, regardless of the methods.
We have aprox. 50 students (which includes large childrens class) and of the adult group five (5) have been members > 20 years and at least two others I believe have greater than 10 years. One gentleman just turned 77 and rarely missed a class in 7 years of training (he also plays in a local band).
Most of the senoirs are involved in other activities in the community and are known for such more than the study of Karate, and this in my opinion adds credibilty to what we do as MA. Also raising families etc...could be used as an excuss to no longer practice, but yet we form lines as we have done for decades and blend in with those who were not even born when we first sought that "Holy MA Grail."

Traditional certainly has enduring strenghts which we under estimate, it led me personally away from being insecure in myself which I may or may not have overcome. I have also seen charactor built in others at least partly due to the study of a "Traditional system." However, a snack of current methods we are being offered are nice to take for a spin and test drive , but they will only take you so far as few will pursue a lifetime on those specialized methods, especially if they are not faced with the need to use them. I think "GEM" nailed it right on the money, hopefully many of us will appreciate what WE have helped build and influence others to take the drivers seat when we can only open the door.
Léo

Return to “Mind-Body-Spirit Forum”