Kata

This is Dave Young's Forum.
Can you really bridge the gap between reality and training? Between traditional karate and real world encounters? Absolutely, we will address in this forum why this transition is necessary and critical for survival, and provide suggestions on how to do this correctly. So come in and feel welcomed, but leave your egos at the door!
Taekido

Post by Taekido »

I had a longer reply but I'll just go with, 'whatever dude'.

Have a wonderful day.

Mhosea, thank you for the information. I was wondering what that was a reference to. Sounds like some good areas.
David Schultz
Moo Shin Do - Taekido
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Several comments...

First... Dave Young - the moderator of this Forum - comes and goes. He's a very busy professional who spends lots of time on the road.

Second... This Forum isn't a great place to discuss bunkai from kata. Dave Young's focus is "Realistic Training." Kata/bunkai can be "realistic" in the strict definition of the word, but that's not really what Dave's about. He runs a professional organization that certifies LEOs via a fairly strict curriculum. His martial background is in grappling arts, and his present job is to help LEOs do their jobs better.

Third... This is a fairly knowledgeable group of martial artists who mostly practice Uechi Ryu and its myriad lines. We do get - and welcome - artists from other styles, and many on these Forums fall into the category of mixed martial artists (in the strict definition of the word). New posters may find that the group is eager to find out about them. It's not uncommon to find the regulars doing a little homework. And I might add that a number of them are quite good at it.

Please take all this into consideration.

If this thread continues, I highly recommend it be done in another Forum on the Website. Several were suggested by Mike. In order as listed by Mike...

Van Canna's Self Defense Realities

Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable

Women and the Martial Arts

If the discussion gets a bit testy (as this one has) another option is to take it here.

Tough Issues

Thanks.

- Bill
Taekido

Post by Taekido »

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back, thanks Bill for the suggestions. I'd like to touch on a few items if I may;
This Forum isn't a great place to discuss bunkai from kata. Dave Young's focus is "Realistic Training.
Not knowing the nuances of the board can be a handicap to a new poster. This is why I specifically chose this spot due to the 'realistic' part. I feel that CORRECT bunkai is exactly that...realistic. I again direct anyone interested on the topic to view the multitude of articles on Iain Abernethy's website. I am not his spokesman, but I appreciate his and others work. I would also recommend 'The Way of Kata' as mentioned before. It expands greatly the topic, again to those interested.

He runs a professional organization that certifies LEOs via a fairly strict curriculum. His martial background is in grappling arts, and his present job is to help LEOs do their jobs better.
Excellent, he and I then have much in common and I'd very much like to discuss many things with him when he and I have time to interact. As an LEO trainer myself I'm sure we'd have lots of common ground.

New posters may find that the group is eager to find out about them. It's not uncommon to find the regulars doing a little homework. And I might add that a number of them are quite good at it.
Fair enough. If anyone has a question then they are more than welcome to ask. Thinly veiled inuendoes however are for children. I prefer a straight up question. MikeK for example stated I have a 10th Dan...I do not. I asked him to elaborate on this alleged 10th...he did not. As I stated, if someone has a question, ask. If they make a statement, back it up. I have no patience for those that do otherwise as he has found out firsthand.

If this thread belongs in another section, I would humbly ask the admin to move it to the one he feels is the most appropriate. As a board owner myself, it is a simple task that takes but a few seconds.

If the admin would like this particular thread to be closed and reopened elsewhere on the board that is fine as well and I'd be most happy to comply. I never intend a thread to turn into a pissing contest. I do however stand by my views and will defend them and as mentioned, have no tolerance for those that don't know how to disagree but remain unemotional and professional. This is a topic about bunkai...not politics or religion. It isn't something to get that worked up about.

Anyway, thank you for your post. Again, sorry it has taken so long to get back here. Stay safe.
David Schultz
Moo Shin Do - Taekido

Return to “Realist Training”