Summer Camp and my thanks.

Martial Artist get sick, have accidents, become disabled. This forum will focus on how these individuals cope with their condition while staying active in the martial arts and while living life to the fullest. Administered by Sensei Bill Bauknecht. He's been there and doing great! (You don't need to register in order to post here!)

Moderator: Available

Bill Bauknecht

Summer Camp and my thanks.

Post by Bill Bauknecht »

I have been teaching and preaching that uechi ryu can be practiced by those who are disabled, injured, permanently or with temporary injuries. I am one example of that. If you had the opportunity to attend the master's celebration Saturday night at summer camp, you had to appreciate the performance of our two warrior ladies who both proved that with that strong "can do" attitude, anything is possible. Both, permanently disabled, were able to perform to the best of their ability and I am so proud of both of them, I think there were many wet eyes in that crowd and even the front row showed much emotion. It once more proves my point. you CAN continue your training, work around the problem, don't hurt yourself, DON'T ever give up. Rose, again, my congratulations to you, keep up the good work. Your san chin was fantastic. Congratulations to all of the candidates, you all made me feel proud to be part of the Uechi ryu family.
To George Mattson sensei, my sincere congratulations on your promotion, well deserved and again, thank you for a great summer camp. I especially thank you for giving Toni West the opportunity to do her san chin. I know how hard she worked over the last two years and you gave her a new spark in her eye. She never gave up and will go on with her training. For her, she thanks you all, the support that she received from all her brothers and sisters in uechi ryu, you will stay in her heart forever. I thank you as well.
Respectfully,
Bill Bauknecht
gmattson
Site Admin

Thanks Bill. . .

Post by gmattson »

For being the inspiration that Toni needed to continue her training and in the process rebuild her body, mind and spirit after almost losing her life.

Toni did a great job on stage Saturday and all of her Uechi family is proud of her.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
emattson

Re: Summer Camp and my thanks.

Post by emattson »

Martial arts may be considered an equalizer--where a trained elderly grandma can beat up a big bruiser thug. Special needs are the ones who need training the most since the vulnerable are probably the ones bullied the most.

Having a disability tend to increase the risk of sexual violence for both men and women.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4985079/

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu has a good reputation as martial arts for older people because it's low-impact martial art. Karate is another good style for older people. I've known one person with severe hip problems in karate training.
Erik

“Old minds are like old horses; you must exercise them if you wish to keep them in working order.”
- John Adams
eugenephilip572

Re: Summer Camp and my thanks.

Post by eugenephilip572 »

"Summer Camp and My Thanks" likely reflects gratitude for a positive summer camp experience. Expressing thanks to organizers, counselors, or fellow campers acknowledges the impact on personal growth, fun activities, and lasting memories created during the summer. This sentiment conveys appreciation for the enriching and enjoyable moments of camp life.

Visit our Website: https://jeffreykashidabooks.com

Return to “Special Needs”