Delusions -- Delusions

Sensei Canna offers insight into the real world of self defense!

Moderator: Van Canna

Delusions -- Delusions

Postby Van Canna » Sat Feb 01, 2003 3:50 am

8)

Words like “delusions” or “delusive state” really get to some of us. Some people get really “pissed off” ..Some are driven to depression and sleepless nights from what I am told.

Who me? Deluded? No way man!

Okay, here is a bit more:
Despite claims, most martial arts training does not prepare one to deal effectively with physical aggression. No fighting system is perfect, and most are seriously flawed.

Many black belts possess no practical fighting ability.

Some training methods are worse than useless and may actually erode your natural defense mechanism.

The concept of self-defense relating to the martial arts is hype. People who don’t understand the nature of illness often fall prey to scam artist offering secret cures.

Likewise, those who do not understand violence often fall prey to martial artists offering secret skills.
Invincibility based on the exclusive possession of lethal knowledge, is the core lie—and key dynamic – that drives the martial arts industry.

Lets uncover the truth that should inspire your study after having exposed the lie.

Truth is you want to be free from domination: handing over your lunch to an upper classman, your wallet to a punk, your parking space to a fat slob, your mother’s jewelry to your cokehead boyfriend.

Under the threat of force, all these actions tend to dull life’s luster.
Maintaining your personal freedom can get real physical. Lives are more often limited by threat than ended by force.

You have had it with the threat and want to be able to deal with the force.
[Guess who] :shocked!:

There, now..You have been insulted. Take a warm glass of milk with cookies before you go to bed. :rofl:
Van
Van Canna

Postby Stryke » Sat Feb 01, 2003 3:59 am

hmmm luckily with my extra long black belt , and my spiritual development from lots of esoteric lotus eating karate lessons , I`m now deluded enough to think I`m a pussy .... cat :twisted:

is it the best laid plans of mice and men ?

or is it just are you a man or a mouse ?
Stryke

Postby CANDANeh » Sat Feb 01, 2003 4:24 am

Maintaining your personal freedom can get real physical. Lives are more often limited by threat than ended by force.
Very nice.
If more stood up for themselves less scum would exist and in the long run at less cost in $$$ and suffering. Large numbers of people can be controlled by threat (i.e. of the dictator) but actually he may kill few in order to do so.
CANDANeh

Postby CANDANeh » Sat Feb 01, 2003 4:30 am

Despite claims, most martial arts training does not prepare one to deal effectively with physical aggression. No fighting system is perfect, and most are seriously flawed.

Many black belts possess no practical fighting ability.

Some training methods are worse than useless and may actually erode your natural defense mechanism.

The concept of self-defense relating to the martial arts is hype. People who don’t understand the nature of illness often fall prey to scam artist offering secret cures.

Likewise, those who do not understand violence often fall prey to martial artists offering secret skills.
Invincibility based on the exclusive possession of lethal knowledge, is the core lie—and key dynamic – that drives the martial arts industry.

Can`t argue that in anyway.
Lets uncover the truth that should inspire your study after having exposed the lie.
That is the nice part, if you were fed "delusions" then move on and after straining out the bs refine and develop your abilities. No need to be bitter, most who offered the "secrets" likely believed them as well.
Last edited by CANDANeh on Sat Feb 01, 2003 4:37 am, edited 4 times in total.
CANDANeh

Postby Van Canna » Sat Feb 01, 2003 4:36 am

Truth is, you first must come to grips with what is inside that fabrication you have so meticulously convinced yourself you now reside in. The shell of your martial arts lies and fantasy.

What are you really made of? A good hard look within, as well as a look back, will help identify those personal traits you are hiding, that may well up and size control when you come suddenly under extreme pressure.

Ask the question:

do you have a problem?

You might be a real head case, and in that case you would be the last to know.

You may well have a head screwed on straight, but I would be willing to bet that if you got into this martial arts thing, it is safe to assume that you have at least a few screws loose.

So how long have you been trying to figure out how to sort out the mess in your head that you continue to deny?

If you were to suddenly be made to watch a traditional pig killing ritual, like the ones some of us were brought up with as children of another era, would you be able to stomach it, or would you end up in an institution?

*OUCH* This is heavy, man…
Van
Van Canna

Postby Stryke » Sat Feb 01, 2003 4:45 am

I think it was one of the Gracies that said it ....

A black belt only covers two inches of your back ,the rest you got to cover yourself .......
Stryke

Postby Van Canna » Sat Feb 01, 2003 5:09 am

Swarms of crows blotted out the sky over the city. The people there were heavyhearted by the disturbance. It was also reported that since the beginning of winter, the crows swarmed into all the boroughs..

Cultural history regards crows as the harbingers of something ominous. According to ancient historical records, swarms of crows used to come suddenly to scavenge the numerous corpses of those who died in the wilderness in the years of severe famine or flood. A person said with fright, "Crows feed on dead bodies. Why are there so many crows gathering here in the street and the neighborhood? Aren't they waiting for something?"

In the small chamber a slight robed figure played a small bagpipes. To them the rats appeared to be dancing before the piper, and to one side there was a plate of food, which had been scavenged from the sewers, and to the other there was an eaten out human skull.

She approached nervously noticing that the hood of the piper's robe had concealed a mask that had grim features as if it had been made to scare somebody away. The two decided that it would not be wise to interrupt the piper, as it seemed that the piper was controlling the rats, so they settled themselves before the piper in Lotus position and waited for the piper to finish the tune.

Soon the rats climbed over the two as they were seated, and the two made an effort to remain still as furry snouts sniffed the air inches from their faces. The piper's music slightly changed. She noticed that the rats grew taller and were scarred by disease, a slight tap on her shoulder and she turned to face a titanic skeleton rat. Before passing out she wondered where it had come from.
Van
Van Canna

Postby KerryM » Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:56 am

not sure what you're getting at - BUT- all of that seems more to me to be something to "get at" someone practicing martial arts- if you have a student of martial arts, whom has studied enough to actualy have some better ways of handling an attack- other than just curling into a ball- someone whose practiced enough at training their body- and consequently their mind, there-by effecting their spirit- so that they have a bit of control over their emotions- can step away a little faster- and actualy tell a jerk that they're being a jerk- what an idea it is to actualy try to piss them off- so they "loose" their art- by attacking "that" part about them. They've built defenses so to speak against everything else-

that make sense? kind of like a test- if someone wants to beat you down- hit the ego/or emotion- probably one of the most vunerable spots for a martial artist would be the martial art.

*shrugging sholders* I know I've got a lot to learn and there is much more to this than what I've mentioned- but it's a thought- lol

K

(wouldn't telling someone they are "delusional" there-by suggest the delusion to that person- whether it's true or not? creates doubt is what I'm saying even if that doubt only lasts for a second and is replaced by anger- the martail artist who was angered- felt the doubt)
KerryM

Postby Van Canna » Sat Feb 08, 2003 3:54 am

Kerry,

I know how you feel. These posts are designed to bring one to the rooftop of his mind, and peek back in.

There is a method to the “madness”__

Here is another:
That’s right, 30 seconds on the sidewalk is worth three years in the dojo.
In fact most trained fighters are no different from--- and better than the no fighters, when they are taken out of their game.

To wit: --Sidewalk, Baltimore, Maryland_

> A large skinhead confronts a kung fu student. While attempting to get set, he was sucker punched and then kicked with steel-toe boots as he hit the pavement. The skinhead enjoyed himself very much >

What emotions are stirred?
Van
Van Canna

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 08, 2003 4:25 am

Chapter 1

Reality

"All I saw was boots, lots of boots, Man, long hair *****!"

Breathing

" Effective breathing will maximize your performance. When you are anxious, you may hyperventilate (overloading the blood with oxygen) or simply hold the breath. When you are tired you may be inclined to breath through an open mouth, inviting a broken jaw. Teachers argue about the correct method. All you need to do is grit your teeth and ****** in air without swallowing bloody chunks of snot. When exhaling with a stroke, blow air out through the side of your mouth or through the nose if it's bleeding."

Postby KerryM » Sat Feb 08, 2003 4:52 am

You know I love it- the roof top and look back in-

emotions: skinhead-

1) if the king fu guy had to "get set" he was already in trouble. lol
2) "sucker punch" like the weakness with my glasses- "HEY that's not fair!"
3) made remember a time in younger party days pre-Uechi- a "skin-head" a"Arian-Nation" proclaimed guy was hitting on me in a country bar- little bit of conversation- and I looked him straight in the face and asked "do you really believe that?" (he was talking about his belief "system") "F* yeah! was the response- remember now- pre-Uechi and and blunt when offended- I answered, "wow- I'm so sorry. Not gett'n laid with that kinda line" (*please note- that was for shock value- as he was surely trying to create- I wasn't an easy catch-) his answer- speechless lmao!
I left soon after. :) He was scarey

so with that said- the fourth emotion- skin-head ? Time to go!

If I was sucker puched now- I'd probably get extremely angry- too angry- I've had enough of that- my emotions would probably over-ride any sense I have and I'd probably try to kick his ass. Emotional-wise here- if I was in too much pain- I'd stay down and let him believe he won- play dead- when you're beat- you're beat-

that just sad? lol honest though- if nothing else
KerryM

Postby Stryke » Sat Feb 08, 2003 10:47 am

If I was sucker puched now- I'd probably get extremely angry- too angry- I've had enough of that- my emotions would probably over-ride any sense I have and I'd probably try to kick his ass. Emotional-wise here- if I was in too much pain- I'd stay down and let him believe he won- play dead- when you're beat- you're beat-

that just sad? lol honest though- if nothing else

* neither honest is never sad :) , You dont sound like you belong in a thread about delusion ....... you sound like someone that knows themselves well , thanks for posting
Stryke

rooftop of the mind

Postby Van Canna » Sat Feb 08, 2003 3:09 pm

Van
Van Canna

Postby jorvik » Sat Feb 08, 2003 3:16 pm

The worst case of delusional thinking that I have come across was via a colleague...He was talking about one of his friends ( who I have met)...........This guy is a black belt in Judo and a dan grade in Jiu jitsu, he is a serving police officer and teaches self defence to the police.
He said that if a guy comes at you with a knife..you can tell how good he is by the way he carries it...if he carries it in an Icepick grip then he knows how to use it, because he can block with it :roll: ( Oh. Dear...all those Escrimadors have got it wrong).....
:cry:
jorvik

Postby Don Rearic » Sat Feb 08, 2003 4:59 pm

Being the Residentus Baltimoronus, I must say that I have only seen a few "Skins" in Fells Point. I was "advised" by a reformed Asshead that used to run with "Skins" out in California that there are "Peace Skins" and all manner of them. I just give them all a wide berth. My suggestion is, when confronted by them, expect they are up to no good, they have no right to impede your movement. When they do, try to kick their bag off of the side of their head. I'm serious, people like that are up to no good. Let's say you are a Tourist and you take a wrong turn...they won't be asking you directions, it would be the other way around. They should not be in your face, kick them in the bag and light the fuse. Three to thirty seconds on the sidewalk might very well equal three years in the Dojo, depends on the Dojo and the Sensei.

I think if I were a Sensei, I could not teach any of the Martial Arts Traditionally the way they have been passed down because I'm not a Traditional or Cultural sort of person first. That is second to me. I think anyone that hangs a shingle out that has printed on it the cash-cow of, "Self-defense" should split the Art in two and teach it according to what someone wishes to learn. I think I would start out by citing an Empirical Truth; "Your best stance is whatever you find yourself in when you are approached or attacked, for you must strike in a non-telegraphic manner to begin with."

This is very unpopular to some people. You can teach people stance and that is fine so they understand the concepts of power and stability, etc., and eventually, tell them to forget all of that and work on a more mobile platform. Don't say, "You must generate the maximum amount of power and this is why we do this." But work them so they generate sufficient power from whatever way they would normally be standing or in stride, or attempting to sit in a chair or get up from same. That's the survival element.

Always excellent stuff to think about in this forum. Sometimes I feel urged to expound on something that is a little more peripheral but brought out in the mix.
Stultorum infinitus est numerus
Don Rearic

Next

Return to Van Canna's Self Defense Realities