The Art and the Way

Contributors offers insight into the non-physical side of the Martial Arts, often ignored when discussing self-defense.
gmattson
Site Admin

Post 12

Post by gmattson »

He took a deep breath and looked at the ocean. What now, he thought?

He looked back at Suyoshi, standing expectantly in the surf with the trident in his hands. What in the world was happening? He looked back at the ocean, sighed again, and resigned himself to what seemed to be an inevitable path. He needed a friend anyway, why not a student? At least it would offer him a place to stay.

The Japanese would be looking for him. He could pass some time here, think of a plan. What did he have better to do?

"All right, if that's what you want," Peiching finally said and Suyoshi's face broke into a wide smile. "But I have no place to live." "Please don't worry, it will be my honor to have you stay at my house." Suyoshi was excited. Peiching knew the man was probably startled that he had even taken the proposal seriously. "It is very humble, but there is room. Please don't worry. Come, follow me. Please."

Peiching motioned to his new student and together they waded into the surf and dragged the two dead bodies onto the shore. Suyoshi took the oar and scooped out two graves as best he could, then they dragged the bodies to the edge and rolled them in.

"Toss the swords into the grave," Peiching said.

"The swords?" "

"Yes, throw the swords in."

"But, shinshi..."

"Shinshi!" he grunted. Being called a teacher sounded odd to Peiching. "Please, throw the swords in," he said. "We cannot keep them, it is too dangerous. If someone saw one of us with a sword like these they would know instantly that something was amiss."

"I suppose you are right. But do you think it is a good idea to bury four very good swords in the sand to rust?"

"Please, do as I ask."

Suyoshi tossed in the swords, covered the corpses, then threw rocks over the graves to seal them and followed his new teacher down the beach to dispose of the other two. They found the ground rocky there and Suyoshi jammed the oar into the earth trying to scoop out enough sand. They ended up covering the bodies and four more swords with rocks alone.

As they walked away Peiching looked back. The graves seemed to stand out against the background of the shoreline. He considered digging them up and moving the bodies to a place where the ground was softer, but he decided finally that they only stood out because he was so aware of them and left them as they were.

Peiching pondered what strange twist of karma had led him here at this time to fight and kill these Japanese and meet this fisherman. Where might it lead? He felt more than ever the energy of life flowing through his body and wondered what part he was destined to play in the intricate web of eternal existence that he had been spared death at the hands of these men.

He knew that one of the first things he would have to do was make a lighter oar. This one was definitely too heavy.

End of the First Chapter. What a great book.... Get your copy today!
gmattson
Site Admin

Great News!

Post by gmattson »

Robert Hunt will be our special guest instructor at this year's SummerFest. Watch for updates...
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"

Return to “Mind-Body-Spirit Forum”