Restoring and Revitalizing the Uechi Forums

Please start here!
gmattson
Site Admin

Restoring and Revitalizing the Uechi Forums

Post by gmattson »

With the popularization of Social Media, the need for the traditional Forums have been drastically reduced. Most of the martial art forums have disappeared and the few remaining have been relegated to archives of the past.

However, even though I haven't been frequenting the forums very much, I do drop in from time-to-time to check on the number of people who are reading the topics and articles, although not actually posting. Like most guys my age, I get up from occasionally during the night and following a pee, will check in and am constantly surprised with the number of people from all over the world who are visiting. The lowest number I've seen is 20 and the highest was 128. Now for an essentially dormant site, those are some impressive numbers.

Last month I asked our site administrator if she would like to get involved with a project to update and refresh the forums and she agreed.

So far she has, with many obstacles, updated the site, something that had not been done for many years. I toyed with renaming the site to "The Uechi-ryu Library" or even "The Martial Art Library", since the primary objective of the re-build was the preservation of the many years of posts by so many notables in the martial arts. To this end, I would like to ask members of the forums to check in and let me know what you think.

Sorry to say that the number one fan and promoter of the forums, Van Canna, is no longer with us, but certainly his thoughts and many wonderful topics and posts will survive forever.

Thanks for dropping in and I sincerely hope you will help in the re-building of the site and contents, regardless of what we decide to call the site.

Regards,
George E. Mattson
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
C.Salbuchi

Re: Restoring and Revitalizing the Uechi Forums

Post by C.Salbuchi »

This forum is full of very interesting information for new and old students. Sure, Social Media is "top" now and forums are a little behind (more than just a little...) but still, the good thing about forums is that all participants agree to share about specific topics, in an orderly way, so its easier to navigate and read about so many uechi things!

I'm sure this second chance for the forum will be worth!
gmattson
Site Admin

Re: Restoring and Revitalizing the Uechi Forums

Post by gmattson »

Hi Cecelia:

As the Uechi-ryu Forums administrator, I hope many participants will jump-in to help us with the rebuilding process.

One of the first things we should discuss is the name. Should we leave it as-is or modify it to reflect forum's value as an archive of important and valuable past topics and posts, more correctly defined as a "library"?

The Uechi-ryu Library?
The Martial Art Library?

This should start off an interesting discussion.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"

Return to “Introduction & Rules”